Thread: Wellington or Christchurch ?

bobgoh is offline Junior Member

Default Wellington or Christchurch ?

Although it is too early for me to decide which city should I move to, I appreciate if anyone could give me some advice.

I work in IT industry and would like to know which city (Wellington or Christchurch) has better prospect in term of IT business growth?

I don't like big city such as Auckland and prefer smaller city.

Thanks

moggy is offline God like figure

There are a lot of IT jobs in Wellington, however you believe the marketing gumph from Christchurch council, Christchurch has the highest percentage of people working in IT.
    I am in IT and am heading to Chch

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

There you go Moggy's taken all the IT jobs in C'Church so best head for welly. Wait James has the IT jobs there agghhh you'll have to get one of them sacked.

Slightly related, altho not in IT we have to decide between the two places when we arrive so would be interested to hear your thoughts when you get there. I'll do the same if I'm there first.

I would speculate that as they're roughly about the same size (3-400,000 peeps or 'Leeds size') that opportunities will be similar. There both big places and if you've maged to get a job where you are now, I'm sure you'll manage there in big cities. How many folk live in KL?

bobgoh is offline Junior Member

Thanks for your reply.

KL has about 4 millions of population. If I have a chance to move to NZ, I will prefer smaller city like Wellington or Christchurch.

Although the higher the population size could mean better business prospect and better job opportunity, the living standard, criminal rate and traffic jam condition are equally high as well.

I have done some search on internet, both Wellington and Christchurch offer the same amount of IT jobs (let me know if this is not true). But which city has better potential in term of nurturing the growth of IT industry?

Thanks

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Surely the IT industry depends on the overall business growth of a region, as most IT related stuff is either software or backup for existing and expanding businesses?

In that case it's which is likely to grow faster in the next 10 years or so. Personally I reckon Christchurch, but that's kind of a bit of a sweeping estimate.

At the moment it's probably Wellington being the capital and all that.

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Gee Bobgoh, it seems like any city in NZ would seem small after KL - it has roughly the same population as the entire country of NZ! Even if you wound up in Aucks, I think it would be a pleasant surprise. It's not my forst choice, but I think i could tolerate it there rather well.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s