Thread: wildfire danger?

Phantasm is offline Junior Member

Default wildfire danger?

I'm asking about this because it is one of the things I hate the most about the area I live in now. We're planning on going to the South Island, probably Dunedin. I know that there isn't much rainfall there (still much more than [i:243b2b836d]here[/i:243b2b836d]). What is the wildfire danger like? We have lightning strikes every summer that cause enormous fires. This year's fire is at almost 10,000 acres and not even half contained. The smoke is blowing this way, even though the fire is 80 miles away. It makes me wild, and I just can't bear the thought of going someplace where this is an annual occurence. Any reassurance and/or facts would help. Thanks,

- Phantasm

netchicken is offline Senior Member

Default wildfire danger?

hehehehe wildfires around Dunedin?

You wish!

It never gets that hot, nor that dry. Can't say I have ever heard of it happening outside of a farmers burnoff that got out of hand.

Also lightening strikes that cuase damage are rare enough to make national news.

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Default wildfire danger?

But ... you do get bush fires around NZ. A few people were made homeless around Chrischurch last year (weren't they netchicken?). They are not usually as big as in the US but can happen.

Australia's the place with scary wildfires.

::):
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Phantasm is offline Junior Member

Default wildfire danger?

Oh, thank you! What a relief! I can handle the tremors and the odd volcanic burble, but wildfires are definitely off the list! So glad I don't have to rearrange my entire future!

Sorry for all the exclamation points!! It's hot here!

I keep checking the nice cool rainy Dunedin weather station updates from the wrong side of the equator.

- Phantasm