Thread: Head for Wellie

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Head for Wellie

Skill shortages still hurting business: survey

25.10.05 1.00pm

WELLINGTON - Skill shortages are hurting the investment and expansion plans of businesses, a Wellington poll shows. Accountants Sherwin Chan and Walshe's bi-monthly survey of 291 businesses selected randomly in greater Wellington last week shows 42 per cent have put off investment because they cannot fill skilled jobs. The vacancy rate for skilled workers is quite high. Thirty-five per cent of respondents said they had vacancies for skilled workers.

Nearly 60 per cent of respondents said their firms' ability to expand output was being hit as a result. The survey highlights falling confidence in the economic outlook. It shows a gap between the respondents' trading expectations for their own businesses and their expectations for the economy.

Many respondents expected their trading conditions in the next six months to stay the same (46 per cent). Thirty two per cent expected their trading positions to get better or much better, down from 38 per cent in August. Only 19 per cent expected their own trading conditions to get worse or much worse, up from 13 per cent in August. Their view of the New Zealand economy is pessimistic, with 48 per cent expecting the economy to get worse or much worse in the next six months, well up on 28 per cent in August.

Only 9 per cent expected it to get better or much better, compared with 16 per cent in August. Thirty-six per cent expected it to stay the same, down from 45 per cent in August. Respondents gave several reasons for their belief that the economic outlook would deteriorate. Growth appeared to be reliant on consumer spending, interest rates were set to rise and inflation was also increasing, some said.

"The New Zealand dollar remains high, I don't think the flow of migration will get better and there might be an outflow," one respondent said.

Another said the shortage of skilled labour and the effect of higher interest rates would hold back the economy.

The election result disappointed more businesses than it has pleased. Thirty seven per cent said the election results would have a negative effect on their businesses, 21 per cent expected it to have a positive effect and 27 per cent thought it would have no effect. The survey confirms the perception that the Greens are not popular with business, with 45 per cent of respondents saying the party's policies would have a negative effect on the their business. But 15 per cent considered there would be a positive effect and 26 per cent no effect.

- NZPA
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

jamesthecarman is offline Oh Masterful One

Default Head for Wellie

Oh how I wish I could move their tomorrow. I'll have to wait until I get back from the US for holidays with the family.

(In AKL up to 21 Nov, then in Florida/Georgia until 06 Jan)

My mum has threatened to kidnapp my kids (my future kids I have with my future wife) if I try to raise them in NZ ;-)

I'll have to have a good sit down talk with her between 21 Nov and 06 Jan 8-)

Blog Entries

Default Head for Wellie

But it's not all fun and frolicks according to some. At least it's only one man's point of view.

Wellington 'one of most boring places on earth'
    01.01.06 1.00pm
    By Nicholas Moody and Ann Newbery

Hamiltonians can breathe a sigh of relief. Wellington - and not the perennially slated Waikato town - has been labelled New Zealand's most boring city. At least that's according to English author Adam Russ, whose new book 101 Places Not To Visit: The Essential Guide To The World's Most Miserable, Ugly, Boring and Inbred Destinations offers Wellington as its only New Zealand destination to avoid.

Our capital city rates four out of five stars in the boredom rankings, making it the equal of Adamstown on Pitcairn Island (where the "most likely cause of death is declining a marriage proposal") and Sofia in Bulgaria (renowned for "buildings so ugly that even the Nazis couldn't be bothered to raze them to the ground").

Fans of the UK television series The Office will, however, be glad to know that Slough - home of fictional boor David Brent - beat the Windy City with a five-star rating. Just like the "overgrown village" that is Australia's insect-plagued Brisbane. Not surprisingly, Mr Russ's opinion of our negligible cultural heritage and main attractions - shearing contests, apparently - isn't shared by many Wellingtonians.

Wade Lipsham from Sandwiches, a live music venue in Wellington, described the rating as "absolutely ridiculous. He's obviously judging our culture without coming here." Mr Lipsham said Wellington music acts such as Fat Freddy's Drop and Shapeshifter were having an impact on the world stage. "From a musical point of view he's well off the mark," he said.

Fair Go's Kevin Milne, who has lived in the Wellington region for three decades, was surprised at Russ's inference that Wellingtonians didn't know how to make proper hamburgers. "That is one of the reasons that Wellington is a great place," he said with pride. "People in Wellington like beetroot in their burgers. They like to be different. They don't like to follow the same old formula that may succeed everywhere else." Mr Milne also said Wellington was undoubtedly "the thinking person's city". Though the TV host regularly flies to Auckland to film his top-rating consumer show, "it would take billions of dollars for me to move elsewhere, like Auckland," he said.

Actress Geraldine Brophy has lived in every major New Zealand city and was happy to defend the city she's called home for the past two years. She said Wellington was a "fantastic city", especially for the arts, and thought the London-based author might well have suffered from a case of sour grapes. "I think perhaps somebody didn't get quite the service in a cafe bar that they might have wanted while they were writing the book," she said.

Ginette McDonald, who achieved fame as 80s icon Lyn of Tawa, said she had nothing but the highest praise for her stomping ground. "I cannot speak more highly of a place that is nestled in the valley with the women's prison at one end and the old psychiatric hospital at the other. There's a lovely symmetry to it.".

