Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Abel Tasman - A big must for all

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Default Abel Tasman - A big must for all

Wow, just back from the Abel Tasman and wow, how do I describe it.....I just cant you have to go and see for yourself.

It is so magical and relaxing. The scenery and beaches are unbelievable.

We did a days Kayak round the coat with Freedom Kayaks ($50 per person for a double Kayak, $35 pick up fee of the Kayak at a bay). This was amazing. We did our own Kayaking, no groups just me and Stu at our own pace and loved every minute. We'd never been Kayaking before really and this was awesome. I wont lie the second half after lunch was hard and my arms did ache but it was worth it.

We got in around 3.30ish at Anchorage Bay where the Kayaks would be picked up and stayed the night there on the Aquapackers Boat. $175 for a double private room on a wee boat (no en-suite). This included both our dinners in the evening, brekkie and a packed lunch. Not bad I thought. Plus there were clean toilets and a shower and we met some interersting travellers!

We then got up early the next day and did a days hike from Anchorage to Tonga. It was awesome. Quite tiring and hard work again spesh in that heat but it was worth it. If you do go hiking go early and try and miss out the midday sun as there are NO water stops along the way. A few DOC campsites have water but it has to be filtered or boiled prior to drinking it.

We got picked up just passed Tonga beach by Aqua Taxis ($30 each) and had an amazing 45min boat trip back and managed to see a pod of about 20-30 dolphins. We booked our taxi for 5pm as they have a time table for each bay but by 3pm we were knackered and ready to go home. We just asked the taxi driver if he would take us on the 3.30 shuttle and he did. If they have space they will take you so dont worry if you want to go home early and have booked onto a later taxi.

The whole experience was so good that we're going to take my folks there next weekend if the weather is nice.

I would so recommend going there. It is so different to every where else in NZ. I would even go as far to say as it was better than the Bay of Islands and I love it up there as well.

You should also do a wee stay in Kateriteri (spelling ??) as thats wonderful as well. Lovely views again.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Abel Tasman - A big must for all

What an amazing trip, Amy. Sounds wonderful. ?Glad that you enjoyed it so much and felt driven to share with us. Nothing like a bit of personal recommendation.

Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Hi Lil Amy,

Sounds like you had a great time there. [smiley=smiley20.gif]

Absolutely love Nelson and the Abel Tasman and feel soooo envious you have been on a kayak/hike - something definitely on my 'to do' list. Kaiteriteri is great also - the sand there is so yellow and the sea so blue.

The 'centre' of NZ is supposed to be in Nelson. There is a small park with a 20min walk up this hill ... ach, the calf muscles! We walked up there just before sunset and the view from there, and the setting sun was just wonderful. The whole place made a big impression ... could happily live there.

:)
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Sounds like you had a great time Amy! We'd love to do a bit of that sort of thing ourselves - only problem is kids in tow! Lauren and Charlie would probably manage but not little Poppy. The one thing I would really love to do though, and I've spent some time looking into it is a horse riding trail. They do them in a few places over NZ but the best one looks like one just out of Christchurch. You trek for a week from bunkhouse to bunkhouse and get to swim with your horse in the rivers, ride along the beach and see all that fantastic scenery close up! Horses, open spaces and fresh air - my idea of heaven!!!
    Hope we can get to do that - not sure how Gary'll feel about it. Maybe I'll have to go on my own and make some new friends. Maybe some of you guys would like to come along???

:D :D :D
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

missvee is offline Senior Member

:D i have just found out my dad's cousin lives in Golden Bay were Abel Tasmin is. He and his wife own a B&B and holiday lodges, it looks absolutely beautiful. Here is the website, have a look see what you think. www.adrift.co.nz
    Missvee

That looks amazing. Always good to have family out there and maybe get a bit of a freebie when you visit.

Were hoping next weekend we can get a trip to swim with the seals when we go back so will let you know how that goes as well.

Might even try the walk to the Centre of NZ. We were going to do that on Tues but it was too hot!

:( Thats it...tell me how hot it is when we are shivering in -4 and snow 16cms deep. I am so jealous, by the time I get there it will be going cooler.
    missvee

I must admit a bit snow would be great just now. It's too hot here. For once there's no wind in Wellington and it's a scorcher. I need more time to adjust to this intense heat :D

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

The Abel Tasman adventure sounds wonderful. I'd like to do one of the hike and lodge trips there. I doubt I'd get my OH in a kayak. We missed Golden Bay, but perhaps next time we'll visit it.

Your cousin's B&B looks great - possibly worth a splurge. They look like my kind of relaxed & happy people, too.

Dawn, I'd be up for the horse trek, if I'm around at the time.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

:D Didn't know I had such cool, laid back people in my family or that I was related to Grizzly Adams, handsome chap ;D
    I will have to make the effort as it looks fantastic.
    Missvee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast