Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Plymouth ?

heidi is offline Member

Default New Plymouth ?

Is anyone on this forum living in NP ?

I have done the zillion hours of internet research, filled up my bookmarks with NP links, picked out potential houses, dreamed a thousand dreams ..but now I feel I need the person on the ground perspective!

ebianca is offline Gingery, Peppery & Spicy
    Blog Entries

Hi

Alison made the move and settled in New Plymouth earlier this year- she hasn't been around for a while but if you search through members list you could send her a PM- i'm sure she's well settled now and will be able to tell you about the area.

Beth
    Flights booked for 24th March 2008!
    Landed in Wellington 26th March 2008!!

Job Offer Received 9th July 2008!

Temp Work Permit application submitted 11th July 2008!
    Temp Work Permit approved 4th August 2008!

EOI Submitted 11th July 2008!
    EOI Selected 16th July 2008!
    EOI 'Successful' 1st August 2008!
    ITA Received 8th August 2008!
    ITA Aplication accepted 26th September!

APROVED in Principle 10th June 2009!!!!
    Residency Visa issued 7th July 2009!!!!!

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Flippin New Plymouth keeps callin me |I can tell you. The's flippin loads of places down there with acres and acres for horsies horsies horsies and they are CHEAP baby.

I know I know Taf!!!! He keeps saying, 'Why do you think they're cheap Dawn'

But you just don't understand the way I feel when I imagine riding over those hills with the wind in my hair and the sun on my shoulders.......FREE

Come on baby!!!!

BUT we can't go Taffy's right
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

heidi is offline Member

Thanks.
    Property outside np looks cheap but within the city --yikes!!! (from a north american perspective its is s-c-a-r-y) we're hoping to eliminate the long commute so those lovely distant country properties would have to wait for retirement.

Husband has brought home a pile of little google maps that I am peicing together to form a city map so I can get an idea of distances between potential houses and his work etc. I'm going to find addrsses of shops and put those on the map too (quite the project!)

We still have our house to sell here, and eoi not submitted yet but there is a potential job offer----sheesh we've done everthing backwards!! No quite sure how we imagine living there since husband will be earning half what he does here and they aren't covering moving etc expenses.....but there is the smell of rain to keep me going on this hope!!!

If anyone who knows np well happens on this post lemme know! :-)

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

I think Beth's suggestion of PMing Alison is a good one as long as she still gets notifications from the forum and hasn't binned us completely . She last looked in on us in November so I don't know if she's due for another visit soon or not.

Here's a thread about her feelings on her first days in New Plymouth.

And another brief thread from Lil Amy.

Not a lot of substance in either thread, but they both seem to love it there if that's any help.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Alison is offline Member

Hi Guys!!!

Off course I haven't binned you MB! Just life has been busy the last couple of months so I dont get as much PC time as I used to boohoo

Hi Heidi!

So strange that this time last year I was in the exact same postion as you and was doing all the research, looking at houses on Open2View,dreaming the dream etc hehe, and here we are a year later actually living it and actually living in one of the houses we saw on Open2View and liked the look of!!!

Ok, let me think what would be useful to tell you ...... hmm well let me start by saying I LOVE NEW PLYMOUTH!!!! It is a beautiful town, people are incredibly friendly, they couldn't do enough for us in our first couple of months when we where finding our feet, so different from what we ever experienced in the UK. The town itself is a nice size, not massive, not small and is more than big enough and has just about every type of shop you would ever need, the main high street and shopping arcade, and then all the big Supermarkets are on the same road as well. Depending which area you ended up living in quite a few areas have there own little shopping centre as well. Nothing is too far from one thing, probably driving from one side of the town to the other would say take 20 mins if you had no traffic, apart from rush hour and in the main city centre roads traffic is never a real problem luckily.

Who is the possible job with? Then I can give you an idea of where it is amd how long from different parts of town it would take to get there, but I think I am fairly safe to say it wont be a long time even from the edge of town where we are. We live in the suburb of Highlands park which is right of the NE edge of town so we are right out from the town centre and right on the edge so have the best of both worlds, and you would be surprised how many people who have fair sized sections out here have animals of varying sorts hehe. Again depending on where you work having a little house in the country is still easily doable without a massive journey into work, be it living out in the country or heading out to the townships about 15k out of town like Inglewood, Egmont Village, Oakura, Okato, but apart from Oakura which is such an up and coming area so house prices are sky high there as it is on the coast all the others you get a load more for your money as they are inland, and the further inland you go the cheaper things get normally, but looking at a house out in the country you would be looking at about 30 mins drive max for most cases, unless you went really far out We bought our 4 bedroom, 2 bath house for $350,000 and as long as you are not looking for a new property you will be able to find something you like for a reasonable price.

Areas in town, there are quite a few and the only area we where ever told to steer clear of when looking at houses/schools etc was Marfell as it is the 'rough' area of town but otherwise people said there is nowhere that you should avoid though some areas are more sort after than others. School wise again there was no ones to avoid apart from Marfell (our son is 7 so we are talking about first school here) and there are some REALLY good schools in NP according to people, our son goes to Welbourn school and I have to agree, it is absolutely great and he really enjoys it there! As with anything some are more sort after but a lot of schools are zoned now so it will depend on where you end up living as to which schools your kids will go to. Intermediate schools there is the choice of 2, Devon Intermediate and Highlands Intermediate, Highlands is the sort after one and thought of as a brilliant school. High schools there is NP Boys and Girls High, both excellent reputations, Spotswood College not thought of as highly as the other 2 but still heard good things of it, plus there is the religious based schools which has great reputations and apparently do have to take a quote of non relious students each year. I love that the schools seem to encourage the kids to be so active, loads of sports clubs even for the youngsters, Miniball, Cricket, Soccer, they do fitness each day and in the Winter when we first got here they did x country which they just dont do in the UK for infrants school! My son loved it hehe

Weather, well we've been here since July so seen winter and spring/early summer weather and haven't been put of, dont get me wrong we had some real windy/wet weather back in the winter but for me its winter so I just expect bad weather, whereas come spring it has for the majority been lovely weather, we've had some bad weather still but its getting less and less and it had been hot and sunny up until mid last week when to welcome Elton John to the Brooklands Bowl it chucked it down haha

Things to do, well even though we've not gone out of our way to do loads of stuff there is so much to do, off course you have the mountain which is beautiful by the way, and you have 2 visitor centres up there and the ski fields, we went up to the North Egmont Visitor centre our first weekend and had a look around, there is quite a few trails around the mountain for tramping but you do have to be prepared and have a change of clothes etc as weather conditions can change so quickly up there, it can be clear blue skies one minute and 30 mins later it has clouded over and can be cold and wet, so while it is a beautiful mountain I have learned to have a lot of respect for it and would not go up there unprepared now. But once up there wow, it is an amazing view You have the coastal walkway from one end of town to the other which is beautiful, you have the port to go spend time at, it has some nice little beaches, can hire kayaks. go out on a boat trip to Sugar Loaf Marine Reserve where there is a big seal colony, or have the yummiest Fish and Chips ever lol, the chip shop there has won regional award for the best F&C shop and wow do they deserve it hehe, just a lovely place to spend a sunny day. Beaches everywhere, lots of beaches good for surfing, or quieter beaches for just having fun with the kids. I have taken up learning to ride, I go out to some stables nearer the mountain and am having lessons which I love! Really there is so many things to do a few Zoo's, Pukekura park and the Festival of Lights is about to start for the summer hols, we have a list about a mile long of places to visit lol

Oopsie, I have gone on a bit hehe but do you get the impression I like it here hehe ..... I have been lucky and made some really good friends quickly which I am sure has helped the feeling of settling in but even so I still think I would love it here and besides you will have at least one friend waiting for you when you arrived

Any questions fire away and let me know who your hubbies possible job is and I can let you know anything I know about them. Money wise, yes unfortunately wages aren't as good here, my husband took a wages cut to come here but we are glad we have come :)

Ali
    x

heidi is offline Member

WOW! and THANKS so MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is exactly what I needed! I am composing a longish pm to you, hubs says I gush too much! I am just so so excited!

chellecanuck is offline Junior Member

My Partner lives in Taranaki, born and bread. I was there last summer for 2 months and will be moving there in June. If you have any questions Me or my partner could probably help you out. I love New Plymouth and the entire Taranaki area!

Jof
    Jof is offline Member

Well chelle I'm making a note of your name <scribbles on notepad>.

We visited NP last year and loved it. We would seriously be considering moving there, except that we are resigned to working in or near one of the big cities. (I am in IT, my partner is a prison nurse)

kiwiguy is from NP as I recall.

Jof

kiwiguy is offline Member

Yes I am also in New Plymouth been here quite some time
    And if you need any info feel free to PM me and like any place there are some good and bad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast