Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wellington here we come...

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Default Wellington here we come...

We're packing our bags and leaving Rotorua....

My temp job finished today and Stus finishes in two weeks time.

Stus been offered a great job in Wellie and we decided to up stix and leave ROT as the job front is pretty much no existent for temps/contractors.

Can anyone recommend any areas to stay or to stay away from? We're going to rent a holiday home for a few weeks before renting property but wouldn't mind getting some personal views from others who've visisted or are staying there just now.

Jodie is offline Senior Member
    Tauranga (since May 2007) - Wellington for 3 years before that!

Default Re: Wellington here we come...

Hi Amy,

We've been in Welly for nearly 1 1/2 years now so could probably give you a bit of opinion if you like! What kind of thing are you looking for/not looking for in somewhere to live?

Let me know and I'll post back any info I can :)

See you here soon!

Cheers,
    Jod

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Not wanting to nag (alright, yes I do *:D) but this sort of question is one that puts paid to those comments from folks who have 'passed over to the other side' and reckon they don't have any more useful information to impart on the forum and, therefore, feel they don't need to look in any more.

If you don't now wish to contribute further to the forum, that's fine, but never think that you don't have a useful part to play on here just because you've left the immigration part of the process behind you. *Your forum needs you! *

Sorry Amy,

Many congratulations to Stu in securing a good job in Wellie. *I bet he's well chuffed. *I hope it's a great move for both of you and you can settle well.

Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Jodie is offline Senior Member
    Tauranga (since May 2007) - Wellington for 3 years before that!

Hey MB! Was it something I said? ;) ?:o

I don't think it's the fact the people who have 'passed over to the other side' don't want to help, or think they've got nothing to give now. Far from it. It's just more the fact that once here, we're throwing ourselves into kiwi life with a vengeance and I know from our experience, we just don't spend as much time on the computer at home as we uesd to. (I'm only here cos it's a bit of a quiet patch at work the last few weeks so I've had time to catch my breath for once!! :) )

When you're planning everything and getting nearer to heading out this way, you spend every spare second on the net researching and looking excitedly at different things about your future life over here. You also need the support from others in the same situatin to stop yourself from going crazy! But once here, there just isn't the same time to be able to do that. What with finding rentals, jobs, kitting out the new home, making new friends, checking out the local attractions etc. Then once you start working, there's even less time to be surfing the net cos you're busy at work during the day and then relaxing in the evening and weekends with all the new adventiures and friends you're making along the way. I know I for one don't use the laptop at home anywhere near as much as I used to in the UK (which I guess is a good thing when you think about it!).

Anyway, I just wanted to put that right cos I'd hate to alienate anyone from giving help if or when they do get a chance to have a peek in here once settled. I guess it's kind of a good thing because it shows that everyone is really getting into and enjoying kiwi life over here which involves a lot less computer time :)

Cheers,
    Jod

Blog Entries

Hi Jodie,

No it wasn?t anything you said :D. I was just so pleased to see you still contributing to the forum when you?ve been in NZ long term now and I wanted to use that as an example to others of how they, too, can still play a useful part. The only people who can tell Lil Amy, and others like her, about Wellie are those that have been living there for some time. My comments stem from the fact that some folks in the past have appeared on the forum spasmodically, actually stating that they don?t feel they have anything useful left to contribute. We have so many people now in NZ who have gone through the immigration process and know first hand how it works. They are also the people on the ground in NZ who have inside info on the different towns and cities and how life is there.

Take this particular thread, for instance. Lil Amy is asking for inside info on Wellie. We have quite a few people who are established in Wellie, but only you have answered. Quite frankly a forum can?t function without its members? contributions and this is the way we?re heading. We?ve lost several of our regular posters lately since they?ve settled, with no one coming up to replace them. The writing's on the wall.

I try to fill in where I can, but my experience is not first hand and I don?t have knowledge of NZ other than from one visit. My posts aren?t really what people want to read, as they?d prefer it from the horse?s mouth which, of course, is the best way. I have to admit I often find it really difficult putting answers together with my limited knowledge and it takes hours of research. Someone else with the experience behind them can answer in minutes. I suppose you could say it?s a cry for help on my part.

I fully understand that it?s difficult for new immigrants to find time to post when they?re starting their new life, but there comes a time when things settle down. A peek into the forum once a week or once a month would still have merit and it?s good to keep up to date with how they?re doing. I often see previously very active members looking in, but they never post any more although I know they could have.

I can also understand that a lot of people simply don?t need the forum any more once in NZ, but I don?t know how to compromise this fact with the needs of the forum to continue running. I guess I?m struggling with the thought that other forums can do it and thrive, but ours just seems to limp along. I assume it?s because their forums are great places to hang out. Or perhaps it's me, frightening people off . The idea is, because it?s only a small forum, to encourage friendships to form offsite as well as on and this has already happened in some happy cases. We have a great tool in the forum, but we?re not getting the most out of it. Has anyone got any ideas on how to make the forum a better place to be? Even if it means stepping down myself because I?m thought to be too overbearing, I would gladly do it.

Meanwhile, I?d like to give a sincere ?Thank you? to those who continue to support the forum.
    Mother Bear

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Chill out Bear 8-)

The forum's been 'limping' along for pretty much 3 years now (including it's stint when it was newlifeabroad.com).

Good stuff from NZ is coming in now, groceries, dentists etc etc

I think the only reason the other 2 busiest forums are like they are is because one is like coronation street with all the drama, but is also published in popular books etc, and the other is listed right underneath the NZIS website on a google search, so gets many new people drifting in.

I remember a time when this forum had only 1 or 2 new posts in as many months at a time!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Blog Entries

Chill out Bear ?8-)
    Yes, this seems the way to go. ?If no one else is worried, then why should I beat myself up over it? ?Life's too short.

Mother Bear

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Phew for a minute there I thought you were having a go at me there ;)

Hi Jodie, Stu and I are going to rent an appt in the CBD for a week and drive about some suburbs to see what takes our fancy. I suppose the main thing we need to know is what area to avoid really. I'd also like to know what area's are the best for Public Transport, I know Wellie has one of the best or so I'm told anyway. I'd prefer to be able to commute to the CBD if possible (providing I get a job there mind tee hee).

Any other information would be superb as well. We only visited Wellie once last year and to be honest cant remember to much about it.

Cheers for your help!

Blog Entries

Phew for a minute there I thought you were having a go at me there *;)
    Never, Lil Amy. *You're a gem! *

Wishing you and Stu all the very best in your new city. *
    Mother Bear

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Stu and I are going to rent an appt in the CBD for a week and drive about some suburbs to see what takes our fancy. ?I suppose the main thing we need to know is what area to avoid really.
    Not putting you off, I love Welly and would be really happy to live there like tens of thousands of others. ?However, best to avoid one of these, perhaps:-

That particular fault is in Upper Hutt. ?Most buildings should be earthquake proof in Wellington, but I certainly would not buy one straddling one of those faults. ?Rent maybe, but not with heavy pictures on the walls! Houses are 20m either side of this one down the middle of the road:-

:)

Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast