Thread: Kapiti coast

tottefan is offline Senior Member

Default Kapiti coast

I've been researching into places just outside Wellington, where the houses are still cheap. I must admit that the Kapiti coast had managed to escape my attention until fairly recently.

I would say that my criteria for any area are:

1) Within commuting distance to Wellington (i.e. within an hour).
    2) Nice beaches. [smiley=icon_biggrin.gif]
    3) Cheap housing (i.e. less than ?100,000 if possible).
    4) Near a train station.

From the research I've conducted over the last day, it seems that the Kapiti coastal region satisfies all of these criteria. Does anyone have any experience of the area, or is anyone else interested in moving there in the future?

Tottefan.

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Default Kapiti coast

I'm headed straight for there mate. If it's not Kapiti then upper hutt slightly to the east is no 2 target. Same criteria as you really but not neccessarily the beach part. Blieve there are a number of us headed for upper hutt/kapiti coast area. Not sure where James has settle but he was considering it certainly.

Only problem is, it might be right on the edge of that hour commute limit, and more than that will be a killer i think. I'll let you know as soon as I get out there for sure.

Default Kapiti coast

I won't tell you how long I've been commuting to uni just to stay debt free. ::) Still, it's the end of the academic year now and I've saved a lot of money for my move to NZ so it's been worth it. 8-)

Tottefan.

jamesthecarman is offline Oh Masterful One

Default Kapiti coast

Yeah, I had an interview there. Loved the area, and pretty affordable housing. You can get a 3 bedroom for $225 a week easily (rental....so just imagine how cheap it is to own).

Unfortunately I didn't get the job. I'd love to live in that area if it were possible (but it is an 45 min's hour outside of Welly, and not the most gentle of commutes....though it is beautiful).

Default Kapiti coast

Are there any suburbs in or around Wellington where you can buy a decent 3 or 4 bedroom house for less than or approx., say, ?110,000 and don't have such a large commute? The Kapiti coast sounds lovely but it would be better if there was somewhere else nice and cheap but closer to the CBD.

Tottefan.

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Default Kapiti coast

Definitely, but I guess it depends on what you class as decent.

Couldn't tell you the names of the suburbs and stuff but when searching the Wellington area for houses on the market, there has definitely been plenty of 3 beds certainly with the occasional 4 bed, in that price bracket.

Hafi is offline Junior Member

Default Kapiti coast

Some comments on Kapiti Coast... If you like quiet (borderline: boring) and don't mind to commute on not so reliable public transport or sitting in traffic then it might be the place for you...

I lived in Johnsonville (northern suburb) which was really nice and live in Tawa now (next to Porirua) and commuting wise it's excellent (less than 10 mins on the train from Tawa - not J'ville, that's about double the time due to more stops)... House prices have gone up recently due to popularity but you still can find something in your price bracket... (eg. we bought our 6 bedroom house last yr for a little more)