Thread: Auckland - Where to Live?

Canuck is offline Junior Member

Default Auckland - Where to Live?

Hey all, am about to move up to Auckland in January .. have ZERO idea where I "should" or "could" live. Am trying to research, but I don't know places people would say are dangerous or not great to live in .. please help? Am going to be working in Manurewa, but am def open to the commute - up to 45 mins each way .. am hoping to pay about $300/pw for at least a 1 bdrm (with my husband) .. advice would be appreciated! We don't need "rich" but old and nasty is definitely a no-no.

Cheers!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

I've heard that North Shore is a good area to live but you may want something nearer to your work. Just a few suggestions of places that I've heard are OK but that doesn't mean that a lot of others suburbs aren't equally suitable:

Bucklands Beach, Howick, Maraetai, Papatoetoe. Ponsonby, Parnell, Rumuera, Mt Eden

There are some rough areas in South Auckland which you might want to avoid like Mangere and Manuwera. If you take something temporary, it might be a good idea to find out from your new work colleagues which are good areas to live and, by that time, you may be finding your way around and have a better idea about where you would like to live.

This might help with some background information on various suburbs.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Canuck is offline Junior Member

Default Thanks..

Yeah, I'm at the school in Manurewa until Dec 2012, so .. need somewhere that has shops around, and that can be easily commuted. This is the hard part now, at least I have a job contract first tho! :)

AaronReid is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
    Yeah, I'm at the school in Manurewa until Dec 2012, so .. need somewhere that has shops around, and that can be easily commuted. This is the hard part now, at least I have a job contract first tho! :)
    Hi there - I live in Devonport on the North Shore and can say the North Shore is a great place to live.

That being said I can advise that most parts of Auckland are good places to live. For convenience it is probably best for you to stay somewhere close to your work. Where will your husband be working??

The suburbs that MotherBear mentioned are good - I would also consider Boany Downs as it has good shops, supermarkets, restaurants, movies and public transport.

Best of luck and I hope you enjoy your experience in Auckland!

Cheers
    Aaron

folubode is offline Junior Member

west auckland like henderson is a developing and good place but I think priority should be closeness to your work so that you settle well at work and can then change latter when you know your left from right.

drake65 is offline Junior Member

I think Ellerslie is a pretty affordable place to stay and near the train station. Also is a secure place. Also the train goes through Newmarket. Areas of Panmure is okay if you stay near the place.
    Wings Hinterland Retreat
    31 Red Oak Drive Tallai QLD 4213 Australia
    Phone : +61 407 037 811
    wingshinterlandretreat.com
    Massive Luxury Holiday Home for 21 persons. Perfect for Family Holidays or corporate getaways.
    holiday homes gold coast
    Last edited by drake65; 19-03-2013 at 02:45 AM.