Thread: Vancouver to Aukland

jimc23 is offline Junior Member

Default Vancouver to Aukland

Hello, I'm contemplating a move to NZ, based on an employer sponsored work visa.

I've been told Aukland is very similar to Vancouver, B.C. I'm interested in what part(s) of the city are best for family life, and if someone has the knowlege of Vancouver to compare areas of Aukland to Vancouver subburbs.

Thanks much,
    Jim

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Jim. Sorry to have overlooked your post before. Guess we haven't got anyone on here who's familiar with Vancouver, but I thought I'd welcome you to the forum officially before this slips into obscurity.

Glad to have you with us.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

jimc23 is offline Junior Member

Default Auckland Suburbs

Thanks for your response Motherbear, you really take care of people on here.

Can you give any advice on more desirable areas of Auckland to live. My office will be in the South (Onehunga North area).

Thanks,
    Jim

molly is offline Member

Hi Jim

I only know Vancouver as a tourist, but I think you really can compare the two cities.

Where to live in Auckland? That depends on the money and if you have kids. We used to live in South Auckland (Manurewa) because my husband worked at the airport. I can really not recommend southern suburbs of Auckland like Manukau, Manurewa, Onehunga etc. They are the parts with the highest crime rate and are generally rather shabby. There are some pockets with nice houses, but it really is not optimal for kids. If you work in South Auckland I would probably choose eastern Suburbs like Howick. A relatively good option (traffic wise) would also be west Auckland (Blockhouse Bay, Titirangi etc.). All these areas are really nice, but also quite expensive.

Auckland is a traffic nightmare and public transport is not really working. Therefore I would avoid areas in the city centre or even north as you have to travel south every day. We left Auckland about three years ago, but back then it took me 90 min to get from our house in Manurewa to my job in Parnell (about 25 km). I don't expect that this has improved over the last three years.

Cheers and good luck
    Last edited by molly; 23-04-2008 at 08:19 AM.

kiaora!! is offline Senior Member

hey there!!!

I work in onehunga as well and live in st johns park, it s about 10km away and it takes me 10mins to get to work!

the area is really nice, good for kids and safe. it is quite expensive i guess but worth looking into!