Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: info on Porirua city

jandals is offline Junior Member

Default info on Porirua city

looking for info on Porirua city. Any particular areas to avoid? I am looking for a rental house , I will be moving with my wife and a 5 yr old kid. Thank you very much.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

No personal info unfortunately, but there's some general stuff to read up about on here, here and here .
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

thank you mother bear :icon_biggrin:

nattydread is offline God like figure

i was there for a job interview a week or two ago..
    its beautiful..

my interview was at the police training college and I drove in from state highway 2 through upper hutt.
    it's a really nice place..
    some of the houses down at the watersedge were stunning..

It looked like it would be a perfect base camp as you are an easy commute to welly or the Hutt's and when it's play time, you have welly and all that area but also you can head over the hill to the wairarapa...

spot on if you ask me,..

good luck to you buddy.. (sorry there's nothing concrete for you to go on there..)

Hafi is offline Junior Member

Hi!

We live in Tawa which is bordering Porirua... (5 mins drive)...
    My opinion of Porirua is that the area is indeed very nice, big shopping mall with all the major supermarkets and its Saturday local morning market (where I shop weekly for bargains and good quality!) We shop here actually all the time rather than going into town (W'ton city).
    However, to live in Porirua, I might want to think about it and have a good look around first as it is well known for quite a rough area...

Tawa on the other hand might not have the big shops (no need for it as we're next to Porirua and Johnsonville) and might even be boring but it is extremely family friendly (I've got a 2.5 yr boy) and excellent to commute to city by car or train (less than 10 mins to get into W'ton city). Btw, the schools (and creches & preschools) in Tawa are well known for their great reputation... W/ reg to house rentals... Because the popularity of Tawa at the moment, house prices have gone way up last couple of months but because you're looking to rent... We happen to have new neighbours who are renting and just told me recently that there are a couple of rentals out here...

Other areas around Porirua are Titahi Bay (which is very nice - next to the beach, but also known for a little rough) and Whitby (which is a bit further but quite upmarket and house prices are very expensive there...)

Not sure if this is of help to you... Let me know if you want to know more...

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Wow that's really helpful, I'm looking in this area also and have seen all thoses places on real estate sites (redcoats etc.) but they mean nothing to me.

Thanks nattydread and hafi,

that was very informative..I have other questions...My wife is a nurse and to be able to register with NURSING COUNCIL of NZ she needs to enroll in a competency program...Thats why I am asking about Porirua City is because she is planning to take the course at Whitireia Polytechnic at Wineera Rd Porirua...

Do you think its a good idea to enroll there considering that the neighborhood is kinda rough??? other choice is WEstern Institute at Taranaki in New Plymouth, UCOL college in Palmerston North....next on the list of schools is EIT on hawkes bay ...or CPIT in CH...

or what we can do is look for a rental in tawa

any suggestion is highly appreciated..

thanks [smiley=icon_biggrin.gif]

Hafi is offline Junior Member

Hi...

I know the Polytechnic you're talking about and I haven't heard anything 'bad' about it... Some of my friends are taking courses there (no nursing unfortunately) and they really enjoy it...

Besides... Porirua just finished a brand new (very nice!) hospital (where I plan to have my 2nd baby...) And even though Porirua has a slight rough rep... I believe the City Council is upgrading it though... They are adding a new section (quite upmarket shops) in the shopping centre... (are you really going to decide where you live based on a 'short' course?)

Oh, I remember, another friend of mine is actually a nurse (originally from S-Africa)... I'll ask her where she did her course... Your wife doesn't happen to be a midwife, is she?? (I ask, because there is a desperate need for midwifes in Wellington area...!! Took me ages to find one!!)

I'll let you know once I've got more info...

hi hafi,

i guess the polytechnic would be a great choice for the short course then... my wife is a registered nurse not a midwife...i guess our decision on where to settle will depend on where she will be able to find work after the course...she is keen on applying to the porirua@kapiti coast district health board ...i guess it will be porirua or kapiti coast for us... [smiley=icon_biggrin.gif] im just asking for a general feel for the area when i ask about porirua city.. and i am glad someone from the general area provided the answers...

keep on posting... and thank you again

nattydread is offline God like figure

my wife is a recently qualified midwife and has a few extra modules she needs to do.. but the health board have all that organised through some online training provider..
    I'm not sure what courses your other half needs to do, but it may be worth checking that they can't be done on t'internet..

i think UCOL, should be able to do some distance learning for you though, they have a branch here in Masterton and my son is at thier day care centre..
    it's bloody great,, and reasonably priced too..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast