Thread: Where in Northland

DawnMarron is offline Oh Masterful One

Default Where in Northland

Hi y'all, we really fancy Northland can anyone tell us whatit's like up there? Never been to NZ so can't get a handle on how the townships are set out. Is it sprawlly or, compact or a bit of both, are therre larger towns or are they allsmall settlements? So hard to get a picture. Where we live in the UK, Sherwood Forest about 2 miles from Robin Hoods famous tree, it's semi rural, i.e. good roads and town, schools accessible within 15 mins or so but far enough away to be quiet. Schhols are really important as we have 3 kids, one 14 year old who will be at at a crucial stage in her schooling very soon. Also I teach singing, drama privately so I have to have a c lient base! Can anyone advise?
    Thanks muchly! xx

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Default Re: Where in Northland

[quote:1de11b262c="Dawn Marron"]Hi y'all, we really fancy Northland can anyone tell us whatit's like up there? Never been to NZ so can't get a handle on how the townships are set out. Is it sprawlly or, compact or a bit of both, are therre larger towns or are they allsmall settlements? So hard to get a picture. Where we live in the UK, Sherwood Forest about 2 miles from Robin Hoods famous tree, it's semi rural, i.e. good roads and town, schools accessible within 15 mins or so but far enough away to be quiet. Schhols are really important as we have 3 kids, one 14 year old who will be at at a crucial stage in her schooling very soon. Also I teach singing, drama privately so I have to have a c lient base! Can anyone advise?
    Thanks muchly! xx[/quote:1de11b262c]

Hi Dawn,

Was in two minds whether to post a reply as we are not in NZ yet. We are headed to Northland - Kerikeri in the Bay of Islands, basically because husband liked the look of it. :icon_rolleyes: I did some investigating and found it was NZ's 'top small town' :icon_cool: and also good for schools. Of course, our kids have yet to experience them; if you can wait until July/August I can let you know. :icon_biggrin:

Most areas to the north of Whangarei are small. Kerikeri has only about 6,000 people, other BOI towns are around the same size, give or take a thousand. Kaitaia is a bit bigger but no idea of population. Whangarei is the nearest city - at a population of 68,000.

Re schools: all I can suggest is look on www.ero.govt.co.nz at all schools in the area and laboriously read up on their reports. Plugging in various schools into google may come up with individual school websites. For good high schooling in the BOI it seems you have to be in the Kerikeri catchment area as if you live in Paihia/Russell the zoned school is in Kawakawa - not so nice. :icon_neutral: There is a small private school in Kerikeri ... my eldest son is v.bright and I will be sending him there.

It is hard deciding where to head for - schools and work both come into the equation. Whangarei probably has more work opportunities ... and probably the place to head for on the first onset.

Happy researching. ::):
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

DawnMarron is offline Oh Masterful One

Default Where in Northland

Thank you for your reply. The link to school sites was really helpful, I see what you mean about trawling through the lists, but you have to get it right don't you? Like you, all of our three children 14, 9 and the little one who is only 3 , have been identified talented and gifted, so we need to make the right choices! This has been one of the most important choices of all for us when deciding to emigrate.
    Thanks again
    Dawn