Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need some serious help!!

skunkgirl is offline Junior Member

Default I need some serious help!!

I am requesting help from any forum members that are residing in South Auckland.

We have received notification from my husband's prospective employers that the location of the job has changed and his job will now be based in the Manukau region of Auckland. Yikes! I've had a look at the housing sites and a look at a few schools and it seems a minefield!

My OH's job is in transport with fuel deliveries and as such I think that will be on the western side of the region. I looked at some good schools in the Pakuranga area but can't gauge how far that is away from the west coast

Can anyone who is living in that particular area give us some pointers as to which areas we should avoid (as I hear some are quite ropey) and has anyone any first hand experience of the nicer areas.

:icon_sad: I'm feeling quite dispondent at the mo as I thought we would be going to BOP which looks ideal for my family - so any positive thought would be really appreciated- but I want to hear any bad stuff too!! I don't want to end up in one of the "ghetto" areas that I keep hearing about and have my children suffer

Thanks in anticipation

Skunkgirl

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Skunkgirl,

Sorry the news isn't what you'd hoped for. ?I've done my usual bit of digging around and come up with this link for Pakuranga which gives some indication about it's location. ?If you click on the green Manukau word it'll take you to another page with a kind of map. ?It gives some idea of where the Manukau area is. ?Being Auckland, I would guess you would never be that far from the sea although the Manukau area appears to be on the eastern side. ?South Auckland doesn't have a particularly good name, but you could possibly live in another area and your hubby commute to his work. ?Daisypop lives in Pukekohe, I believe, which is in the Franklin district and about 50 km south of Auckland. ?He is full of praise for it.
    http://movetonz.org/discussion/YaBB....1113163825/0#1

Franklin District

Pakuranga

I'm sure there are several members who are now living in or around Auckland who will be able to give you some pointers of what to look out for and the best places to live. ?Just might have to wait a while until they're on here again due to the different time zone.

Good luck.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

nattydread is offline God like figure

skunkgirl, have a look at Daisyspop's postings about Pukekohe,

When we were thinking of Auckland it was based on my wife getting work in counties manakau hospital.
    Pukekohe seemed an easy commute into Auckland.

From what I remember he LOVES pukekohe..

Hope you get something sorted out.,..

Mother Bear and Nattydread - thank you both for you prompt postings.

As ever. Mother Bear, some interesting sites for me to look at.

Thanks again to you both

Skunkgirl

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hi Skunkgirl,

If you can avoid it, then don't live in Manukau City. I wouldnt say it was a ghetto, but it's a place renowned for trouble. I spent a few days there when I first got to NZ and wasnt impressed at all. It's handy to Auckland airport though, as that's in Manukau!

http://www.manukau.govt.nz/

Luckily, it's well connected with the motorway so you have a broad range of surrounding areas you could choose for an easy commute.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Thanks for that tip Taffy.

I have spent nearly the whole day looking at various sites and in particular schools. The Manakau area seems to have a rather large amount of schools that seem to have a really high percentage of maori, tongan and south pacific students. Whilst I am not adverse to my children mixing with people of all colour and creed I do not want them to be the minority.

Has anyone any thoughts on Howick? Thye appear to have some excellent schools in that particular part of the region. If my husband has to travel a little further - then so be it!

Daisyspop is offline Senior Member

I've pm'd you but go to www.pukekohe.org.nz for a good look at Pukekohe.

jamesthecarman is offline Oh Masterful One

Howick (aka East Auckland) is a pretty good area. The "stigma" with it is that it's hard to get out of b/c there isn't really a motorway that goes to the area, and traffic can be bad at peak times. If there were a "little China" in NZ, Howick would be it.

Traffic - It can be bad at times. But nothing like what I've seen in the US, or especially on Top Gear (some UK programme some of you may have heard of ;-)). That show alone makes me scared of London....That and all the Kiwis running around. :D

Pukekohe - It's a pretty nice area, and property values are pretty affordable. It's far removed from "South Auckland". The NZ leg of the Aussie V8 Supercars is run in Pukekohe, but they aren't sure for how many more years. It really is a pretty cool small town that's close to a big city. The drawback would be if someone works in West Auckland, could take 2 hours in traffic.

Ghetto/South Auckland - yeah, it's not preferable. But it's not really a ghetto. You don't have to run red lights in fear of getting carjacked, etc. On international standards for a "bad" part of a city, it's one of the "best".....that being said, I still wouldn't live there given the choice.

Thanks again to every one whose has replied.

I'm sure that with my good investigative skills I shall find somewhere nice.

Daisyspop - thank you for the pm - I've looked at the website and it certainly looks nice.

One further question - as a rough idea - how long would it take to drive from Pukekohe to Auckland airport?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast