Thread: Mitre Peak gets thumbs up

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Mitre Peak gets thumbs up

Peaks, sounds, parks and islands tops in Kiwi eyes
    Saturday February 10, 2007
    By Stuart Dye ?

Mitre Peak and Milford Sound comes in at number 1.

Visiting Mitre Peak and Milford Sound is the country's No 1 "must-do" experience - but most Kiwis reckon there's no great reason to visit Parliament.

Or so says a 101 must-do list of the best sights, attractions and adventures on offer in New Zealand.

The Automobile Association five-month survey garnered 20,000 votes from the public which resulted in few surprises among the top choices such as Doubtful Sound, Bay of Islands, Fiordland and Abel Tasman National Park.

At the other end of the scale, Stonehenge Aotearoa in the Wairarapa and the Rugby Museum in Palmerston North rate just above the Beehive. And all of them rate lower than the Hundertwasser toilet in the Far North town of Kawakawa.

More here .
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Mitre Peak gets thumbs up

I had to Google the Hudertwasser toilets, and found this website: http://www.flatrock.org.nz/topics/ph...mate_stand.htm
    Next time, I'll have to make a stop there.

We've seen/done 27 of the top 101 (!). It would have been 28 if snow hadn't kept us away from Milford Sound.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

I had to Google the Hudertwasser toilets, and found this website: http://www.flatrock.org.nz/topics/ph...mate_stand.htm
    Next time, I'll have to make a stop there.
    Don't go too far out of your way. They may look photogenic but on closer inspection are obviously difficult to keep clean, and they still smell like public toilets! [smiley=eusa_hand.gif] [smiley=icon_lol.gif]
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

I saw them on Billy Connelly's World Tour of NZ DVD. ?Looked interesting, if a little wacky, as there was no particular pattern to the interior decoration. ?Seemed as if Hundertwasser had been left a pile of oddments of tiles etc., had run amok in there and thrown them onto the walls any old how. ?I have heard previously that the toilets are a bit whiffy but was surprised that Billy Connelly didn't comment on it. Perhaps he had a bunged up nose that day. :D
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

LilAmy is offline God like figure

We did a flying stop to see these colourful loo's last year.

They look quite out of place in their surrounding town but at the same time brought a nice bit of colour to your trip to the loo.

Dont be too freaked if you do go to them to use their facilities and see people snapping away.

There's usually a few people taking photos in and out of the loos tee hee ;D I must admit we were one of them....