Thread: Airport Noise

Julian is offline Member

Default Airport Noise

Does anybody know if Light aircraft out of North Shore Aerodrome on Postmans Road, just south of Silverdale and, Military aircraft out of Whenuanai Airforce Base pose noise problems in and around Dairy Flat on Highway 17, north of Auckland.
    Thanks.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Airport Noise

Sorry, I?m a bit late getting back to you on this one, Julian but have been giving it some thought. We live on the flight path in and out of Seeb airport and planes of all shapes, sizes and creeds come in quite low past our house. Personally, I enjoy seeing the planes coming past although they are a bit noisy but quite tolerable. You do get used to it. Mostly they come in through the daytime/evening and aren?t a problem through the night.

However, I would say that the military planes ARE a problem. They are heavier and slower and often the house vibrates when they go past. I can tell without looking when one is going past as opposed to a domestic flight and they do sometimes come in during the night and wake us up. We are also having a big problem at the moment with fighter planes screaming around, even occasionally through the night.

Previously this only happened every now and then, like on the runup to the Sultan?s birthday and National Day when they do a fly-past, but the last fortnight we?ve had it every day and several times a day. The noise is ear-splitting and the cats are terrified. I don?t know what?s going on, but I wish they?d go elsewhere and play, as it reminds me of preparations for war in other countries we?ve lived in.

This information may well be of no help at all, but that's my experience. Of course, it would depend how close you would be to the flight path and how stringent NZ is about noise restrictions etc.

Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Julian is offline Member

Default Airport Noise

Thanks for the reply MB.

To be honest, I only asked the question because of our proximity to the local airport here. Increased air traffic during the day is more evident than it used to be and at times rather annoying.

I don't like the idea of potentially moving to an area where similar problems may occur.

Anyway, I hope you don't have to suffer the noise at your end for too long.

Thanks again.