Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where do I go???????

deeteejay is offline Junior Member

Default Where do I go???????

Taffy,
    I have recently approached a company in NZ, on a preliminary basis, for a job offer. This company has branches in Whangarei, Auckland, Mt Maunganui, Hamilton, Palmerston Nth, Wellington and Christchurch. Which in your opinion would be the best location?? The job would be in the Transport Industry, (Truck and Trailer Rentals). My wife wants to start her own childminding business when we get there, and we have three daughters who will be 17, 14 and 11. We are not planning on moving to NZ until Sept 2006, but would like any opinions on the areas that I have named.

Deeteejay.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

I dont know that I could 'advise' you, so to speak. Where people live is a matter of personal choice...

I can tell you my opinions though!

Auckland.. hmm.. dont like it, would never live there! Don't fancy being tarred with the 'JAFA' brush (Just Another F****** Aucklander) by the rest of the kiwis! You also lose out on bonus points on your application for residency living within Auckland.

Hamilton, where we live now, love it, drawback for some would be not being close to the beach, but thats not important to us. Not too big a city (Just under 200,000 people) but very lively with very friendly people.

Palmerston North we've only driven through. It had a nice looking city, but we got the feeling that it wasnt for us.

Mt Maunganui is a lovely place, but property is extremely expensive there and there isnt much entertainment for the kids. Beautiful beaches, lovely shopping area, but very much a holiday destination.

Wellington... Dont know to be honest, tried to go there once but got so fed up of the drive we turned around! Supposed to be a lovely vibrant city, and people do seem to speak highly of it, but its the second biggest city, so quite populated and I'm not sure I'd fancy living on the largest fault line in NZ!

Whangarei... Dont know, never been, never heard much about it!

Christchurch, same goes really, never been so dont know much about it. Heard its 'mini England' (words of a kiwi!) as its a popular destination for brits, and also resembles a British city. The weather is also a little cooler than the North Island, being distinctly more british-like weather. Also under threat from sea swells so could get a little damp there at times!

These are just my opinions though, and some are only through what I've heard, so some things could be wrong! Hamilton and Mt Maunganui are the only places I know well, so they are more accurate :icon_biggrin:
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Default Forgot Napier

Taffy,
    Many thanks for your very quick reply, but forgot to mention there is also a depot in Napier. If anyone else has any views on my original post, please feel free to chip in.

Deeteejay.

nessie is offline Member

[quote:941f95a0ea="Taffy"] Don't fancy being tarred with the 'JAFA' brush (Just Another F****** Aucklander)[/quote:941f95a0ea]

:043:

Hadn't heard that one :icon_mrgreen: Auckland AKA Yuckland. TBH I'm sure it must have its merits otherwise 1.4 million people wouldn't live there...but one of the attractions of NZ for us is less crowding, so not for us.

We have chosen Chch, its as much a lifestyle move as anything and we feel Sth Island has more to offer/see/do. Nelson would have been first choice, but smaller population means less business opportunities. Chch as 2nd largest NZ city but only 350k people ticked all the boxes. Climate is not as warm as NI but then again its not as humid in summer.

Wellington apparently is very cosmopolitan and lively, but has over 200 windy days a year. The weather put us off.

EDIT: Wanganui (not Whangarei, oops they sound a bit similar :icon_rolleyes: ) is a good spot for boat rides up the river to beautiful countryside. Its also home to Genie4x4 that sell bits to modify your suv. Its on the must visit list.

Napier has fantastic weather and famous for its Art Deco architecture. Nice place.

I can recommend the Rough Guide to NZ . I haven't tested it yet, but its full of information; maps, what to do, eat, sleep, history etc. Its been my favourite dunny read for months now, and I'm sure it will be much used when we get there. Should give you enough information to make an informed decision if you are lucky enough to have the choice of all those locations.

F

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

I was addicted to the Rough Guide to NZ, but when we got here I found that views expressed in that book are incredibly personal ones, and don't reflect our opinions of some of the areas.

It it a very informative book though, with lots listed to see and do!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

netchicken is offline Senior Member

I'm in chch, ask me if you want to know anything, :)

Having moved down from Hamilton about 10 years ago, I wouldn't move back. Compared to the SI, the NI is over populated and less interesting scenically and outdoor wise.

Default Christchurch

Thanks for all your replies so far, you have given us a few things to think about. To Netchicken, what are the best areas in Christchurch to live, best schools, etc. etc. Also my wife would like to set up as a childminder/early childhood educator, do you know if there is any call for this in Christchurch.

Deeteejay

netchicken is offline Senior Member

Best areas .... hmmm ... probably the best way of looking at it is to avoid the worst areas, which are few. Aranui, bexley, are the most avoided. (Yet if you drove through them you wouldn't even notice the diference sometimes). Basically if you are buying around the medium $260K - $350K then you can just pick where you want to live, of course the best places are on the hills, and near the sea, Sumner.

Personally I live in the South of the city, and it suits me, less traffic, and close to the hills I love.

Best schools is also an issue for debate, Certianly again there are the worst schools, they are in the worst areas :), such as Linwood High, Aranui High, etc, but that isn't really fair as there are good aspects to all schools.

Some of the "best" schools have rotton apples in them, bullying, poor teachers, etc.

I hate to be vague, but although I can say the Private schools are best, or Burnside for music, some of the others are also great, and I have seen enough students as refugees from those schools to know that they are not all perfect under the bonnet.

Can't help with your wife's situation except to say that it shouldn't be an issue as there are copious schools around catering to that part of the market, and she should easily pick up a position. However in terms of teaching Chch is a demanded city where people want to come and few want to leave.

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Hi Netchicken
    We're seriously considering Christchurch when we come over, gotta ask (sorry for the hijack), whats so bad about these areas bexley etc? I mean is it just underclass people that live there or are we talking, gangstas graffitti and garbage? (For fear of pigeon holing)

moggy is offline God like figure

[quote:97d6d15e8b="SteveyC"]
    whats so bad about these areas bexley etc? I mean is it just underclass people that live there or are we talking, gangstas graffitti and garbage? (For fear of pigeon holing)[/quote:97d6d15e8b]

I can't say for these areas specifically, but having just come back from a 3 week trip, inc several days in chch, I can say that in general we were impressed with the lack of grafetti and rubbish everywhere we went and also the aparent low theft rate judging by the items that people felt safe to leave out in their gardens. I read on the net someone (sorry can't remember where) that the crime rate is falling in NZ, even though it was never particularly high in the first place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast