Thread: Pet friendly renting...

smudgenmuster is offline Junior Member

Default Pet friendly renting...

Hi all,

I am looking to move to NZ and am at the moment doing some 'homework' I own two border collies and don't want to leave them behind as and when I move. I am looking onto all the vets stuff I need to have done to them but my main concern is bringing them over eventually. I don't want to leave them in England with familly (as my father is 74) and they can be a bit of a hand full at times (bless 'em ::) ).

I know in England trying to find a pet friendly place to rent can be a nightmare. I was wondering if there were agencies that specilise in pet friendly lodgings / renting or if its just a case of loads of foot work and waiding through all the paperwork.

Any help/advice would be fantastic.

Thanks

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

It can be difficult finding pet friendly accommodation in NZ, but they do exist. What area would you be looking at?
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Initially i suppose i would be looking to find somewhere near a hospital that willl give me a job! - on a more serious note i suppose Wellington / Aukland areas. will be my first choice although as i said i would be happy where ever the work comes.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

I've had a hunt around but can't see anything obvious for dog-friendly rental agents. Whether dogs are allowed or not is basically down to the owner of a property and you'd probably be better off contacting the normal letting agents (a list can be found in the Making the Move category on the Master Website List {near the top} under Real Estate). If you discuss your needs with them, they can advise you of any properties they have on their books that will accept dogs. Some agents won't deal with you if you have dogs, but you can weed them out and just deal with the others. Perhaps you could put an ad in the local paper (when you know where you're going to) and ask if anyone has a rental that will take dogs.

It seems easier to find this type of rental further out from the city centres. NZ doesn't make it easy for dog owners and quite a lot of dogs are kept outside rather than in the house. They are also banned from certain parkland areas or they have to be kept on leads. Nevertheless, a lot of people do take their dogs to NZ and manage to fit in, although many, no doubt, buy their own places and don't have to worry about dog-unfriendly landlords.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Thanks for the help and information mother Bear, i will look around and see whats what as they say. I don't mind living a short distnace (around 5-8 miles away from work. Guess I will have to save my pennies and pop over to have a look around first hand as it were - any exscuse for a good holiday! [smiley=icon_biggrin.gif]