Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holidaying in Rotorua

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Default Holidaying in Rotorua

Hi, we are planning a week in Rotorua during January. ?Has anyone got any info or experience on where to visit?

We have been there once during our reccy - arrived one afternoon and moved on the next day. ?We did however do a 'Tamaki'(sp?) Tour which was great. ?A coach with a completely nutty Maori took us to a 'traditional' Maori village where we had to go through some rituals before being allowed in the 'village' where various Maori in costume danced, sang, worked etc. ?We then watched a concert, then went to a building where we had a hangi meal. ?It really was an enjoyable evening. ?

I know there are some thermal parks, my kids also want to go zorbing. Not quite sure what else is there.
    :)
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Holidaying in Rotorua

Hi Glenda

This is a page of the Rotorua events diary . ?A the moment there doesn?t seem to be much on during January but that may alter as the time gets nearer and people enter more events on here. ?Worth keeping an eye on. ?Not sure how busy it would be in January with it being summer and possibly a peak period for tourists. ?We went for a brief visit in January to the Bath House and nearby thermal activity areas and there was no problem at all with crowds.

Waiotapu thermal wonderworld, which is about 27 km south of Rotorua..
    Someone?s personal experience of Waiotapu. ?
    The museum in the Bath House . ?
    Admission (but don?t know how up to date this is):
    Adult $11.00
    Child $5.00
    Family (2+3) $25.00
    Family (1+3) $15.00

The Government Gardens are very pleasant to wander around if the weather is good.
    Waimangu Volcanic Valley is about 20 mins. from Rotorua.
    Maori Cultural Show and Feast.
    Zorbing in Rotorua .

There must be quite a few people that have made longer visits and can advise on good accommodation and other features of the area. Hope you have a great time. [smiley=023.gif]
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Hi Glenda,

You'll love Rotorua. We're staying here till the end of Oct when our contracts run out and just love it here.

Right places to visit:

For all ages, go to the Luge, its fab $22 for adults but you can get a family ticket

Zorbing looks fab, will tell you in a few weeks time as we plan to go. This is all held at the Agrodome near Ngongataha, they do bungy jumps and other things as well.

Mini Golf - Cheap and cheerful in Fairy Springs, its a BYOB as well if you fancy a tipple

Live Hangi and concert is supposed to be good as well. We'll be trying that before we go, thats right at the Lake Front next to Pizza Hut.

If you go to the small information site by the lake theres a wee outdoor computer which lets you print of vouchers for places so you can usually get good discounts and meal vouchers! No limit to how many you print as well.

On the Lake itself you can go on pedalos, fishing trips, helicopter rides over Mount Tarawera and other tours.

You have the Buried Village just of SH 30 which is about 10 mins from the centre.

When you go to the Buried Village you can also visit the Blue and Green Lakes, Lake Tarawera (have a coffe in the landing cafe, Bob and Jill the oweners are lovely) visit Lake Okareka some beautiful contryside walks.

I cant remember hold old your kids are but out on SH 5 going back Hamilton way is Experience NZ (its called something like that) and you can go 4x4 driving and bush tours etc.

Onto places to eat: Try Hennesys an Irish pub, good food and reasonable priced, the Fat Dog, Capers, Breakers, 3315 (quite pricey but a good experience for the stone grill cooking).

There is loads to do here and loads of walks, lots of things are free as well which is nice.

Hope you have a good trip at the start of the year! Sorry if I've bored you

Thanks for the all useful info and links, Mother Bear and Lil Amy. ? ?[smiley=smiley20.gif]

It really sounds like we will have a great time! ?Really looking forward to it!

I shall be going through my AA accommodation book in the next day or so for motel rooms. ?If anyone has had a good or bad experience ... I would be sooooo grateful if you could let us know! ?

:) ?
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Hi Glenda,

I totally forgot about the animal park out past Fairy Springs. They have lions there as well!!

As for motels, I'd recommend staying out of the centre of Rotorua.

We stayed in the Microtel slap bang in the centre and got about 4 hours sleep each night after the pub crawlers had finally got to bed! Rotorua is very touristy so no matter what day there's always pub crawlers about :)

I would recommend looking for a bach or holiday home just outside Rotorua. We stay in Hamurana 15 mins from the centre by car and have a lovely view over the Lake. Its a lovely cottage and is so tranquil and you get a perfect nights sleep.

Ngongataha also has some Holiday Parks and thats only 10 mins from Rotorua.

If you stay slightly outside of the centre you wont get the sulphur smell which may be at its peak at the start of next year when the weather improves.

If you do want to stay in the centre you're probably better off with motels just at the start of the Lake by Lake Road area as thats on the outskirts and only a 2 min walk to town.

