Thread: windy wellington?

spid is offline Junior Member

Default windy wellington?

Just HOW windy is Wellington?

We've not longreturned fromthe Falklands and it was windy 90% of the time with average winds of 30 mph. Bad days were 50 mph and we even hit 70 mph one day. I'm assuming wellington isn't that bad. Am i right?

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

No personal experience, I'm afraid but perhaps you'll glean some idea of how windy Wellie is from this and this .
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

muffin mum is offline Member

It can be bad, it can be good. At the moment the windy is lovely because it is very hot. It has never been a big issue for us and you kind of plan around it. You soon get to know that a winters day with a southerly isn't the time to go for a stroll along the waterfront. Sometimes a nice southerly in the winter makes for a great biscuits by the fire kind of day. Umbrellas aren't really the done thing though and many people wear winter hats and the rain doesn't often fall straight.
    Emma
    Moving to Khandallah at the end of May and becoming a property tycoon. We are renting our current house out!
    Facebook ID-
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=767104133
    Been in NZ since October 2001 and have a Kiwi daughter 4 and a HALF.

Jodie is offline Senior Member
    Tauranga (since May 2007) - Wellington for 3 years before that!

Sorry, but wellington is MIGHTY windy! (It's the main reason we moved actually - there were some days I couldn't go out on my own without getting blown over!!)

But I still think that on a good day, you really cant beat Wellington. Just unfortunately for us we didn't get enough good days to satisfy us for the 3 years we lived there.

Its a great city tho - hope it turns on one of its great days for our wedding down there in April!!

Jod

pleccy2000 is offline Member

Hey Joodie! Wow you left Wellington? And you're getting married?

Seems like such a long time ago in that hog place!

Jodie is offline Senior Member
    Tauranga (since May 2007) - Wellington for 3 years before that!

Hey Pleccy! How's it going? Yep we left Welly and now in Tauranga and we're loving it! (And it was a long time we met in the hog place now - that must be over 3 years back now eh???)

How's things with u guys? Still planning on coming back over?

Keep in touch!
    Jod

pleccy2000 is offline Member

Yes we are coming back to windy welly at the end of the year. We will be driving around the north island, so will pass through Tauranga. Would be great to meet up with you!

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Hi,

We've been in Wellington since Nov 06 and yip the wind is a pain but you do get used to it. Just remember not to wear dresses, skirts or lip gloss and dont bother doing your hair when you go out. Stick with the out of bed look (only kidding)

Wellington is a beautiful city and it would be perfect if we didnt have the wind but then you have to remember that without the wind there'd probably be more mozzies to bite us and the air wouldnt feel as fresh as it does.

During the spring and Summer months it's honestly not that bad.