Chris Lamers, general marketing manager at Positively Wellington Tourism, admitted he was initially put out when he read Russ' lowdown on Wellington, but was no longer so concerned after reading the rest of the book. "We're happy to crow from the rooftops when we succeed, so one tongue-in-cheek piece isn't going to ruin the world." It was better to be spoken about than not spoken about at all, he said. "With people like Cate Blanchett singing our praises and King Kong premieres I don't think we need to worry."
    Mother Bear

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Default Head for Wellie

Boring schmoring. We loved Welly. Maybe that rating will keep away all the other geologists who are looking to get a job in NZ.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Default Head for Wellie

You're heading for Welly too Selch? Aww cool (cue puns)

I hate journalists so much, what a complate A-HoleIf I lived in Wellington partivularly if I had a business, I'd be inclined to hunt him down just shove his book so far up his rectum he could fart the nonsense in it forever more.

I know 5 seperate people who say Brisbane is the Best Aussie city for everyday life also. What a Div!!

Still original post sounds good for us given our new object location, missed the post originally somehow.

Default Head for Wellie

If I lived in Welly I'd sue him. 8-) 8-)

Just kidding of course ;)

On a serious note I am hoping to move to Welly by March. Hopefully I'm the perfect candidate for one of those positions that they can't fill.

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Default Head for Wellie

Did I miss the post where you explained why Auckland isn't for you anymore James? Fed up with the 'JAFA' label?

Blog Entries

Default Head for Wellie

Secretive goings-on in Wellie. Getting more and more like the UK.

Acute mental patients sent to live in suburbs
    12 February 2006
    By RACHEL GRUNWELL

Health authorities are secretly transferring acutely-ill mental patients to suburban homes to ease overcrowding at Wellington Hospital's troubled ward 27. The first 24-hour "community acute house" opened in Whitby on Tuesday and a further two houses are planned. The patients have a variety of conditions including depression. None are on criminal charges, but some are committed patients.

Capital and Coast District Health Board decided not to alert the public, media or nearby neighbours to the opening, saying it wanted to avoid "controversy" and "protect patients' privacy". "We didn't want to shout about it," said Tony Littlejohns, a clinical leader of general adult mental health services at Wellington Hospital. "We're trying not to bring unnecessary attention to people (patients) under stress already. We've tried to avoid media interest." Each of the homes will take up to four patients cared for by two staff during the day - only one a trained nurse. At night, one staff member who is not a nurse will be in sole charge.

The secrecy surrounding the units has angered some residents, who feel they - and three schools and a kindergarten nearby - should have been consulted. The Sunday Star-Times understands the level of secrecy extends to caregivers being told to park their cars in different places down the street from the Whitby address to avoid neighbours' suspicion.

One neighbour said he was told by staff the house was being used for seminars. Littlejohns said he doubted this had happened, but said staff would probably tell neighbours the house was for "supporting people". The move into the community comes only a year after coroner Garry Evans called for safer detention for patients after the death of ward 27 patient Chad Buckle. He was able to walk unnoticed from the ward and killed himself in July, 2003.

In February, 2003, a patient walked out of the hospital, again unnoticed, and jumped into the tiger enclosure at Wellington Zoo ( :icon_eek: - not to be recommended!). Ward 27 has fewer than 30 beds, but frequently has to cater for 40 and sometimes 50 patients.

Littlejohns said the other two homes were not likely to open before the end of the year and their locations had not yet been decided. He said the Whitby staff could call for back-up at any time. Patients would get a much better service rather than being in an overcrowded ward 27, said Littlejohns.

Capital and Coast already has respite centres, in Porirua and Wellington central, for low-intensity patients who need time out, but these are only used at night andpatients are treated at hospital by nurses during the day. The new units will be 24-hour homes and cater for people with acute mental illnesses who would otherwise be in hospital.
    Mother Bear

Default Head for Wellie

Did I miss the post where you explained why Auckland isn't for you anymore James? Fed up with the 'JAFA' label?
    Nah, I call people here JAFA's. Of course it could be turned around on me with "American" instead of "Aucklander".....fortunately these JAFA's aren't smart enough too.

Wow, that sounded really evil. If I offended anyone, sorry. If I made you laugh.....hooray!! [smiley=006.gif]

I think I did later outline why I don't like Auckland in my "moving to wellington" post.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Head for Wellie

Wellington's a 'city on the rise'
    05 December 2006
    By SUE ALLEN

Wellington may be waiting for the next big earthquake but in the meantime it is living for the moment and "a city on the rise", according to Lonely Planet's latest Bluelist.

The Bluelist is an annual book capturing "what's hot and happening" in the coming year, compiled from views of staff, authors and travellers. The guide lists its 11 favourite destinations as well as 40 sub-categories covering everything from "unique places to wed" to best travel gadgets.

Wellington, described as "one of the world's cold-yet-cultural" cities, makes it into the "Cities on the Rise" categories, along with Belfast in Northern Ireland, Belgrade in Serbia and Perth.

Suggesting Wellington's isolation, "contemplative" view over Cook Strait and the fact we are waiting for the next big earthquake as reason, the guide describes Wellington as "busy living for the moment".

"Whatever the ingredients, youthful energy abound ... More beautiful than Seattle or Melbourne, the starry night is clearly young here."

Positively Wellington Tourism chief executive Tim Cossar said the past decade had seen a complete turnaround for Wellington, changing from a grey, windy place to pass through to a buzzing, creative metropolis.

Overall, New Zealand was ranked second in the top 11 in the "favourite destination" category, behind Australia but ahead of Britain, Thailand, Greece, Italy and the United States.

Milford Track, described as "one of the finest walking trails in the world", is listed in the "Best in slow travel" category.

Motuara Island, at the head of Queen Charlotte Sound, gets a listing in the "Most deserted island" category. The Rainbow Warrior, scuttled off Matauri Bay in Northland, makes it into the "Dive the world" section.

- The Dominion Post
    Mother Bear