Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best to visit before deciding on location?

Debd is offline Oh Masterful One

Default Best to visit before deciding on location?

Hello everybody, Was wondering whether it was necessary to visit NZ before deciding upon the exact area to live in? Well I'm sure it is best but what if you were trying to save all your pennies and have decided that you're gonna love it and live it and make the most of your new life? (meaning: have a positive attitude and
    make it work!)

We're wanting to move by October the latest. We will need to live near enough to Auckland business district to be able to commute to work for my husband's job but still want the more rural life than the city life seeing as we have 2 small children.
    I have read 'Move To NZ' and followed lots of links from this website regarding areas but am still finding it extremely difficult to find the right place where we can actually afford to rent! Unfortunately for us, we have no property to sell so money is one of the big issues. It'll be work work work for us to make a living, almost immediately! How lovely it sounds to hear of all the people who move there, taking their time to 'mooch' and get a feel for the place!

So, we pretty much need to get it as right as possible first time, with a tight budget [smiley=icon_sad.gif]

Hope there are some suggestions with areas which are not too pricey and hopefully, within 40mins peak commute time to Auckland?

Thankyou for any help,
    Debra

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Well in an ideal world of course we'd all visit first, but like you, we diceided not to based on the money it costs to go out and come back. It's also been said before, that you never really 'take in' a place or think rationally about it when you're on holiday. Chances are you'll look on the bright side and convince yourself on it anyway.

I guess the questions you need to ask yourself are a) are houses affordable for what we need/want. b) Can I get a job for the right money and c) could I cope without being close to loved ones. If the answers are yes then why not, JUMP!!!

At the end of the day you can tour around a bit on arrival before deciding on where to settle. The property websites are great for getting an indication for prices etc.

Finally, you can always come home. Tell everyone at home that when you justify your decisions so you don't have to hang your head in shame when you come back. And don't transfer all your cash til you've been onshore for a while and have made your mind up.

We tell everyone, "no we haven't been, but we're young and don't have masses to lose, if the worse comes to the worse, we'll come home having had a great 6/12 months holiday and at least we know that we'll have no regrets in later years like SOOOO many people we've spoken to here"

Hope this helps, bit of positivity always goes down well with me. Deciciveness is the key in my opinion.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

I think I?d be inclined to get a good map of Auckland city complete with surrounding areas and work my way out of the city following the main artery roads. Look for the best access roads to the part of the city where your husband will be working and that will give you some indication of which residential areas the roads pass through, as they would be the ideal places to set up home. As you will no doubt be aware, the closer you are to the city centre, the more expensive the property rentals. Once you?ve identified several possible areas to live, have a look through the property agents? rentals (listed on the Master Website List) for some idea of prices in those areas. Personally, I would strongly advise anyone against signing up for a rental on the strength of what they see on the Internet sites without being able to first view the place for themselves. From what I hear, there are some right horrors out there, although the agents? pictures on the Net had made the properties look great.

Initially, I?d get something that looks OK when viewed, was convenient for the city and was within a comfortable price range. It would give you a base then to look around in your own time for something more suitable if you aren?t happy with your first choice. You can always move around until you?ve found just what you want in the area you want. Don?t expect to drop straight into the perfect place immediately and you won?t be disappointed then.

Ag28com (Waikatere city), Daisyspop (Pukekohe), Jamesthecarman, Midder (Gulf Harbour), Kara, Ady, Loz, Lainy all live around the Auckland area and it might be worth sending them a PM to ask about the various suburbs. James is in the process of relocating to Wellington at the moment, so might not be available. The last few members don?t often post now but might still look into the forum or get a notifier in their email box to say they?ve had a PM.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

When you are looking north of the City, I've heard it can take 40mins to get across the Harbour Bridge during peak time. Some folks conveniently placed for accommodation and work take the ferry across. Have also heard there are ferries from other areas.

Don't forget the train into the City either. Buses are not supposed to be as good as some cities, but again if your home and workplace are conveniently positioned this can be a good option.

Hopefully, you will hear from some Aucklanders on the forum. However, when you get to NZ, get chatting to anyone - car dealers, bank managers etc. Most people in the City commute so don't hesitate to tap into that Kiwi friendliness for advice.

:icon_biggrin:
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

jadet is offline Junior Member

We are thinking of Waiheke Island if we get to settle in Auckland. It's much more rural and the ferry ride is 35 minutes, no traffic at all. There are cheaper rentals there too. The catch is that the ferry itself is expensive, atleast $200 a month I think. If you are both working in the CBD that could sure cost. Also the kids would be rather far from you, if they needed picking up early from school. The high school there doesn't seem to be adored much either. Have I talked myself out of it yet!? Anyway, it was an idea.

Thankyou everybody, lots to think about there! I'll definitely try to find a good map, Deb

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Thankyou everybody, lots to think about there! I'll definitely try to find a good map, Deb
    Cheaper than two grands worth of flights eh! [smiley=icon_biggrin.gif]

Cheaper than two grands worth of flights eh! [smiley=icon_biggrin.gif]
    Ha ha I didn't think of that! ;)

Hafi is offline Junior Member

Having lived briefly on the North Shore before moving to Wellington and having a child of 2.5 yrs now, it's definitely worth while to research it... Albany is growing now and really close to the beach and around 40 mins in rush hour to city... Indeed, don't forget the ferry...!! (I loved it!)

A good friend recently moved from Wellington to Auck (Browns Bay) with a 4yr old and told me it has been the best move she's done for her daughter...

One thing to bear in mind with 2 small children is that most houses here are NOT insulated and do not come with heating...!! (seriously, don't underestimate the draft coming through your windows & doors) This has been my worst find out coming here... Indeed, the weather might not be as cold as in the UK, but then again, I never had to wear a jacket and shoes inside my house... Just something to think about for the kids... On the other hand... Gosh... the stuff / activities they have here for young kids... you would think you landed in HEAVEN!!

Unfortunately for us, we too were tight on a budget when coming here initially but it was worth the try and occasional tears... However, even though after 2 years of loving it here, we decided to return because a 2nd child is on the way and I can't bear the thought anymore of my loved ones missing out on my kids... :icon_sad: But it's true! at least we've tried it and we can always come back if we want to as we know now what life is here in NZ... No regrets whatsoever!!

Good luck!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hafi,

to the forum and thank you for all the useful information you have posted on here. It's good to have another member with inside info, who can assist others about to make the move. [smiley=023.gif]
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast