Thread: Cleaning log burners?

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

Default Cleaning log burners?

Being a little naiive about these things so sorry in advance Do log burners need cleaning out and how do you clean the chimney's? Do I have to send my small son up with a brush or can it be done a little bit easier?
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Nick,

I think it's advised that chimneys are swept once a year and there are sweeps who can do this. Alternatively, just wait until Christmas and Santa will do the job for you.

It's an idea to have log burners 'serviced' too to make sure seals and other bits and pieces are still sound and in place as some deterioration can occur, especially with older ones. Not sure about daily cleaning out as, luckily, I haven't been in NZ when it's been cold enough to have the burner on.

Taffy had ours done after they moved into the house so he may hopefully be able to let you know about costs etc. and to confirm if the burner service should be done annually and whether it needs to be cleaned out daily.

In fact, I probably should have kept quiet and just let him answer in the first place, as he knows a lot more about it than me.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

You pretty much answered it all there Bear.

The chimney sweeping people should check all parts of the burner, to ensure it is operating correctly. Depending on the model of burner, this would include door seals, chimney liners, roof plates and heat bricks, as well as the state of the chiney itself. It doesnt cost too much, unless you have to have any repairs done, but does need to be done every year else it can invalidate your homes insurance.

Day to day cleaning, just a fire shovel and bucket to clear out the ashes.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Be sure to burn a hot, clean fire. This will help reduce the amount of soot/creosote buildup in the chimney, and thus reduce the chance of a chimney fire.

I did have fun imagining your son wearing a steel brush tutu as he slid down the chimney!
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Brucey is offline Junior Member

We just had a inspection and clean of our log burner and chimney, cost us $60 and they cleaned it all.
    Kiwis in Training