Thread: manukau, north shore and waitaikere dont exist!

HamSammich is offline Junior Member

Default manukau, north shore and waitakere dont exist!

Has anybody else noticed this?. These are the second, third and forth most populated cities in New Zealand, yet on the news, in newspapers and everyday conversation etc they never come up. Auckland, Manukau, North Shore and Waitakere are four individual cities in the Auckland Region each with there own city councils, mayors, CBDs and so on. Everybody seems to think that the Auckland Region (or at least the central part) is Auckland City. Ask anyone what's the population of our biggest city and they'll tell you its 1 million (the pop. of our biggest region, not city). Everyone talks about "flying up to Auckland" or "flying from Auckland to Sydney", the airports in Manukau (and yes i know its in the Auckland region but then you'd never hear anybody say theyre flying from Dunedin the Canterbury for example). Next time you're in the supermarket look at the adresses on boxes and you'll see "Mangere, Auckland", "Henderson, Auckland", "Glenfield, Auckland" etc. None of theses suburbs are in Auckland City. Auckland Region is no diferent from any of the other Regions in NZ, so why does no one ever distinguish between the different cities in it, because they don't know the difference. Is anyone else bothered by all this?

FYI the Waitakere was the host city for this years Netball World Champs, not Auckland like it says on the official website

Few links to back up what i've said

first 2 pages of this pdf document
    http://www.manukau.govt.nz/uploadedF...s/Glue_Ear.pdf

bottom of this page, showing Alk, Manukau, Waitakere and NS as individual cities
    The Quality of Life Project

OMG look at this dude, lived in Manukau all his life yet he doesn't even know the name of his city
    Paul Pavletich for Mayor - Together anything is possible
    Last edited by HamSammich; 05-12-2007 at 02:02 AM.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Do you think that maybe it's because the area is so built up that the different cities all seem to merge together? In the Waikato, there's clear space of several kilometres between each town, so it's simple to distinguish what is a different town or city. Auckland suburbs and city's mostly all run in to one another. Perhaps you're right though, maybe just no one cares enough about it?

The airport naming is the same in many places. Where I come from, "Cardiff International" airport isnt actually in Cardiff, it's in a small town called Roose, several miles away! Bristol airport also couldnt be further from Bristol if they tried!

I know what you mean though. It's not good that these places get forgotten about. It's even worse for me as I come from Wales, which according to most people not from the UK is part of England. They don't seem to appreciate that Wales is an entirely different country, but just happens to be part of the UK!!! In fact, most people think the country, including Wales, Scotland and Ireland is all part of England. It's like saying Spain and France are part of Germany.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

HamSammich is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
    Do you think that maybe it's because the area is so built up that the different cities all seem to merge together?
    That would definitely be part of the problem/ reason, that and the fact that Auckland, which just happens to be sandwiched in the middle of the three other cities, shares its name with the region.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
    In the Waikato, there's clear space of several kilometres between each town, so it's simple to distinguish what is a different town or city. Auckland suburbs and city's mostly all run in to one another. Perhaps you're right though, maybe just no one cares enough about it?
    Waitakere is commonly refered to as "West Auckland", Manuaku as "South Auckland" and North Shore as "Auckland's North Shore" so I think people are able to distingush between the four.

Of course, Lower Hutt/ Upper Hutt and Porirua also have the problem of sometimes being grouped together as if they are part of Wellington City
    Last edited by HamSammich; 05-12-2007 at 03:46 PM.