Thread: how is pakauranga?

lisam is offline Junior Member

Default how is pakauranga?

hi there,
    we are a family with three children and will soon be moving from ireland to auckland, pakauranga area to be exact, what is it like, can you recommend any good areas or areas to avoid. we dont plan on being in the city for long, hopefully not atall, but my job is based there for now, we were hoping for a nice area with ammenities for us all. ive read on this forum that southern auckland is like a ghetto which has us very worried, is this true, wed love to get a recommendation from someone in the know , we would greatly value any help at this stage. we hope to be over there around june all going well. we shall be renting initially and then buying in a nice area a year or so down the line.
    thanks lisa

Nonie is offline Member

Hey Lisa. Only just noticed that you're in Ireland too. Where are you? My hubby is a kiwi and as soon as we can sell our house :icon_rolleyes: we'll be going to Auckland too. His family are on the North Shore but we're hoping to be in Titirangi (West Auckland). We live in Mountmellick, Co Laois.

On South Auckland. I'll try to find out some info for you if you like, ah I'll do it anyway :icon_biggrin:

Good luck.

Norah

Nonie is offline Member

Lisa - I've sent you a pm.

Default hi norah!

hi there
    we are in inchigeela, a small villge south of cork city. when our contracts are signed here on the house sale we shall be off into the blue yonder and we cant wait. id love any info on anything nz and thanks. you said you sent me a pm......... what is that. when are you going over, do you have children?
    lisa m

Nonie is offline Member

A pm is a private message - when you log in you should be able to see at the top of the page - Search, memberlist, usergroups etc - a message saying that you have 1 new message.

Our house has been on the market for nearly 5 months now and nada, nothing, zilch! Hard to believe over here isn't it? It's an old house and there's been literally hundreds of new ones going up around us so our market is only people who specifically want an old house. And there's not many of them around. We're going to change agents next week and may have to think about dropping the price :icon_sad: My sister is getting married on 1 October and we're hoping that we'll be able to leave the week after that.

I have a grown up son (23) from my first marriage but he's not coming with us. He's finished UCD this year and wants to get about a year's work experience and then he's going somewhere warm. :icon_biggrin: I'd say he'll probably try Oz first. His girlfriend's family live in Chile so he might go that way for a while too. That's of course if they're still together in a year :icon_lol:

I've never been to NZ but I've been researching now for over a year, plus of course there's hubby and his family so if you've got any questions I'll try to answer them for you. Or someone on here will. They're a good crowd.

neilw71 is offline Junior Member

Lisa,

We arrived a week ago and had to consider Pakauranga as an option. We went to see a nice house to rent at the end of Pakauranga Rd on the river estury. The house was nice, but the area was not the best, so we held off saying yes until it was the last resort. I am glad we found another house as I don't think it would have made us happy. The main road, I believe is the busiest road in Auckland! Rush hour is a nightmare as with all main roads. It is a mixed area, but not the nicest IMHO. Just close by, you have a great choise in Eastern Auckland - all around the Howick area and down towards Botany. Depends what you are looking for really, but that range should offer you what you need and has some really nice areas.

My advice would be to find a holiday rental - furnished for the period until your container arrives. That gives you plenty of time to find a rental that really suits your needs and puts you under no pressure to find one quickly. We would have done that if we had to do it again!

Good luck

Neil

Default Pakuranga and surrounding area

Hi Neil ,
    Lisa m's fella here , thanks for the info on pakuranga . Hope you guys are getting on oK .We had hoped to stay in a holiday let for the first to months and then until our container from home arrives .and meanwhile go lookin for rental accomodation . Have you both got jobs , are u lookin , has your little girl , started school ???? , where did u guys end up livin .
    Any advice on same .Did u guys have help on arrival (friends /relatives )or was it just up to U . We having great difficulty finding even a holiday let even with the internet . Getting no replies from people in NZ . ???? . I tried several mail accounts . where are U using the internet ? (.Int Cafe)
    Did U get a car yet , Hope we can meet up when we get there .
    Regards
    Mike .
    Attached to lisa m

neilw71 is offline Junior Member

Mike / Lisa,

We are just the 2 of us, so luckily no children to worry about, which makes it easier! We have rented a house in Botany Downs, which is about 5 mins from Howick and next to a big golf course, so really nice as you drive 2 sides of the course to head into either the shops or towards centre of Akl - next to see the greenery/open space first thing in the morning! We move into that next Friday, so still in the centre for this week.

We were on our own as the friends I have are all in other parts, but I know they would help if we needed it, so a nice backup! I am using a dial-up account that I have "borrowed" from my old job (they use an AT&T Global dial-up for the company's email, so as local calls are free, I can use this free - until they work it out and cancel the account!)

We got a car mid week - then dropped off the rental we had picked up from the airport.

The main advice I would give is don't panic :icon_wink: Easy to say when we are here and getting there, but it does all come together quickly and Akl has everything you need close by. I have one email contact who has a few holiday lets - we never actually looked at them as we did find a house, but I was contacting him just in case! I'll PM you his email and it may be worth a try? They do not answer emails quickly here!

Neil

DawnMarron is offline Oh Masterful One

Default advice from lisa m

Hi Lisa, just joined this forum and reading through some of the postings noticed that you are a hairdresser. Did you get into NZ on your qualifications or your partners? The reason I ask is that we are in a dilemma because my partner has taken a degree recently as a mature student but has no relevant work experience. Previous to this he was a qualified hairdresser for 14 years, would he stand a better chance using these qualifications to get in? Did you find it easy to get hairdressing work?