Thread: Kaiapoi - any thoughts or info?

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

Default Kaiapoi - any thoughts or info?

We will be settling in the Chch area next Aug/Sept. I have already posted a thread about areas around Chch. But I was wondering if anyone has any first hand experience of Kaiapoi or any information they could share? Property seems reasonably priced and it is near the coast. It is also the size town we would like to live in. Some insider information would be a great help.
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch

KiwiHopeful is offline God like figure

We've driven around there a few times. It's pretty much identical to all the other outer suburbs--Lincoln, Prebleton, etc. There's the mix of older residential and newer development. As usual, there's ten thousand acres of open space and houses built on postage stamp sized plots.

There's easy access to most of the amenities, though I don't think there's a Warehouse or Pak'n'Save.

I haven't lived there, but I can't think of any reason not to except for the potential problems commuting into the city. There are really only two roads to get from Kiapoi into Chch and they seem to get pretty busy--but, then again, that could be a problem no matter where you live in Chch.

Here's an interesting article from The Press:

Historic rivalry still divides towns - South Island
    EOI Submitted: July 20, 2006
    EOI Selected: August 2, 2006
    ITA Received: October 12, 2006
    ITA Submitted: February 2, 2007
    Migrant Levy Paid & Visas Shipped: June 6, 2007
    Arrived in NZ: July 26th, 2007
    Leaving NZ: June 1st, 2008

johnty is offline Senior Member

go kaiapoi
    kaiapoi is great. small ,but perfectly formed its got a cinema ,pool,bmx track, 2 supermarkets,all the basic shops ,car hire, garages. not far from the beech,right on the mac river for kayaking ,fishing the list goes on and only 15 to 20 mins from chch o and on the down side a macdonalds.
    all the clubs rugby, soccer.
    we are in the process of buying a house there and love it.
    there are about 4 resturants and a rearly good pizza house to .
    any info just ask.i can get online more now,and would be pleased to help

kokopeli is offline God like figure

Quote Originally Posted by johnty View Post
    go kaiapoi
    kaiapoi is great.....
    we are in the process of buying a house there and love it.
    When's the party man?

will give you a shout ,mate
    hows the training going for the big race

hang my head in shame,
    i told a mate at work that i was biggin up kiaipoi (he has lived in kiaipoi 30 years)
    and i mentioned that i said about the four good places to eat on the forum .
    he put me straight, there are 23 places to get a meal if you include the chippys and takeaways.he then went on to ask if i had mentioned the speed way track,the parks and lakes,the river boat, the beach.
    so apoligies to the good people of kiaipoi.
    we are loving it here,met our new neighbours the other night and they invited us up to there for a barbie and drinks,they have two kids a boy and girl the same as us ,and they boy is in our lads class ,and the girl is in our daughters class when the start back.
    been rearly good as the house is needing alot of work ,the kids just take t hemselves off and play (we would not let them out of our site back in england)
    and we get on with the house.
    we are definately in the honey moon period i keep walking around the place with a smile on my face thinking how lucky we are.
    and theres always somthing going on in chch, at the mo its the busckers festival which is rearly cool 2 weeks of weird and wonderfull acts for no more than a donation