Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going for a rekkie in January.

Ellienbrian is offline Member

Default Going for a rekkie in January.

Hi everyone, it looks like things are moving pretty quickly for some of you. Congratulations to everyone on their way to NZ!!!!
    I'm a bit behind you, but looks like we are going out in January for a long holiday. So- where do I start? Any tips for how to plan a month or 6 week holiday? Any help gratefully received.
    I'm a nurse and other half is a landscape gardener. We fancy the north island or north of the south island, but any insider info would be great.
    Thanks, ellie.

Zemanova is offline Member

Well that is a challenge and where to start. Assuming you are arriving at Auckland you will probably like to look around Auckland and then move on to Northland, the warmest but arguable the wettest part of north island. You can of course hire a camper van or if that is not for you, motels are the best bet. January is a popular holiday month and we have always been advised to book ahead. We hadn't and we have always managed to find somewhere. Motels rooms cost from $80 to $120 dolars per night for the unit. You will find them in every town and offer they are grouped together in the same road.

Returning via Auckland, I would suggest the Waikato region is worth a good look. We are emigrating there in May next year. Hamilton is the largest town/city, although Cambridge is nice as is Matamata location of Hobbiton in LOTR) where we hope to settle. Tauranga on the east coast is a lovely city, although the rest of Bay of Plenty is somewhat devoid of interesting area to relocate.

Hawks Bay, with Napier and Gisborne is a popular region for many Brits. Personally we haven't made it that far in 3 visits and consider it too far out on a limb for our livestyle.

Moving south you have New Plymouth and Wellington, although being on the west coast both are somewhat windy, but again popular destinations for brits. From Wellington you can take the ferry across to south island and from Picton you can travel south to Bleinhem or west to Nelson. We liked both of these towns, although to get anywhere from Nelson you have to cross mountain roads in both directions. Both towns however do have plenty of sunshine.

Haven't done much of the west coast of south island where the scenery is great, but so is the level of rain. I guess therefore you may wish to head down to Christchurch. If you do there is nothing much to speak of between Bleinheim and Christchuch and petrol stations are few and far between.

Christchurch is a great city and is our choice on south island if we decide not to settle in Waikato.

Well I could go on for ages and I am sure other members of this forum will have other and perhaps opposing views. Certainly 4/6 weeks will give to time to see the areas you wish to see, although you could be in for plenty of driving.

Hope this helps

Dave

Default rekkie

Thanks Dave, brilliant lot of info. :icon_razz: We're having a look at the map tonight. Any ideas on self catering? I know it's quite late to be arranging it now. Took a long time for the other half to fall into line!!!!!!! :icon_mad:
    Need to sort some flights out too so I'm down the travel agent tomorrow.
    Thanks, ellie.

Jodie is offline Senior Member
    Tauranga (since May 2007) - Wellington for 3 years before that!

Hi Ellie,

If you're looking at going self catering, then I'd suggest looking into staying in cabins at campsites. This is what we did when we first arrived here a few months ago, and the prices are quite resonable. We paid between $35 and $50 per night for a double cabin. The facilities in the cabins varied from site to site, with some having mini kitchens, and others having a toilet too, but all had good communal facilities with toilets, showers, kitchens and TV/Games rooms at some campsites.

It's quite a cheap way to travel and you get to meet a lot of people travelling round too.

Maybe worth a thought?

Jodie

Default cabins and campsites

Thanks Jodie.
    I'll have a look at campsites on the net to give us an idea of locations? It sounds like the cabin idea could be economical and a way of meeting people too. Will we want to come home though?????

Zemanova is offline Member

Hi Ellie

Hope you got a bargain at the travel agents. Probably too late now and sorry I was unable to reply sooner, but I hope you haven't booked to go with Air New Zealand. Nothing wrong with this airline, we have used them several times. however they do go west via LA and that is now a nightmare. Even "in transit" means entering the USA and all that that now entails.

If you haven't yet booked, you may like to try Travelbag. They are a brilliant company and you may find that you can get some internal flights free.

The only experience we have had of accomodation in NZ is motels ( other than when staying with family ). All motel rooms have kitchens and everything you would expect to find in self catering. You usually get free milk and we would often get a take-away and take it back to the motel. Take-aways are everywhere and very good value for money. On our last visit we even had steak and chips and all the trimmings from a take away.

If you decide to do a lot of driving don't expect to cover say 50 miles as quickly as you would in the UK. The roads in NZ are a lot slower and a two hour journey could take three over there, if only because of the need to stop off and admire the scenery.

If I can be of any further help about a particular area etc. jsut let me know.

Default rekkie

No-not booked yet. Flights seem to be disappearing in front of our eyes so we've got some reserved, but I'm just going to have another look at Travelbag. Didn't get much joy over the weekend, so I'll phone them. Thanks.

Ady
    Ady is offline Member

Hi,

If its any use, try the Top 10 camp sites. Stayed in a couple of them over the last couple of weeks and found them excellent - especially the Napier and Taupo sites.
    If you want easy in Auckland, there is one on Northcote Road. Just go north over the bridge, and take the Northcote turn left. 200 yards down next to a Pizza Hut, quite cheap and a good site. And you can easily get a bus into town almost outside.

Thanks Ady, we've not booked any accommodation yet so I'll definitely give those a look. Did you stay in cabins? If so can you hire bedding?
    Thanks.

Jodie is offline Senior Member
    Tauranga (since May 2007) - Wellington for 3 years before that!

As far as I can remember you can hire bedding at every campsite for around $5 per night.

We also stayed in a few Top 10 campsites and they were very nice - probably the nicest we'd stayed in. In fact, we stayed in the one in Napier too! In Wellington, the Top 10 in Seaview is the closest campsite to the city, but it's about a 15 minute drive down the motorway into the city. It's not too bad a drive though with the harbour beside you all the way, and you get a really good view of Wellington from the other side of the harbour too.

The cosy cottage campsite in Rotorua have got pretty nice cabins. It's right beside the lake and also has thermal poole that you can use for free.

As for Auckland, I think we also stayed in the Northcote site the first time we were here - I can remember being next to Pizza Hut!

If you know where you're going, let me know and I'll let you know if we've stayed in any sites there - we've done the North Island round trip twice now - once in a van and once in cabins, so let us know where you're planning to go and maybe we could share some tips!

Cheers,

Jod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast