Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Palmerston North

ShellBda is offline Oh Masterful One

Default Palmerston North

Hello,

I am new to this site but I have used other forums in the past. I adopted a baby boy last year from Guatemala (as a single mom) and was part of an adoption forum for almost a year. The forum kept me going through the biggest emotional, stressful event of my life - but he was definitely worth it! He is 1 1/2 years old now. The fact that I am in my early 40's makes me question my sanity sometimes but so far I am keeping up!

Now, because I am a sucker for punishment, I am working towards moving to New Zealand in July 2008. I know that this is going to be another stressful event in my life and I hope you don't mind my using this forum to help me.

I have lived in Bermuda all of my life. I have a well paying job, a new apartment and live a comfortable life but....I have had enough. I feel like the island is closing in on me and I am starting to suffocate. It is extremely expensive to live here but the salaries generally balance things out. There are many reasons for my desire to move, to many to list here but know this, this is not a decision I am taking lightly. This move is mainly to provide a good life for my son, and I don't mean monetarily. Of course, if I happen to meet a good looking, strapping, muscular rugby player - then who am I to complain?

My best friend Jill, also a single mother, and I are planning to try to move to New Zealand in 2008. We have already started reviewing all of our options with Immigration and had a preliminary consultation with a company in New Zealand about our options.

We have a few old friends who live in Auckland and Palmerston North. Palmerston North is where we intend to live assuming we can find employment and so forth. We are actually planning on purchasing a newly built home and renting it until such time as we can afford to live in it ourselves.

Does anyone have anything to say about Palmerston North, good or bad? Jill has been there but I have not - although we are planning on visiting in July of this year.

I wasn't sure which forum to use for this message so bear with me until I get back into the "groove".

Thanks and all the best,
    Shell

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Hi Shell,

Welcome to the forum...wow you certainly dont like living the quiet life and by the sounds of it are up for a bit of a challenge ot two...good on ya!

I am so impressed and admire you for adopting your wee boy. That must have been an amazing feeling.

I also think you will have a wonderful life for you and your son in NZ if you decide to go ahead with things after your initial visit.

As for Palmy North, I've only visited twice. The first time in 2005 when we did a nights stop over and recently when we stopped in for a few hours on our travels.

I must admit that we weren't taken by Palmy North. For us it was quite 'industrial' feeling if that's the right word for it and lacked a bit of character. Although saying that it was very easy to get around with us not knowing the area so that was a plus and the people we met when we were there were all lovely (but I think that's NZ as a whole).

When we stayed over night we had a lovely meal there and there were lots of places to eat out in so you weren't short on that front and the prices were very reasonable.

It's very hard asking people their opinions on places as everyone has different lifestyles and thoughts and opinions so please dont take mine too negatively. We just didnt think Palmy North was for us. I hope you enjoy your visit out here and if you need any more advice on things just holler. We're all here to help

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hi Shell,

You sound like a lady who knows what she wants out of life, good on ya!

Welcome to the forum, you definately chose the right one (ok, biased opinion!)

I've only ever driven through Palmerston North, and it was also dark at the time so I'm afraid I'm not much help on that score! The city looked quite nice though.

Hopefully I'll be of more use with any other questions you have
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ShellBda View Post
    Of course, if I happen to meet a good looking, strapping, muscular rugby player - then who am I to complain?
    ooooo there's plenty of those over here, so your luck might be in

Anyway, to the forum.

Here's hoping NZ offers everything you wish for and more, for you and your little son

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Shell

to our happy band. What a great introductory post. Bermuda, eh? I think that's a new one for us. Looking forward to getting to know you better.

Sorry I haven't got any personal info on Palmy North, but I've dug up the odd link or two in case you haven't read up about it.

Palmy.net gives some background ino on the city with a few photos.
    This is what Wikipedia has to say about it.
    Palmerston North City Council site. All sorts of information on the city.

Our member, Mea, lives in Palmy North. Perhaps, if she's looking in, she can give some on the spot thoughts about the place. Haven't seen her around for a while so I hope she pops in.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Hello and welcome. Congrats on your littlun, sounds like you're a fighter. You can't go wrong. And like Taffy says you've definitely chosen the right forum
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

nattydread is offline God like figure

Thumbs up

hi and welcome to the forum..

i live in masterton which is about 60-70km south of Palmy.
    It's probably our nearest most accesible city from these parts so I've been there a few times..,

it's studentsville..

it's one of very few places in the world that gets quieter in the run up to christmas,, cause all the students go home...

I actually like it,,, loads of nice cafe/bar type of places for eating and drinking.. the shopping centre is okay.. as far as shopping centres go.

I know what people mean about it being quite industrial.. but once you get into the centre its lovely...

Nothing like sitting outside one of the cafe bars around the square on a lovely summers day.. slurping on a mixed fruit smoothie...

mmmmm lovely..

not sure what kind of work you will be after,, but I reckon you'll do all right in palmy..

hope that helps a bit..

good luck

craig..

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Sorry, I won't hijack your thread (again!) Shell - just had to comment on the return of one of our long lost members........

Craig Welcome back to the forum! Hope you're doing ok and still loving the Kiwi life How are things? What you been up to?

ShellBda is offline Oh Masterful One

Hello Craig,

Thanks for the info on Palmy North. It was very helpful. I do have an old friend who lives in Palmy North but he has lived there all of his life and his answer to me "it's nice" really wasn't helpful.

I will be looking for an Administrative Manager type position. I am not sure if I will have any luck finding a position in PN so I may have to look elsewhere. PN is my preferred location because I have friends there but I have to go where the work is, maybe Wellington.

Dawn, don't worry about hijacking my thread, I think I asked for it yesterday. I lost my head over Carterville. My feet are back on the ground at least until I have another one of my "dreams" lol

Take care,
    Shell

nattydread is offline God like figure

I'd be surprised if you had difficulty finding an Admin manager position in Palmy..
    Have you been checking SEEK - New Zealand's no. 1 jobs, employment, career and recruitment site i should imagine there are a few around..
    SEEK Job Search - Find jobs using multiple job search options

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast