Thread: Could be handy

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Could be handy

Online service allows travellers to customise maps
    15.11.05 1.00pm

A new online map allows travellers to find toilets, somewhere to eat or and ATM anywhere in New Zealand.

The Automobile Association was today launching its AA SmartMap to allow travellers to customise travel maps around the country with any of thousands of pieces of data. The online mapping system will include the quickest route between two points and make the location of toilets, cafes and restaurants, accommodation, boat ramps and points of interest easier to find.

The AA has one of the largest data bases of its kind in the country and spokesman, Greg Hunter, said in the next few months it would also include information on traffic congestion. The service has been developed over the last 12 months by the AA and digital mapping company GeoSmart.

Mr Hunter said: "You have a map of New Zealand and select where you are. You put in where you want to go or what you want to find, whether it is an ATM or a trip to Taupo or whatever it happens to be. It will then produce a map and turn-by-turn directions which you can print out.

"That is the simple aspect, but it has a whole range of layers so you can then say, 'Where are the ATMs, where are hotels and motels when I get to Taupo, or what restaurants are within range?' and it will overlay that on the map."

He said it would also find things like playing fields or any other points around any city, town or place in the country.

This is the link but don?t hold your breath with excitement just yet, as it?s extremely slow at the moment due to overuse, from what I can gather. Perhaps once the novelty has worn off, it'll be easier

http://www.aamaps.co.nz/
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Blog Entries

Default Could be handy

It seems to have speeded up since the kiwis went to bed. I assume, because it was announced earlier in NZ, it was slowed down by most of them having a go at it.
    Mother Bear

Daisyspop is offline Senior Member

Default Could be handy

Now it's been suspended due to heavy use, opening up again soon so they say

Blog Entries

Default Could be handy

While this lot are trying to sort themselves out (taking forever), here's another site I use a lot for researching places. If you bring up a town or village, underneath the map it let's you choose the house number (if you have one) and indicates roughly where that house is. Handy if you're looking on the Net for houses to buy. You can also move around the area by dragging the map, so you don't have to keep refreshing if you want to move a bit to the left or right etc.

www.zoomin.co.nz
    Mother Bear

Daisyspop is offline Senior Member

Default Could be handy

The site is up and running again as of this morning - very good too.

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Default Could be handy

While this lot are trying to sort themselves out (taking forever), here's another site I use a lot for researching places. If you bring up a town or village, underneath the map it let's you choose the house number (if you have one) and indicates roughly where that house is. Handy if you're looking on the Net for houses to buy. You can also move around the area by dragging the map, so you don't have to keep refreshing if you want to move a bit to the left or right etc.

www.zoomin.co.nz
    Have to reply to this Mother Bear as that is one very useful site! Everyone should have it in their list of favourite sites ... I've certainly got it in mine.

;)
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb