Thread: Auckland

jodyr is offline Junior Member

Default Auckland

hi all.
    just a little question
    me and my girlfriend are moving to Auckland in Aug/Sept 2005.

I was wondering if anyone new some nice parts of auckland to stay...and some areas that has quite cheap rent
    THANKS

fisheress is offline Senior Member

Default Auckland

Hi there!
    We are looking to move to Auckland in Sept 2005. My husband has just returned from his reccie. My brother lives in Mt Albert which is central Auckland.Very nice but more expensive.

My hubbie went further east to a place called Howick which is spit of land with beaches wherever you look.Again very nice and a bit cheaper.

I think we have decided to live on the eastern beaches of the north shore which is across the bridge from Auckland city but still the Auckland area. We have decided on a place called Browns Bay...more for the kids to do and cheaper than some of the beach places further south. My brother works on the north shore and apparently it is beautiful there. We've also decided on Browns Bay as we can drive a little further north at the weekend to camp.

Hope this helps ......but recommend a trip out there if you can. I haven't been yet.my turn in Feb!!!!

jodyr is offline Junior Member

Default THANKS

THANKS!! - I'll look into the place you have mentioned!!

hope your move goes perfectly!!

thanks again ! ! ! !

jamesthecarman is offline Oh Masterful One

Default Auckland

Howick is a nice area. I almost moved there myself (I went down to Christchurch instead).

Avoid South Auckland though. It's the closest thing you'll find to a ghetto in NZ. Howick is beyond that, so no worries there. North Shore is generally regarded as the best area (and Davenport is the posh area).

toots is offline Junior Member

Default Auckland

Hi, we live in the Browns Bay / Northcross area and it is very nice around here. There are some excellent facilities, both in Browns Bay and at the Albany Centre; a bit further down SH1 and you have Wairau park - good for buying electrical goods, BBQs, furniture, cars etc.

Beaches here are lovely and there are some lovely views out over Rangitoto and the Hauraki gulf.

I posted some pics a while ago on www.fotki.com/DT123, they just show what the general area is like and there are some shots of the rush hour traffic, which seems to something a lot of people ask about.

Here's a pic of the shops at Browns Bay

[img:1226700b64]http://images8.fotki.com/v140/free/07604/4/438130/1543895/IMG_0625-vi.jpg[/img:1226700b64]

toots is offline Junior Member

Default Auckland

[quote="toots"]Hi, we live in the Browns Bay / Northcross area and it is very nice around here. There are some excellent facilities, both in Browns Bay and at the Albany Centre; a bit further down SH1 and you have Wairau park - good for buying electrical goods, BBQs, furniture, cars etc.

Beaches here are lovely and there are some lovely views out over Rangitoto and the Hauraki gulf.

I posted some pics a while ago on http://public.fotki.com/DT123/ they just show what the general area is like and there are some shots of the rush hour traffic, which seems to something a lot of people ask about.

Here's a pic of the shops at Browns Bay

[img:937329c3c1]http://images8.fotki.com/v140/free/c60f6/4/438130/1543895/IMG_0625-vi.jpg[/img:937329c3c1]