Thread: Bay of Plenty

missvee is offline Senior Member

Default Bay of Plenty

;D Hi everyone have been trying to get on here for a few weeks because I really need help. Anyone live in the Bay of Plenty, Whakatane in particular. I have a job there but am still in the UK. I want to know good/bad areas. Renting a property, there just doesn't seem to be any.
    Help please

Default Re: Bay of Plenty

Hi there!!

We're living in Tauranga but have friends who work in Whakatane. They actually live in Ohope which is lovely. Have you tried www.earlaustinrealestate.co.nz they had 40 or so rentals on their books so hopefully this will give you food for thought! Not sure about good/bad areas though but we've visited Whakatane and I thought it was really nice, a lot smaller than Tauranga but everything there you might need. You could also try www.trademe.co.nz for rentals there.

Hope this helps!
    Carolynne

:) Thanks Carolynne. I am going to be working in Whakatane, I have seen pics of Ohope but I don't know how far it is from Whakatane. I am more interested to know how long it will take to get to and from work I will be in the centre. If you are in contact with your friends any helpful advice would be great. Vee

Hi there! Sorry it took so long to post back!! Getting out of practice!!

Anyway, takes about 10 -15 mins drive from Ohope to Whakatane , fairly far by kiwi standards but honestly doesn't take long!! We really liked Whakatane, the town centre has a really nice feel to it and we totally loved Ohope, its pretty expensive property wise but once you visit there, you'll see why, its got the most amazing views and beach life and a really nice reserve, lots of walks etc! The next nearest city to Whakatane is Tauranga which has a much bigger variety of shops etc etc and it takes a good hour and a bit to get there. My pal comes up to Tauranga about once a month and often hops over to Hamilton for shopping trips too!
    Hope this is of help! We live about a 20min commute from Tauranga and it doesn't bother us driving in and out of town.
    Carolynne

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Hello,

I know this is an oldish post but thought I'd catch up as I haven't been online for a while :)

Ohope is really nice, we like it there. Our friend work in Whakatane and commute every day from Opotiki (40 mins) through Ohope and its just lovely.

Not much in Ohope mind if you were to stay there apart from a lovely beach and scenery.

Right onto Opotiki - It's a lovely small town, got everything you need, a New World, banks, coffee shops and general shops. From what I gather rent is quite cheap there, if you are interested in Opotiki you should contact my friend Shona Browne she owns Opotiki Realty and could probably help you out?

Ohope - I think I've covered

Whakatane - We really liked it there and may actually try for jobs there. It again has everything and more than what you need its a nice coastal/.harbour town and for small towns is quite big I think. When you do arrive go to the Craic, a lovely Irish Pub. Great live singers on the weekend as well. As for area's I couldn't honestly tell you what's good and what's not as we're still learning as well. Have you tried contacting the information centre of even your employers if you have a job and they could probably help you out?

Sorry for the essay....good luck!

Thanks again, I am looking forward to living there. I am going out very soon and need help with somewhere to stay and a child minder or au pair. So thanks for the essay it all helps.
    Missee

craigmayall is offline Junior Member

We've lived on the outskirts of Tauranga for 5 years and have visited Ohopi a few time. Very pretty indeed. We can't give you much more info than that on the area. We can however help with regard to some information on living in NZ if it helps.