Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whanganui

tigertim is offline Junior Member

Default Whanganui

Does anyone have any opinions on the Whanganui area? (good or bad).

Looking for good family life with two young boys.

Thanks,

Tim.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Whanganui

Welcome to the forum.

I'm assuming Whanganui and Wanganui are the same place, but I could be wrong. If it's right, this tells you a little about the area. You could also take a look at this and this.

I'm not sure if we've got any members who are familiar with the place. Can anyone pop over and have a quick look, please? ;)
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

tigertim is offline Junior Member

Default Whanganui

Hi,

Many thanks for getting back so quickly, it gives me something to be looking at.

It appears that they are in fact the same place.

Wanganui or Whanganui?
    In the local accent, Maori say wh as w followed by a glottal stop, and the name as something like "W'anganui", hard to reproduce by non-locals. Until recently it was generally written as "Wanganui" and pronounced with a w by non-speakers of Maori and a wh by those Maori speakers from other areas who knew its derivation.

Thanks again.

Tim.

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Default Whanganui

My map shows that Wanganui is on the south coast of the NI, while Whanganui is on the western shore of Lake Taupo, NI. We spent a couple of days in Wanganui and got a bit bored, but then there was a cold & nasty storm that made beachcombing unpleasant, and it was the weekend, so town was mostly quiet. But it seemed like a clean and pleasant place. Their art museum had some rather avant garde installations.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Default Whanganui

Hey that's a good point, I need a decent map of NZ, my world atals just isn't detailed, could do with a road atlas too before we arrive.

Has anyone either got one or know a great place to buy one without having to wait weeks for shipping from NZ.

Blog Entries

Default Whanganui

Wanganui or Whanganui?
    In the local accent, Maori say wh as w followed by a glottal stop, and the name as something like "W'anganui", hard to reproduce by non-locals. Until recently it was generally written as "Wanganui" and pronounced with a w by non-speakers of Maori and a wh by those Maori speakers from other areas who knew its derivation.
    According to this (turn the sound on) the 'wh' is pronounced 'f'. I noticed on one page of the link I previously posted, that Wanganui and Whanganui were shown on the same page as if they were the same place. Very confusing, especially if, as Selchie says, there is a completely different place with the same name.

Stevey, there's Nick trying to flog a pile of NZ books on another thread, but not a map amongst them. Guess he'll be wanting any maps for himself shortly though . I don't know if places like WH Smith would sell decent maps for other countries or whether you could order one online (but not necessarily from NZ).
    Mother Bear

nattydread is offline God like figure

Default Whanganui

Hey that's a good point, I need a decent map of NZ, my world atals just isn't detailed, could do with a road atlas too before we arrive.

Has anyone either got one or know a great place to buy one without having to wait weeks for shipping from NZ.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...708020-9984600

Julian is offline Member

Default Whanganui

SteveyC

A good place to buy a NZ road map is:

The National Map Centre
    22-24 Caxton Street
    Westminster
    London SW1H 0QU

www.mapstore.co.uk

From what I can see, this website doesn't list the road map I've purchased from the shop.

I've left my copy in the office this weekend, but If you are interested further, let me know and I'll give you the name etc, on monday evening 27th.

oxhey is offline Junior Member

Default Whanganui

Hi
    This is my first post to this site. I'm currently living in the UK but grew up in Wanganui / Whanganui (same place). My parents still live there. It's a lovely place although it is quite sleepy. A nice place to grow up though with great sports facilities for kids (Wanganui alternates with Christchurch to hold the masters games every second year and has great swimming/althetics/cycling facilities). It is really central so great for day trips to Wellington / Taupo / Palmerston North so that's good too. I loved growing up in Wanganui but wouldn't consider living there just because it is limited for career options with it being quite small.... have a wealth of knowledge on the city though so fire any questions at me!
    I am now married to an English guy and we have a 10 month old. We are thinking of moving to Wellington and despite growing up there am scared to death of making the decison incase it's the wrong one so I'm really enjoying reading all the posts on this site.
    Good luck!
    Sam

Blog Entries

Default Whanganui

Hi Sam,

Nice to hear you've been enjoying our witty (or not) repartees on the forum. Thanks for adding your valuable comments.
    Mother Bear

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast