Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: North island vs South island - Pro's & cons

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

Default North island vs South island - Pro's & cons

When we moved to NZ in 2008 we had decided we wanted to live on the South island and the Christchurch area. When we return, at the moment we are still planning to move to the same area. However we have recently seen a programme on TV which shows Auckland and the North Island. This part of NZ looks more lush & green than the South Island and boasts some lovely scenery so I wondered if I could get a balanced view of both islands with regards to work, property, lifestyle etc... Schools aren't an issue as our children are grown up and as a nurse work should not be a problem. Thanks in advance
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hmmm, not having experienced SI yet nor even the lower part of NI, I'm not well situated to comment on the differences between north and south but I'll have a go at pointing out a few possible benefits of living in NI. For a start, I guess living in or within striking distance of Auckland puts you in close proximity to what could be the best selection of job opportunities for all the family. Property would be more expensive in Auckland but outside it would be cheaper and commuting shouldn't be a problem if you choose your area carefully. Auckland is also more multi-cultural so there may be more tolerance to newcomers from abroad both in the workplace and socially. The north is milder in winter although there can be more rainfall than in some parts of the south. It is lush and green apart from after a long, dry summer but I'm surprised that you've heard that it is greener than the south. I would have imagined the same greenery down there. The north isn't so earthquake-prone as the south. You'd be nearer the country's main international airport thereby having more destinations to choose from. There are some great thermal areas to explore and other sights to see. And, of course, you don't need to restrict yourselves to Auckland. Hamilton, although it's not on the coast, is a great place to live and there are great walks for the dogs around Hamilton Lake or along the Waikato river banks. It's cheaper and you're out of the city and into the countryside within about 10 mins. Hamilton is a happening place and isn't too far from anywhere.

Just my ramblings.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

Thanks MB. We would never entertain living in Auckland or any big city. We never actually lived in CHCH - about 50kms out. What are the decent suburbs around Auckland? We are just looking into all possibilities. We will probably start off in CHCH as I know I could get a job doing exactly what I was doing before and we do know the area a little. Maybe once we have had chance to travel around we might venture North & move up. The coast does not bother us although it would be nice. The dog walks and scenery and quiet life are what appeals. Hmmmm - food for thought then.
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch

People Space is offline Senior Member

The part of the South Island you have lived in is the dry part. The Canterbury Plains are kept dry by the Southern Alps where the moisture in the air from predominant weather gets dumped! All other parts of the South Island are much greener and have a higher rainfall, except Central/inland Otago, again because of the Southern Alps. There are some amazingly beautiful areas in the South Island, and the weather, while cooler than areas in the North Island (other than the Central Plateau which has a cold winter climate), is not a harsh winter except for far inland, and even then compares very well to continental winters with deep snow etc.
    Living in a warm home makes any place a lot more comfortable too ;-)

Also, the south and east of the North Island are just as earthquake prone as any part of the South Island. Coastal Otago is a low earthquake area too.

One thing that is often commented on is the scenery in the South Island can be more dramatic and larger scale than in the North.
    Last edited by People Space; 16-01-2012 at 01:30 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nickydwuk View Post
    What are the decent suburbs around Auckland? We are just looking into all possibilities.
    Refering you back to a couple of brief but recent posts about places to live in Aucks and a little news article about Aucklands 'liveability' compared to other capital cities in the world here , here and here.
    Mother Bear

thedans is offline Member

not to hijack this thread, but i haven't been on here in a while and forgot how great the info on here is! also got me looking at areas around auckland and i started getting all excited inside! anyway I'm at the stage now where i feel useless, as we are just saving money and I need to start looking for a job. :/

So... Thanks for the NZ pick-me-up everyone! :D
    Submitted EOI on 4-9-11
    EOI Selected on 4-20-11
    Now it begins.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thedans View Post
    anyway I'm at the stage now where i feel useless, as we are just saving money and I need to start looking for a job. :/
    Saving money is NOT useless ! It is hugely important when thinking about starting a new life and will help to get you and your family off to a great start. Meanwhile, yes, it's important to start looking for work so I wish you the best of luck in finding something suitable.
    Mother Bear

MrsRose is offline Junior Member

I too am really interested in any information or opinions on life in the north island v. south island.
    We're planning the move to NZ sometime next year. And we can't decide whether to look for work near Chch, or on the north island around Auckland or Wellington (maybe the Bay of Plenty?).

If we move to the Auckland area, we'd like to live on the outskirts (we kinda want to escape the whole "big city" feel).

MrsRose is offline Junior Member

I too am really interested in any information or opinions on life in the north island v. south island.
    We're planning the move to NZ sometime next year. And we can't decide whether to look for work near Chch, or on the north island around Auckland or Wellington (maybe the Bay of Plenty?).

If we move to the Auckland area, we'd like to live on the outskirts (we kinda want to escape the whole "big city" feel).

Cliff is offline Oh Masterful One
    Blog Entries

Cool

MrsRose

The commute in Auckland is horrible. Think Palmdale to LA. Since your partner is a sparky you have more options than most. The farther out you get the less work and lower the pay.
    Cheers

Cliff

Nelson, New Zealand
    NZ Citizenship in 2000, been in NZ 15 years now
    Arrived NZ in 1997 from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

"New Zealand isn't just a physical place it is a state of mind."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast