Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: masterton

nattydread is offline God like figure

Default masterton

Does anyone have any experience of masterton?

It looks to be about an hours drive north of Wellington.
    Seems quite a rural location?

Anyone of an IT inclination know what work is like in Masteton?

cheers

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default masterton

A small amount of info on Masterton
    http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?...text=Masterton

You can get some other information on the demographic profile of the area if you click on the 'Profile of your new neighbourhood' topic further down in this category. Unfortunately the site is down at the moment, so I can't take a look in there to see what's available.

Also http://masterton.co.nz/index.php

Don't know if this is any good for job hunting.
    http://www.netcheck.co.nz/employer/
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Default masterton

Thanks Mother Bear,

I had a look at those sites too.. Young Jodie is down that way isn't she.
    Is she IN Wellington or just outside?

I'd like to get in touch , today if possible, with someone on the ground so to speak..

Blog Entries

Default masterton

Ooh, sounds interesting!

Unfortunately time isn't on your side where NZ is concerned if you need to speak to someone today, as it's late o'clock by now. Jodie is in Johnsonville (or certainly was when she first arrived there). It's a large suburb in the north of Wellington. Unfortunately we don't see a lot of her on here these days. I tried looking for a phone no. in White Pages but, of course, I haven't got her surname, so didn't get very far. [smiley=icon_frown.gif]
    Mother Bear

Default masterton

i could try phoning all the "J"s in the phone book, but that might take a while..

No worries anyway, I'll get the information somehow..

CrystalLil is offline Junior Member

Default masterton

Are you still looking for info about Masterton?? I've spent some time there and have a friend who lives near the town. The Wairarapa area around Masterton has some really nice countryside - my friend and his family have a farm there. I've spent some lovely peaceful weekends on the farm. The town itself is pretty small, not too much going on there. It depends on what you're after, of course, but if you want a bustling night life at your fingertips, it's not the place for you. I heard there was some trouble in the town with gangs of young folk fighting each other, but I guess you could get that anywhere. It's about an hour to an hour and a half's drive north of Wellington. There's a train that goes fairly regularly too. The drive up there from Wellington is pretty wicked - you have to drive over the Rimutaka hills and there are a few hair-pin bends to navigate.

I'm not in IT but I would imagine that most of the work in and around Masterton would be in agriculture, viticulture and the likes. Rural is the word. Obviously, there are shops and a few pubs and restaurants etc too...I'd think you'd have better luck in Wellington, though. Hope this is helpful. Let me know if you have any specific questions about the area and I'll do my best to help you out.

Blog Entries

Default masterton

After you enter the site, click on 'Photos' on the left for some piccies of the area. Great if you like churches and definitely rural!

http://www.cityofmasterton.co.nz/
    Mother Bear

Jodie is offline Senior Member
    Tauranga (since May 2007) - Wellington for 3 years before that!

Default masterton

Hiya,

Sorry you guys couldn't get in touch with me - send me a PM next time - I still get the email alerts to let me know Ive got a message waiting so I'll get there eventually! ::):

Yes we're in Wellington - and yes Mother Bear - we're still in Johnsonville - god - everyone knows what I'm doing/where I am! :icon_eek: he he he! As for Masterton, one of the guys I work with lives in Carterton which is near Masterton, and he travels into Wellington for work every day on the train which takes him about an hour each way. The countryside out in the Wairarapa is great - we went up to Greytown a few weekends ago (which is about 20 mins from Masterton I think) and it was really quaint. The weather out there is quite a bit better than in Welly itself - for example - it was 19 degrees in Masterton today, and 15 here in Welly. I've heard that it gets quite a dry heat out there which is nice, and it's only about an hour and a half's drive from Welly (2 hours in rush hour at least).

There wouldn't be much IT work out there - if any. I think you would have to travel into Welly for IT work.

Anything else that you'd like to know there? I think I've covered what you initially asked! If thres anything else, just shout - I'm always happy to help!

Cheers,
    Jod

Default masterton

that's great thanks Jodie,

I have been on contact with a bloke that commutes from Masterton and he says everyone he knows from that area, that works in IT does the commute into Wellington on the train.

I've been looking at Featherston as a possible settling spot.
    It looks to be about the midpoint between Welly and Masterton.

What was the winter like for you Jodie?
    I know they dont get much in the way of frost and snow up Auckland way, what about down your neck of the woods?
    I can't imagine you do to be honest with all those vineyards about..

Anyway, if i think of anything else I'll PM you if thats okay...

Thanks again..

Blog Entries

Default masterton

Crystal Lil,

Are there really a lot of churches in that area and does that mean the people are particularly religious? Looking at the pics on the link I posted previously, there does seem to be a concentration of attractive-looking churches. Perhaps it's just that they are spread out over a wide area [smiley=icon_biggrin.gif].
    Mother Bear

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast