Thread: Kapiti Coast

sms1 is offline Junior Member

Default Kapiti Coast

Hi

Can anyone tell me what the Kapiti Coast is like. Probably moving to Paraparaumu in Feb 08?.

Thanks

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

No personal experience of this area, but here's some general reading matter in case you haven't already seen it.

Paraparaumu
    Kapiti Coast
    More on Kapiti
    Check up on the neighbourhood demographics
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

kokopeli is offline God like figure

We spent a week or so on the Kapiti Coast in December last year. Paraparaumu has a reputation as a bit of a retirement resort. It had a nice 'feel' though and reminded me a bit of Le Touquet in Northern France - nice wide streets, big wide beach, sunshine, lots of older people in sandals and shorts..... There were loads of attractive houses for sale, but there didn't seem to be too many local opportunities for work. Then again, it's not too far from Wellington so you could commute.

Bear in mind that the main Kapiti Coast highway (SH1) is well known for its accident blackspots and isn't a road I'd want to drive everyday. I think I read in the paper that Toll (the road agency) are working to improve the main junctions and extend the dual carriageway sections, so it might get better.......

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

We thought we might like Paraparaumau when we were still in the UK and it was one of the areas we checked out. Like Koko suggests for you, we intended to commute into Welli. Our opinion, and it's just our opinion, is it's too far to commute, agreeing with Koko, it's not a good road although there's a train station there so you could catch the train, I've heard it's expensve. It defo has an old folks feel, it reminded us of upmarket seaside Britain, the kind of place wealthy pensioners retire to. It felt sterile to us. Too prim, cultivated and served up. The properties are all quite close together, all vying with each other for sea views. There are loads of new houses being built but in such a way that the place feels like one big housing estate full of cul de sacs. Needless to say we didn't stay.

Something you have to be ready for when you head here is that hardly anywhere is what you imagine it to be like. The best thing is to come with an open mind and unless you've been offered employment before you leave have a look around until you find somewhere that feels like the right place to be.
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

Thanks

My husband had been offered a job! What the other surrounding areas like? I believe there is a shopping mall

Thanks for the infor about the highway, I hate driving at the best of times so this should be fun!!

Pulsarblu is offline God like figure

If the job is in Wellington city, then commuting everyday from Paraparaumau is quite far and train can also be expensive for monthly transport.

Pukerua Bay should be nice too or Plimmerton or even Porirua. All three towns are nearer to Wellington city and still have sea views (If that is important).

Thumbs up Kapiti Coast

Thanks, my OH will be working in Paraparaumu, so not much commuting so we would probably live around there? Any suggestions?

sms1

molly is offline Member

Hi!

Living at the Kapiti Coast is great - not only for retirees. We live in Waikanae and we absolutely love it. More space, lower rents, less people, more relaxed than in Paraparaumu. There's lots to do here. It takes us 50-60 min to Wellington, which is not too bad either. The public transport is actually working (which can not be taken for granted here in NZ). It is true that many wealthy Wellingtonians retire up here at the coast (which is sometimes a nuisance because they hardly drive faster than they could walk), but on the other hand, everything is well maintained because enough money around. The best is probably the weather - we have as many hours sun per year as Nelson, which is pretty good. Property prices are also still rising here. To cut it short - it's a great place to live.

muffin mum is offline Member

We live in Raumati and are just on the move to Wellington. We have loved our 6 years here but hubby is fed up with the commute. It is a lovely place and not for just the old at all. Raumati is the more arty/cafe end with lots of young families, it actually has 2 primary schools and it's own little village. There are good places to eat out and Wellington is not far. Even with our move we will be spending lots of time up here. Friends are easy to come by and I have made plenty that are keepers when we move. Send me a private message if you want to know any more.
    Emma
    Emma
    Moving to Khandallah at the end of May and becoming a property tycoon. We are renting our current house out!
    Facebook ID-
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=767104133
    Been in NZ since October 2001 and have a Kiwi daughter 4 and a HALF.