Hope thats helped you some what

Many thanks for that invaluable info, Lil Amy. I shall certainly look for accomodation away from the centre - I am sure we would get used to the 'rotten egg' smell eventually, but why spend the first couple of days gagging? ;D
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005

Jodie is offline Senior Member
    Tauranga (since May 2007) - Wellington for 3 years before that!

We stayed in a cabin a the cosy cottage holiday park the last few times we've been to Rotorua, right on the edge of the lake about 5 mins out of town (no bad smells etc). It was great - quite basic but a double, 2 bunks, kitchenette and a toilet (used the camp's showers etc). They've got 3 thermal pools on site that you can use for free ( we used em every night!) and BBQ which was fab for the prawns we'd bought at the Taupo Prawn farm on the way through (thoroughly recommended - it's by the Huka jet boat). They've also got themal heated camp sites - how cool is that!!

Also recommended - Hell's Gate. We went and had an hour in the mud baths there - had a private bath to ourselves (4 of us) and the 2nd time we went we had a bigger bath to ourselves (cos there were 9 of us! that was fun!!). Then after the mud bath, you shower off in a FREEZING cold shower, and then soak in the thermal pools for a while to relax again. Well worth it and your skin feels fab! But don't put any jewellery on for at least 24 hours after cos you're skin emits some kind of chemical from the mud and it can turn jewellery black (even proper gold/silver!).

I'd recommend the luge too, and Tamaki is the best maori night by far. Theres also a really cool little jet boat just opposite the zorb place (behind sheepworld I think which in itself is supposed to be quite fun apparently!) that takes you on laps of this tiny twisting water course at 100mph! Crazy and my Dad, Daz and brother absolutely loved it!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Cable car.

Boat trip on Lake Tarawera where the Pink Terraces used to be.

As Lil Amy suggested, The Buried Village .

Another general site for Rotorua attractions.

Te Puia Park.

Not forgetting James’ second home The Agrodome .
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

We went to Whakerewarewa, which is a combination geothermal site and Maori village. They also have a traditional arts school, where visitors can observe students carving wood and weaving NZ flax. We liked their cultural show in the meeting house better than Tamaki Brothers', though this was because of attitude rather than technique.

We also enjoyed the Rotorua Museum in the Bath House. It is surrounded by some nice gardens. Wai-O-Tapu geothermal area was interesting, too. We would have visited more places, (like the Buried Village and former Pink terraces) but moved on after a couple of days.

We stayed at Utuhina Hot Springs Fishing Lodge in town. It has many soaking pools scattered across the grounds, so chances of getting one alone were good. I'm not sure if the cost (not high, but not dirt cheap) is in your price range, but we thought it was worthwhile. It is on a main road into town, but we didn't have any problems with night noise. Our only problem was that we unwittingly left a window open at night, and had sulfurous smells come in from a fumarole just outside. We both had dreams that a new geyser was forming in the middle of our room!
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Hello all,

Just thought I would report in about our weeks' break in Rotorua (with a few photos). ? ::) ? We didn't get to do all the suggestions given above, but had a great time nonetheless. ?:)

We had done the 'cultural' thing and been to a thermal park before during our 2003 reccy, but had not seen much of Rotorua. ?What I did not expect was to see such a clean and tidy city centre ... they are obviously making some money in the area. ? The lakeside area was particularly nice with playarea and pedalos for the kids. ?

The Skyline at Ngongataha had fabulous views and was great fun. ?It is a bit like the one at Queenstown in that there is a gondola ride up the mountain and luge rides down a part of it. ?Our family ticket cost $75 with six luge rides. ?Of course, the kids wanted more rides so we bought some more up at the summit cafe. ? ?
    ?

The Agrodome was not quite as expected, and the whole operation seemed a bit disjointed. ?The zorb was not operational due to a mechanical problem, and the other activities seemed uninspiring. ?However we did go on the swoop and that gets a big thumbs up! ?We were put in a sack and harness pulled up 40m and with the release of a clip went swinging down and around. ?Really good! ?The kids went on the zorb the next day and enjoyed that.

Another enjoyable trip which only my eldest son and I went on, was to Mount Tarawera (www.mt-tarawera.co.nz) on a 4WD bus and a hike along a crater, down into it and out. ?Phew, hard work but enjoyable.

As you can see from the photos, the weather wasn't idyllic and we got wet once or twice. ?Also visited a thermal park, 3D maze, the Green and Blue Lakes, and the Buried Village. ?Could have spent a few more days in Rotorua and would have liked to have gone on the Waimangu cruise/hike and enjoyed a mudbath/spa at Hells Gate ... a couple of trips for sometime in the future. ? :)
    ?
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast