Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: North Shore - Section Res

Milliemoo is offline Senior Member

Default North Shore - Section Res

Hi,

I'm new to the forum, but planning to make the big move in Spring 2006.

We plan to rent at first in Devonport, with the view to buy a building plot for our dream home.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a location which meets the following criteria:
    Seaviews, max 15 min walk to beach
    Walking distance to Ferry
    Big plots available ( min 1000 m2 )

I know I don't ask for much, and we'll probally have to comprimise on the size of land, but being close to plublic transport is essential. We've only looked at North Shore...is there somewhere better suited ????

Fly to Auckland 12th Nov - Devonport here we come!

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hi Milliemoo,
    Public transport is not of a good standard anywhere in NZ. If it is essential, then you can forget moving anywhere rural/semi-rural as you just wont get it.

Only places like Auckland, wellington and maybe Christchurch have any kind of 'reasonable' public services. Thats why NZ has one of the highest rates of car ownership ANYWHERE!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Hi Taffy,

Thanks for that.

We are hoping to find something on the North Shore so that we can scoot about on ferries when we need to go into the city. Neither of us drive, but are willing to learn when we get out there.

To be honest, I think we could be waiting years for our ideal plot to come onto the market. I think we'll end up buying a villa in Devonport for the first few years, which will also let us get a better feel for the place.

You wouldn't happen to know anything about planning restrictions on these old tradition villas do you ? Do many people convert the attic space into extra rooms ?

Thanks again

Jodie is offline Senior Member
    Tauranga (since May 2007) - Wellington for 3 years before that!

Can I just ask - why North Shore? From our experience of 2 weeks in Auckland, it takes FOREVER to get into Auckland from the North Shore if driving or going by bus/train, but only about 20 mins on the ferry - but if you don't work close to the ferry terminal, you'd have to catch another bus to work from here, and the traffic is really busy in the centre....

We've moved to Wellington to escape the traffic - OK it get's a rush hour of sorts, but nothing compared to Auckland. You've got the sea, mountains, beaches and the South Is;and is just a ferry trip away - why not consider down this way more? Ok it's a little cooler, but the last week has been between 10 and 15 degrees, and this is the middle of winter!

Jodie

Hi Jodie,

It's the weather that really appeals. If there were work opportunities in the Northland, we'd go further North. That said, it's always quite comforting being near a city. Anyhoo, we've got a trip planned for Nov 05, so will be doing some research while we're out there (eg: taking the ferry/bus in rush hour).

Thanks for the suggestion of Wellington. I didn't make it there last time I went to New Zealand. I spent most of my time in the Bay of Islands.

How's your first couple of months going? Did you secure a job before you left ? I see a lot of people go out on holiday in the hope of securing a job. Hopefully we'll have some job interviews lined up for when we go out next year. Fingers crossed.

Milliemoo x :wink:

Hi Milliemoo,

No we didn't have jobs when we came out (still haven't actually, although we've only been here a month and haven't really started looking yet!) but everyone we've spoken to has said that we shouldn't find it too difficult to find jobs - expecially in Wellington.

Before I came out, I thought I preferred Auckland to Welly, but being here and spending time in both, I find Wellington much more welcoming and kiwi-like than Auckland. People seem much friendlier - we bought a2nd hand sofa yesterday and the guy we bought it from came back to our rented place and helped lug it indoors, and then invited us back to theirs for a drink! We were round there for an hour or so, and they said to keep in touch and we'll go out for a meal/few drinks soon! My thinking is, we came over here for the New Zealand lifestyle and to meet kiwis, and it just seems much more NZ-like down here in Welly than in Auckland.

As for the weather, up til yesterday it was between 10 and 15 degrees (middle of winter - not bad!), although the nights have been quite windy (but when you're in bed, that doesn't matter!), but yesterday the Southerly wind picked up and has brought lreally cold weather (well, about 5 degrees!) and they've had snow in places where they've never had it before! But that's the whole of NZ, not just here.

When you come over, take a trip to Wellington to see the differences and pop in for a beer/wine/whatever takes your fancy!

Jod
    8)

PS I agree, the Bay of Islands is lovely - but more of a holiday place than living there methinks!

Hi Jodie,

Yes, I know what you mean. Part of me thinks it would be lovely to escape the rat race completely and buy a small-holding further North, but in reality, I think I'd last 6 months before running back to a city. It's not that I love living 'in' a city, it's just nice to be near one, a bit like a security blanket......does that sound odd ???
    Where we live at the moment in Edinburgh, we are a 15min bus ride into town, but we live in a small community, I have a lovely big garden (quite rare in Edinburgh unless you have half a mil to spend) and everyone is nice to each other.

I can't wait for next year. It's been so long since I was in New Zealand.

Milliemoo :wink:

Nonie is offline Member

Default Wellington question for Jodie

hi Jodie, you lucky thing. We could be looking at going as early as six months now - just depends on whether we put our house on the market in the middle of winter or not! My partner is from Upper Hutt and had orginally decided that he wouldn't want to move back there as most of his family have moved north to Auckland. But, the closer we get the more he seems to be veering back towards Wellington. As I've never discounted it I'm delighted.

:?: However, he'll have been away for 12 years by the time we get there and places will have changed both for the good and the bad. If it's not too much trouble can you find something out for me please???? Stokes Valley - as an area what's it like to live in? It looks great but seemingly in the past wasn't such a great place to live (I haven't a clue, only what I'm told). We used to live in Bethnal Green in London and when we bought our house there lots of people turned their noses up (!) But.... we had the last laugh as the properties skyrocketed around there and it was a great place to live too.

As I say, if it's not too much trouble. Word of mouth is a million times better than all the stats in the world. Thanks. Nonie.

Hi Nonie,

We went to Upper Hutt briefly last week, and it seemed like a nice area (although we didn't visit Stokes Valley and haven't heard any comments about it I'm afraid - I'll keep my ear out tho...), the only thing I would say is it's quite a trek into the city from there, especially in rush hour as there's really only one way in/out from that area. I think its about 25km from the city, maybe slightly more, and would probably take 1/2 - 3/4hr to travel there in the height of the rush hour. This isn't out of the way I know, but NZers seem to like very short journeys to work and back.

We've just rented a place in Johnsonville, about 10 mins drive from the City outside of rush hour, about 20 mins in rush hour apparantly but we've yet to try...

We were talking to a couple last week and they said that people from the Hutt would happily move into the Wellington central area, but 'Wellingtonians' don't want to move out to the Hutt Valley - make of this what you will!

Hope this helps,

Jod

Nonie is offline Member

Default Thanks

Cheers Jodie. That's helpful. Looking forward to seeing more of your 'postcards'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast