Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pegasus town?

Itchy feet is offline Junior Member

Default Pegasus town?

Hello, I'm Itchy feet: mum to 3 year old twin girls hubby & I are planning the move to NZ.

Can I have some input about Pegasus town? Pegasus Town, North Canterbury, New Zealand: Property development, Property investment, Lifestyle property. Pegasus Bay Christchurch NZ

Manmade/manufactured monstrosity or fantastic giant playground for kids (of all ages)?

Despite my love of 'real' nature, I am very attracted to the idea of living within walking distance of all these oudoor activities. I like the Christchurch area (beaches, skiing, walking & city life), but have been told that the sea is freezing even with a wetsuit & the pegasus town lake will be warm & safe for kids.

Anyone else have any thoughts; both positive & negative gladly accepted.

Am considering buying a house & land package before prices go out of our reach.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Itchy Feet and to the forum.

Sorry I don't have an knowledge of Pegasus Town , but maybe some of our members from the Christchurch area have heard of it. Sounds like they are either about to start or are still building it, so maybe it'll be a bit difficult to get views about living there, but I hope that someone may have heard of it and can give you some background information.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Talking Thanks for the welcome Mama B!

It's nice to be welomed onto the forum.

Yes, its in the early stages of construction, but there will be people living there from some time next year.

I think that if we wait for construction to finish, the prices will be beyond our reach.

Thanks for your input Mother bear.

kokopeli is offline God like figure

I've been past Pegasus Town a few times. It looks like a big hole in the ground at the moment as the developers are putting in the roads, drains and other services. I'm sure it will be fine, but personally, I wouldn't want to live there. My main reasons for saying that are:

1. It's between Kaiapoi and the sea - prime tsunami belt.
    2. The road into Chch from the north is hectic now - it can only get worse when 5,000 people move in to Pegasus Town.
    3. It reminds me of the 'new' towns like Cambourne in the UK. I wouldn't want to live there either.

I'm not saying that these reasons are entirely rational and I'm sure that the developers will do a lovely job.

Smile Thanks Kokopeli.

I was aware of the flood risk, but not the risk of tsunami, so that was welcome information. They are building on high sand dunes and have storm defenses in place, but I am researching their Geotech report a little more closely. Actually the whole of the NZ coast is at risk of tsunami to some degree, it seems.

I entirely agree about new towns, however since having my twins, I am now willing to sacrifice 'wildness' for safety & fun for them & a huge warm shallow lake is very appealing. We'll see...

Naddiecat is offline Junior Member
    Pegasus Town, North Canterbury, New Zealand
    Blog Entries

Default Pegasus Town - best location in New Zealand

Hello, this is my first time on this forum and not sure if I'm doing this correctly but here goes. Itchy feet, I found your post when searching on google and therefore joined up so I could talk to you. I currently live in Pegasus Town and absolutely love it! more than I thought I would. My husband and I built a house here and moved in just before Christmas. If you are still interested, I would love to talk to you about it.

Lawrence is offline Junior Member

Building on sand, sure I have heard something about that before on sand dunes sounds even more interesting, I thought I had heard that they have earthquakes there? liquifaction anyone?

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Sorry Naddiecat, it looks like Itchyfeet hasn't been on the forum since Sept. 07.

We have had other enquiries about Pegasus Town in the past so I'm sure someone somewhere will be interested in your views.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Lawrence is offline Junior Member

Hi, I did a little research and quite a lot of NZ could be affected by factors mentioned above but apparently in Ch Ch and elsewhere when you are buying a house the legal people will inform you in writing that the house could be adversly affected by liquifaction, how reasuring Also even a lorry parked on a road with it's motor running can get that sinking feeling!
    I'll look for a rock above 35 meters to build on

tick tock is offline Junior Member

yes you are right.....means in the event of an EQ the soil vibrates and water comes up,,,sounds bad,,BUT lots of factors need to be in place for it to happen.

Lots of places in the UK/USA/Europe have the same thing........Texas and the southern states are one big jelly!!!!!!

In other words...dont worry!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast