Thread: Sections

missvee is offline Senior Member

Default Sections

Has anyone got any advice on buying a section? I would like to buy a large section with another buyer, share the cost. Anyone know if there are restrictions on this?What about buying sections and putting animals on like horses, chickens, goats etc. :D
    Missvee

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Sections

There aren't really any restrictions on buying property or sections in NZ apart from in certain 'choice' positions which is, I believe, to do with preventing outside property developers snapping up the best bits of land and turning them into housing estates. There may be a limit to the size of section you can buy but you should be able to get a few acres without too much trouble. Quite a few immigrants have set themselves up with rearing a few animals so it can be done.

If you want to start what would be called a smallholding in the UK, you could look for a lifestyle block which usually has a house on it and possibly some useful outbuildings. Otherwise, there are sections up for sale where you can build your own house. Often the services i.e. electricity, water and phone are available at the gate of the section and you would be responsible for bringing them onto your land and connecting them up. If the section you buy isn't on mains water, and a lot of rural sections in NZ aren't, you would need to look into having rainwater tanks installed as well, which adds a great deal to the original cost of the section. Another item to consider is a septic tank or cesspit if the section isn't on mains drainage.

If you take a look at Glenda's house building thread, she gives a good account of some of the costs involved when you start from scratch.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

missvee is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Sections

:) Thanks Motherbear, Glenda's sight is very informative and insightful. i have been doing a little bit of research and found a great sight, it is called tv homes and has lists of builders showhomes etc. You can set up a scrapbook and put in house designs/styles, interiors and fittins. What you want your house built with. It's really useful and it may be to others who are thinking of building their own house.
    It's called www.tvshowhomes.co.nz it has a logo of James Hardie. I found it accidently. Hope this is of help to others.
    Missvee