Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to plan 5 month working holiday...but need help!

Prophecy is offline Junior Member

Default Trying to plan 5 month working holiday...but need help!

It's a scary thought - but at the same time I'm really looking forward to going to NZ for 5 months with my gf. We plan to go in August-December.

The main reason for going is I am required to do work placement with College (horticulture/agriculture college) of at least 16 weeks. We've always wanted to go there and so I thought this was as good a time as any!

I currently have two responsive contacts for work placement. The problem is I'm not sure whether to go for both (one on each island), or just stay at one. One is:

Boundary Stream, Hawke's Bay, Mainland Island Department Of Conservation.

Both my gf and I have been offered free accomodation and food during our whole stay, in return for our work. (No cash pay but probably works out the same?)

I believe the weather will be warmer here during Aug-Dec. Is that right?

And the other:

Christchurch Botanic Gardens, South Island.

He has a job for just me, and not my gf. He will pay cash, but no accomodation/food.

The guy who runs this place is a friend of a friend, and highly spoken of.

Now I would love to see both islands, but have you any ideas as to how I would get from one of those locations to the other, and how much it would cost?

Would it be worth it, in your opinion?

Do you know of either two locations? How have you found them?

Thanks a lot guys. I really appreciate the info - this should help me decide.

Duke is offline Senior Member

Hey prophecy...cool times ahead for you... I also studied horticulture/arborculture in college, what an enjoyable study.
    We traveled the S Island for reasons like the landscape and size/mtn range/ and plant life..wow!! what a strange place for horticulture...Im from Northeast Ohio and expierencing NZ was a shock, there are plants in bloom at late fall and deciduous trees in brilliant color and trees with no leaves, the grass seemed to always be healthy green and plains to very dry tan color. Every view into the landscape of NZ was like looking into an oil painting. From Wanaka on the way to Haast we drove through the rainforest..must see!!
    No matter what island you choose, you'll want to go back
    Christchurch's Hagley Park,,,is a beautiful arrangement of many plants...The trees seemed to be supercharged in size.
    Have a good time

Thanks a lot Duke - really can't wait to go.

But still undecided as whether or not to go to both islands.

Anyone else?

loopylu is offline Member

I think both islands are great but quite diverse and if you're coming all the way out here and have the option you should really experience both...!!! I'm sure your girlfriend could easily pick up work in Christchurch once you're there if that was a concern... there's so much casual work around so it shouldn't be a problem.

As for getting between the two islands it's pretty easy and not too expensive... you could fly from Christchurch to the North Island (or vice versa) relatively cheaply and then get a bus out to Hawke's Bay, particularly as you would be able to book a few months in advance which would get you cheaper tickets. Maybe have a look at nakedbus.com ? New Zealand cheap bus fares, city to city bus company NZ for an idea of bus prices... they do tickets from $1, particularly booking so far ahead you should get a good deal or Pacific Blue Home for flights prices.

Hope that helps and you have a great time whatever you decide
    Arrived in New Zealand on WHV on 5th Feb '08.

Facebook ID: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=704762406

Cheers for that LoopyLu. Internal flights don't look so bad as you say, and buses seem to cover everywhere.

I just need to sort out my flight over there now...they ain't cheap!

keeweegal is offline Kosher Kiwi
    Blog Entries

Check this Air New Zealand website for cheap fares. If you're flexible when you can travel, they're pretty good - but you need to be quick! They change daily, I think.

For what its worth, I'd go for both islands too - Lu's right, your gf should pick up work in Chch no problem.

hth
    KG
    Inside me is a skinny woman crying to get out but I can usually shut her up with cake!

Thanks Keeweegal!

They look good.

stanley is offline Member

Hi dont know if this is any interest to you or wether it will just confuse things further, but, we have just been staying in a camper caravan park and they did the same sort of deal accomodation provided in Kerikeri in north island, there was loads of work we where booking camp site for another day when an english guy pulled up to park and ask about work, the camp site has a direct line and within 10 mins someone picked the guy up for work. they have loads of student accomodation. The site was kerikeri top 10 holiday park.
    Oh to be that young again.

Paula.

Cheers Stanley. I will have to look in to that!

I got flights booked through Trailfinders at 1000pp, which was basically the cheapest as it includes flights to Heathrow from Northern Ireland.

With regards to car hire, I know I can use my UK drivers license for up to a year, but can I rent a car even though we're only 21/22 years old? I heard something about having to be 25...?

Cheers,

Paul

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

That depends on the rental company - we run a rental car company in Hamilton and our age limit is 21, but a lot of them out there are 25

Good price on your tickets btw

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast