Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Locations Locations which one?

saraian is offline Oh Masterful One

Default Locations Locations which one?

Hi Guys

Just wondered if anyone knows anything of Nelson, it looks beautiful but are the job oppotunities there? Ian works in telecoms. We fancied Christchurch at first, and I liked the look of Taranaki, New Plymouth area. We will know more when we come in September but if anyone has any info that would be great. :icon_biggrin:

Thanks

Sara

nessie is offline Member

Guide to Nelson

We took a fancy to Nelson, but decided with a population of just 50,000 there would be better job opportunities in Chch. There's a recruitment company in the link called Fanselow's, worth a look.

Thanks Nessie, Yes we thought this might be the case. We are not really city people, wanted the slower pace. But have to go where the jobs are. I suppose the good thing is you can drive a short way out of the city and be in a quiet area. We will know more when we come i suppose.

Thanks again.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

More to the point, 5 minutes outside of most cities you can live the country lifestyle, but it's only a very short drive to work!

City life here is certainly different to UK city life. Even though we live in a city of 200,000 people, it doesnt feel like it!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Thanks Taffy, might still come to Hamilton then! :icon_wink:

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

One thing I would say to anyone when looking at where to live...

There are many places in NZ that seem desirable. We went to Tauranga and thought it was beautiful, and couldnt imagine living anywhere else. While Tauranga still is a lovely place, we ended up feeling very isolated, and it quickly became apparent that it offered nothing to us.

On the flip side, we came out to Hamilton for a visit and vowed never to move here as long as we were breathing as it appeared horrible compared to Tauranga. Now we realise how much more it has to offer as a functioning city, as opposed to just a beautiful place to be. Yes, its just a city, but its quite an attractive one, surrounded by stunning scenery, and close to several other major cities.

So remember, until you retire at least, the old saying 'Beauty is only skin deep, it's whats inside that counts'. Applied to a city, of course!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Yes I understand what your saying. And as far as we are concerned anywhere is better than here! Sounds horrible when we live in a beautiful country, but the why things are going just scare me. I don't want to live like that.

phill is offline Junior Member

Default palmeston north

Has anyone got any information on Palmeston North? I've got an interview for a job there and need some info. Can't get much from the internet - but what we can get looks nice but we need specific info on areas ( bad ones etc).

Thanks

Phill

nessie is offline Member

Try here, hth until some 1st hand knowledge comes along http://www2.piperpat.co.nz/nz/tourism/manawatu.html

F

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

About Nelson: I don't know about the job situation, but the area is very nice. I suspect the 50k population is just for Nelson; there are several towns/cities nearby, and the poulation is big enough to support a motorway for at least a few miles! Not exactly on my priority list, but there it is.

The downtown area seemed vibrant. Lots of lovely seafood to be had in the area. And Abel Tasman NP is nearby.

It's one area we're considering, depending on the jobs.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast