Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: rented properties & pets??

monica is offline Junior Member

Default rented properties & pets??

hi,
    here in england if you rent property, the landlord rarely allow pets. is this the same in NZ as we have a cat and a dog and would really like to bring them if we immigrate ?
    monica

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Monica,

. Pull up a seat and avail yourself of all the forum has to offer.

Pets and rentals........ a very emotive subject on here. Cats will probably be no problem but, yes, there can be difficulties finding rentals that will agree to take dogs. That's not to say it's impossible, as several of our members have found. It just takes a lot more hunting around sometimes.

Perhaps if you do a search for the terms 'dog' or 'dogs', you could bring up previous posts about this topic, which may be helpful. Dawn, one of our star members, has recently found accommodation that will take her thundering great dogs and she is moving again in the very near future so these places are available.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Hi Monica,

Welcome to the Forum,

As MB said there are a lot of posts already in here which relates to animals and rented places.

From what we've found from being out here, you have more luck finding rentals that allow pets if you're in smaller cities or towns.

The larger ones like Wellington and it's suburbs rarely allow pets. Although the good thing is that most aren't furnished so you may be able to ask when you enquire about rentals if they'd allow well behaved pets as there's no chance of them wrecking their furniture if it's unfurnished.

You'd probably also have more luck if you tried to find a private rental rather than going through Estate Agents.

Good luck with things when you start your search!

monica is offline Junior Member

Smile more questions

hi MB

thanks for the help. i hope you don't mind but i've got loads of general questions to ask, so here are some of them if you or anyone else can help...
    what side of the road do you drive on in NZ?
    do the supermarkets have 24hr opening?
    do i have to get a job if my hubby works out there (optomist that i am)?
    what age do kids leave high school?

and that's just a few questions!!

regards

Monica

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Monica,

Thanks for the questions - they're what keeps us going.

In NZ they drive on the same side of the road as the UK.

I'll ask those folks already in NZ to correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the supermarkets open 24 hours. I didn't come across any on either of my 2 visits there. They seem to open around 8 a.m. - 8 or 9 p.m.

You don't HAVE to get a job if your husband works, but you can certainly find a job if that's what you want. If your husband is the principal applicant and he gets either PR or a WP (you don't seem to have told us your situation) you will automatically get a work visa off his back. The choice is up to you whether you use it or not.

Not sure about what age they leave high school but I'm assuming 16. Hopefully one of the others with kids will elaborate on this.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

welwynrose is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post
    Hi Monica,

Thanks for the questions - they're what keeps us going.

I'll ask those folks already in NZ to correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the supermarkets open 24 hours. I didn't come across any on either of my 2 visits there. They seem to open around 8 a.m. - 8 or 9 p.m.

You don't HAVE to get a job if your husband works, but you can certainly find a job if that's what you want. If your husband is the principal applicant and he gets either PR or a WP (you don't seem to have told us your situation) you will automatically get a work visa off his back. The choice is up to you whether you use it or not.

Not sure about what age they leave high school but I'm assuming 16. Hopefully one of the others with kids will elaborate on this.
    my OH is hoping that I get a job offer first & then he thinks he can become a "lady that lunches" I've told him no chance

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

There are some supermarkets that open 24 hours in the bigger cities, there is one here in Hamilton but I can't remember which one it is, never needed it. Defo some in Auckland. The thing is no one's bothered here, you have to get out of thinking the same way as you do in the UK because the lifestyle mentality is completely different.

Education system is same as UK. School till 16 or coming up 16 then stay on at school till 18 or college then uni.
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post

They do drive on the same side of the road, but be aware that there are a few fundamental differences between driving in the UK and driving in NZ - the Give Way rule for one. You can swot up on the Road Code (the equivalent of the Highway Code in the UK) to get it explained in detail, but basically, if you want to turn left at a junction and a car coming towards you wants to turn right into that same road, THEY have right of way. By the same token, if you are the car that wants to turn right, YOU will have right of way (providing there are no cars wanting to come stright on!). Seemed an odd rule when we first got here and it took some getting used to, but it seems to work.

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Hi Monica,

I think the only supermarket's I've seen that are 24hrs are Pak 'n' Save and Woolworths but not all of them open 24hrs. Most in Wellington open until 10pm and close earlier on a Sunday.

As Dawn mentioned you have to get out of your way of thinking when you come across here. It doesnt take long trust me - you'll settle in no problems and wont even remember what 24hr shopping is like.

I also think that some supermarkets do online shopping but it's fairly new. I've only heard of this in Wellington but would assume that the larger cities do this as well?

Welshgirl mentioned the road rules. I'd defo swot up on those. You know you can get your car towed if you park on the road not facing the way the traffic goes!

There's a lot of wee things like that to learn but that's what this forum is all about :O)

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LilAmy View Post
    You know you can get your car towed if you park on the road not facing the way the traffic goes!
    I didn't know that...... and I only passed my theory test 4 days ago

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast