Thread: What made you choose the area you are living in or moving to?

Andrew Family is offline Junior Member

Default What made you choose the area you are living in or moving to?

The only reason I ask as I am sure you all have your own personal reasons is really to use some of your reasonings to help with our eventual choice of location. I am sure that people would not have moved to South Island for the weather due to it (at times being quite cold) and Wellington for being windy and then ofcourse Auckland being quite cloudy. Could people just give me a few reasons as to why they chose that particular area over other areas and if you tried and tested another areas before settling. I know we will have to make our own choice at the end of the day but it did occur to me for example why Christchurch when it is cold?? This purely for interest reasons but you guys are a valuable source of information................thanks
    Last edited by Andrew Family; 27-01-2008 at 11:03 AM.

keeweegal is offline Kosher Kiwi
    Blog Entries

Good question! We're heading to Hamilton because I have family there (I'm a Kiwi) & we have job opportunities for OH.

Interesting what you said about Christchurch. I grew up there & considered moving back there this time, one reason being the weather! You say its cold, yes in the winter it is, but its usually crisp, cold & sunny. For me, beats the rain & fog you can get further north, such as in Auckland & Hamilton. Also, the summer is dry as opposed to the humidity of Auckland.

My 2 cents worth & its probably all change now cos of global warming

Sal
    Inside me is a skinny woman crying to get out but I can usually shut her up with cake!

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Firstly, I don't think I've welcomed you to the forum yet, so "Welcome, glad to have you with us'

We moved to NZ in 2004 and initially headed for Tauranga after looking at a map back in the UK, having no idea where we wanted to go and pretty much closing our eyes and seeing where our finger landed! (Is it just me, or does 'our finger' sound like Taffy and I possess an independent, floating finger and we sat there and waited to see where it would land? ..... You know what I meant lol) Anyway, Tauranga is a popular first-choice destination and a very beautiful place - some parts of it epitomise the scenic beauty of NZ - but we found, ultimately, it wasn't for us, mostly due to my husband not being able to find work there (he's in IT).

So the next part of our adventure saw us heading down to Hamilton, mainly because we had friends here and they said we should give it a try, so we did! Ironically, within 2 weeks of us arriving in Hamilton, my husband got offered a job with a Tauranga-based company, working from home

In early 2006 we made our most recent move to a small town just outside Hamilton, called Ngaruawahia (I won't bore you with the details as to why!) and are currently very happy here. It may be in the future that we head back towards Hamilton at some point, purely for convenience purposes, but I can't ever see us moving to anywhere too far from here - we lurrrrrrve Hamilton

Sorry for the long post - but you did ask

catt is offline Member

Default why we are heading for Whakatane

My OH is a returning kiwi (wellington born) and he said he didnt want to live somewhere cold and so we took a month out last November and took a week in each of place (whakatane, tauranga, thames, paihia) going from the eastern end of the bay of plenty through and up to Northland. We tried each place out living in a rented fully furnished house like the locals not as a holiday and toured the towns and outer areas viewing property and streets, etc. Using supermarkets and local shops (love the grocers, bakers, butchers etc just like old times here in the UK) and cooked at home making each place our home for the time we were there. We found that out of all the places we saw and lived in ,Whakatane was the place for us in that its small enough to be a community but big enough to get everything you need. Also the climate was just what we are looking for and the networking was a lot easier as we joined in the community acitivities that were happening at the time and through that an our neighbours we came away with a number of friends who we talk to on a regular basis now that we are back. As we are retiring there it maybe is different reasons that we like it, but i may be tearing my hair out after a few months of lotus eating and will probably be looking for a part time job. I was offered work before i left by people we met at a leaving party that our neighbours had for us. Anyway when we get back to NZ (hopefully by September 2008) we will be moving in to the house we left as the owners (a great couple) have offered it to us to rent at much better rate than they charge for holiday let, for as long as we need it and waking up to face the Pacific Ocean every morning will not be an arduous task until our container arrives with all our furniture and we find somewhere more permanent to live.

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Can we clear up this rubish about NZ weather????

I remember reading numerous posts stating that NZ weather wasn't that different to the UK. Well, unless Nottingham, where we came from, has different weather to the rest of the UK, the weather in NZ is nothing like the UK!

When we arrived in mid winter - late July - it was about 12 degrees, bright and crisp. In fact some days were much warmer and warranted nothing more than a t-shirt. The kiwis were all decked with their scarves complaining it was cold, no coats I might add, just sweaters and scarves - ummmm really cold then. Since December we've had a constant 25 degrees usually much higher actually and it's so humid it's unreal, making it feel much hotter. I've heard it's no different down in Christchurch, apparently the SI is much the same as the NI in summer and in some places better. I've heard SI winters are drier than NI due to the rain coming in from the west and disappearing amid the central mountain range. The east coast is defo drier than a lot of the places up here.

Look, no matter where you end up it'll be what you make it. We had no idea where we were going when we got here and defo had never ever considered Hamilton but here we are and loving it. It may not be forever but we won't know what's coming next until we beckon it along.

Enjoy making the choice, it's half the fun!!!
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

(Warning - Glenda essay coming up.)

If you take New Zealand, turn it upside down and plonk it at the same latitude on the northern hemisphere, the tip would be touching North Africa. Of course, in reality it is not has hot as that here - New Zealand is kept as cool by ocean winds and currents as the UK is kept warm by the Atlantic ones.

However, due to the latitude the sun is much much stronger here than the UK, it is brighter, and the daylight hours shorter in the summer and longer in the winter compared to the UK.

The stronger sun seems to make cold days more bearable - especially for those living in badly insulated and heated houses.

Different areas have different climates - Christchurch, Dunedin and Napier areas have cold winters but they also have some of the highest temperatures in the summer and the least rain. The verges are often yellow in colour in these areas during the autumn from lack of rain. Nelson, Blenheim and Wellington areas have a more idyllic weather - plenty of sun, some rain, though Wellington can get very windy. New Plymouth, Hamilton and Tauranga areas are wetter (bit like the west country UK), usually snow-free winters (except for mountainous areas) and get very warm in summer. From Auckland upwards, you would not expect to see snow at all, have plenty of both rain and sun and humidty in all seasons and, whilst the summer temperatures are a tad lower in the north (mid 20's instead of mid 20's to 30's), they are usually the highest in the winter.

You will usually get better weather moving to NZ, though perhaps not as noticeable Dunedin southwards.

Weather isn't everything though - work is important and easier to find in the main cities. Those cities also have more activities and events going on - which are a boon if you are here with no family or friends.

Then there is personal preference - usually applicable to those who tour the country and find an area they hope they will be comfortable living. That is how we decided on Northland ... that and being able to grow your own oranges.
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    We had no idea where we were going when we got here and defo had never ever considered Hamilton.........
    So just what persuaded you to stay here then Dawny Dawn?

Did you not pine for the awesomeness of Auckland or the titilation of Tauranga or the windiness of Wellington?

Or was it just the fact that there was a demi-god in the Hamilton vicinity?

Peeps, y'all need to suck it and see, to determine which area is right for you. Suggestions and advice - helpful, living it and doing it - personal choice. There's a lot of immigrants who wouldn't be seen dead in Hamilton (it's a vair vair underrated city ) but it suits us (and Dawn obviously ).

Personally, I highly recommend Bennydale - look it up