Thread: Lavin, North Island

stevejan is offline Member

Default Lavin, North Island

Does anyone know of Lavin. Steve may have a chance of a job there and we know nothing about it. We were researching Auckland down to Bay of Plenty and found a few good areas we liked the look and sound of where we thought there would be good schools for our two boys. Lavin has thrown a spanner in the works, I believe it's near Wellington which is supposed to be very windy. Any info would be great.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Do you mean Levin? We've driven through Levin, looked a nice little town but don't know much else about it. It's a fair few kms north of Wellington though. It it's actually Lavin, then i've not heard of it sorry!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Perhaps you mean Levin? It looks like it's between Wellington (74 km) and Palmerston North (42 km). Sorry, but I don't know the town, but the map shows it is between the ocean and the Tararua Range. From what I've heard, Palmerston North is windy, too, though I'm not sure of what magnitude. Prevailing winds and much weather come from the west, so that area may get the brunt of it. The mountains will also contribute to greater rainfall there than on the far side of them or in an area with less topography. But I doubt it's nearly as wet as the Wet Coast of the SI does.

Wellington itself can be breezy, especially on the waterfront, but wasn't a problem for us. Mind you, our experience was limited to several days in November. As far as I can tell by reading some forum posts, it's windiness is overrated. We really liked Wellington, and hope to move near there.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

If it is Levin, it sure takes a lot of tracking down. Seems to be in the Manawatu area. Here's a link to a modicum of information:

http://www.horowhenua.govt.nz/Distri...rict/LEVIN.htm
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

JoB
    JoB is offline Junior Member

Steve & Jan

Yes If it's Levin, it's a nice quiet town which you drive through on the main rd from Welly to Palmy N.

It's a lovely little town. My husband went for an informal chat with a company and whilst there I went to the park with the kids.

i am not kidding in the UK they would have charged you to get in it was that good. For a small town I was evry impressed with the park so my first impression where a thumbs up.

Hope this helps.

Jo