Thread: Auckland info

Andrew Family is offline Junior Member

Question Auckland info

Please could someone give me a list of safe, family orientated suburbes that have good primary schools in Auckland. We have been advised that the Northshore area would be good for work but not sure if it would be any good for living??. There so many suburbes it gets confusing and info and guidance would be appreciated. We would have moderate but not lavish budget.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Andrew Family; 15-01-2008 at 03:58 AM.

keeweegal is offline Kosher Kiwi
    Blog Entries

Hi Dawn

Try & get a copy of "where to live in Auckland". When I was at the emigration expo in London, I registered my interest with The National Bank & they sent me a free copy. I've long since passed it on but you may find someone passing theirs on. Otherwise, register with The National Bank here & they may send you one. They're not too pushy with sending out stuff (even by email) & what they do send is usually of interest.

hth
    Sal
    Last edited by keeweegal; 17-01-2008 at 01:19 PM.
    Inside me is a skinny woman crying to get out but I can usually shut her up with cake!

GaryPhillips44 is offline Junior Member

Hi

Stay clear of the south/west. Howick and Bucklands beach in the south/east are OK. Northshore is much better, there is some work on the shore but it depends what you do, most people travel into the city. The journey is OK, no trains but a fairly good bus link from some places, highway 1 is busy during the rush hour bit it's not the m25.

We have been staying in Albany for 4 months and it is OK, seems very safe and has some good shops. The schools are very good and catchment areas work like the UK.

Gary

Andrew Family is offline Junior Member

Default Thanks

Hi Gary

How long does it take to drive from Albany? Do you know what it is like around the Papakura area?

I am in HR and have seen a few good jobs advertised but most seem to be in the city. We live in Oxford and I was hoping that Auckland would be more like Oxford instead of London in size etc as I hate London, is it??

Many thanks

GaryPhillips44 is offline Junior Member

Hi

we have only passed through Papakura once, not sure if we saw all of it but what we saw was not too good. The southern motorway seems to be blocked far more than the northern too so getting into the city won't be that easy.

By car it takes about 40 minutes for me to get to work, I leave just before 7am. If you can get a job 'downtown' in Auckland there is an excellent bus service from Albany, it has its own bus lane on the mototway and only takes about 25 mins, it costs about $50 a week.

Auckland is not London or Oxford. We are not city people at all and quite like Auckland. Albany is like Milton Keynes, very new and lots of building. The North Shore is a nice place to live and very safe. If you go 2 or 3k north of Albany it gets very rural and there are some really nice places. In fact the best thing is that everything is close by, the shops and beech are all really close

Gary