Thread: Gisborne

TimG is offline Junior Member

Default Gisborne

Hi

We are looking for some honest opinions of living in and around the Gisborne area.

We have been reading some info on one of the sites and it says the Gisborne is mostly Maori, which is great but I am just thinking of education and the future employment opportunities for my children, please don't think I am being rude or anything like that by saying this but I am only thinking of the future as there is so much to think about, as I am sure anyone would understand.

Thanks, Shell

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hi Shell,

Gisbourne isn't a popular choice with people looking to migrate long term, because opportunities for skilled employment in the area are limited. It's only a small, remote area and business growth in the area is small to non existant usually. I've personally never been there, but have been told on many occasions that although a beautiful part of the country, there just wasnt the work or opportunities for the future.

If you like that part of the country, it may be worth looking in to commutes to the larger cities, or moving to a more major area close by.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

TimG is offline Junior Member

Default Ref Gisborne

Hi Taffy,

Thank you for the reply,
    You answered all our questions and it is what we suspected anyway.

Thanks again
    Shell and Family

sandi_gamon is offline Junior Member

Thumbs up Gisbornes great!

I disagree about the prospects in Gisborne - I've just moved here with my family from Melbourne and it does depend on your line of work but there is plenty of opportunity here and its a great lifestyle as well for young children.

I believe that Gisborne has changed alot in the last 10 years and it certainly has the feel of a place on the 'up'