Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pets and rentals

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Pets and rentals

Have pet, can't rent
    By EMMA PAGE - Sunday Star Times | Sunday, 18 November 2007

Pet owners struggling to find animal-friendly homes in a tight rental market are using novel techniques to impress potential landlords.

Property managers say offering an extra week's rent as a "pet bond", providing references from vets and taking the dog along to meet the landlord are common.

Aucklander Nick Cooper recently launched the Pet Property website to help animal owners find suitable rentals. He estimates only 10% of advertised properties allow animals and says many landlords don't consider allowing animals despite tenants often being willing to pay extra. He also knows first-hand the frustration of looking for a house.

"Some of the properties that say they are pet friendly aren't even fit for people."

About six dogs a week are left at the Auckland SPCA because their owners can't find pet-friendly housing and in Wellington, 117 animals have been surrendered to the SPCA since February by owners moving to "no pets allowed" properties.

SPCA spokeswoman Lisa Snow says people need to think about the consequences of having a pet before getting one and make provisions to keep them if they move.

"They're part of your family you wouldn't leave the kids behind."

Aucklander Amanda Carston has been searching for two months for a rental place where she can take her burmese cat Prada. "It's crazy."

But Harcourts group national property manager co-ordinator Carol Benny said although she knows responsible owners are struggling to find suitable places, she also knows of cases where pets have damaged properties, including a dog that scratched through a laundry door and a room ruined by mould caused by a tropical fish tank.

Ray White Glenfield tenancy manager Shannon Corbett recommends people taking the pet, especially dogs, to meet the landlord. Cooper suggests emphasising that pet owners tend to be longer-term tenants and dogs can be good security.

Landlords may also respond to offers to get the house professionally cleaned, to pay for any damage caused by a pet, or to pay the maximum four-week bond rather than two or three.

From here .
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

sms1 is offline Junior Member

Default Pet Rentals

Hi

Planning on moving to NZ in Feb 08 with our pet, is it really that hard to rent a decent property?

Plus does anyone have any experience of the Pet relocation services.

Thanks

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sms1 View Post
    Plus does anyone have any experience of the Pet relocation services.
    Which country are you in? If it's the UK Golden Arrow has a good name. Have a look on the NZ Website List under Pets and Pet Shippers where you'll find some useful links.

A lot of people have experienced difficulty in finding accommodation when they have a pet, but it's not impossible. I think maybe cats are better accepted than dogs. Perhaps approaching the owner of a potential rental personally and letting him/her see your pet might be one way of encouraging them to accept it, rather than being knocked back continually by real estate agents.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Yes it is hard to find a rental that accepts pets. They can be found but are few and far between. We were really lucky with our place but we looked at dozens before finding it!

What animals are you bringing over, how many and what size?
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

Thanks

We are currently in the UK, I have left paperwork with my Vet here to work out a price and I've had a couple of quotes, but it's not just the money I'd rather go with a recommend. We've looked at a few on Trade me, but I agree the oweners may be happier once they have seen the dog. She's a toy poodle so they don't shed any fur at all. Thanks for your advice, I'll keep in touch and check the forum.

I will be bringing one small dog, she's a toy poodle so is no trouble at all she doesn;t shed hair etc. I am hoping that we can find a decent rental, might even stay in pet friendly hotel for a week or so.

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

I've read articles in the paper that recommend having a pet "resume" to submit to prospective landlords. Vaccination records suggest that you really care for your pet and former landlord recommendations are helpful. If it's a dog, include certificates for obedience training. In my case, I'd probably include photos of the interior of my current home to show that I take care of my stuff, and wouldn't tolerate cats that shred and spray.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

johnty is offline Senior Member

we are staying in a rental that allows pets (we have 2 labs and a cat)
    it did take some finding though. its more of a holiday home a wee bit rough aroud the edges but ok .its about 25 mins north of chch near kiaipoi.
    if you are interested give us a pm and iwill pass on details the couple who own it a great .some kiwis we know have almost ended pu homeless because they cant find rentals that will take pets

MJ71 is offline Junior Member

Hi
    We were really luck with renting a property. We went in to the agent and told them we had two dogs in quarantine that would be coming home in a couple of months (from SA). The agent had 3 properties to show us straight away including a brand new house which we took. We were also told we would have to pay an extra bond when the dogs arrived. They have been here a couple of weeks now and all good so far although no one has contacted me aout the extra bond.

alanalicks is offline Junior Member

Default 2 Pudy Tats!!

Hi all

I am hoping to relocate from the UK in a year to 2 years... (depends if i can actually wait that long, and at the moment i cant!!)
    and when i do i want to bring my 2 cats with me. Now, to solve the problem in the UK i just moved them in after i moved (yes, they dont know their there!) but i am assuming thats not the best thing to do if i am moving to a new country!!

i no people on the forum have said about letting the landlord meet the pets but i cant imagine i would bring them over till i had settled, and i dont want to leave them behind as it would mean they'd have to go off to be rehomed in a shelter and it would be like losing a limb!!!

Im looking at Wellington (although the thought of Hamilton keeps popping in my head!)
    alicks x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast