Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what's bad about NZ?

journey137 is offline Junior Member

Default what's bad about NZ?

The immigration website and people we know living there currently all paint such a rosy picture of living in NZ that I have to ask, what's wrong with it? I know the prices are more expensive and the standard of living seems to be lower than what most americans are used to, but quite honestly we already have a lower standard of living than what most americans do. Are the people prejudiced against foreigners? Some websites I've read say they are, but I don't understand that because so much of the country's income is from foreigners. Please post about what real life is in NZ, minus those rosy glasses

zummerzet_lou is offline your flexible friend
    Blog Entries

If you go into the blog section, I wrote a retrospective of our first year here, which covers some of your questions.

In short, people don't or shouldn't come here to be richer. You will get paid less, and grocery shopping etc is more expensive when you compare to your take-home pay. Housing is worse - we have a lovely house, but in the Winter only about 1/3 of it is warm .. Working hours are longer (coming from the UK), and annual leave / sick pay is less.

As for the foreigners ... we have come across some animosity towards "poms", but very out of the ordinary. Most kiwis are welcoming and extremely friendly.

Saying that, we have been here 15 months, and we would have to be dragged kicking and screaming back to the UK now - so despite the negatives, there are loads more positives.

HTH,

Lou
    EOI Submitted 8th July 2007, 140 points no job offer.
    EOI Selected 18th July 2007
    ITA pack received 12th Oct 2007
    Completed ITA posted to NZIS 26th November 2007
    Case Officer assigned approx 22nd Feb 2008
    Immigration interview 7th May 2008
    PR AIP 10th May 2008
    Arrived in NZ, August 13th

Check out our website -> http://the-clarks.freehostia.com/

I read through your blog posts. It was kind of fun thinking maybe we'll be doing that soon. I'm not sure if money is an issue, however. Right now we (myself, husband, and 10 month old daughter) live on one income of about $20,000/yr, rent a one bed apartment, have two vehicles, and we do fine with no government assistance. Other americans look at us and think we're crazy and poor and have so little stuff, but other than the fact my husband has yet to find a job in his field, we love our life here. We're not looking to move for money, we're looking to move for work.

What kind of hours do you work compared to what you used to work in the UK, if you don't mind me asking? Do the employers think they own you and treat you poorly and extremely strict?

zummerzet_lou is offline your flexible friend
    Blog Entries

I used to work 4 days a week, doing 32 hours in that time in the UK - managed to get my employer to reduce my days after returning to work after maternity leave.

I now work 5 days a week, contracted to 40 hours. My job is good, and most days I like it (we all get odd bad days don't we) .. and you are expected to put in the extra as and when required, and for no overtime.

What field of work would you be looking for? The number of advertised jobs here has definately reduced since we made the move, so might be an idea to check out seek.co.nz to see what sort of jobs are about?

Lou
    EOI Submitted 8th July 2007, 140 points no job offer.
    EOI Selected 18th July 2007
    ITA pack received 12th Oct 2007
    Completed ITA posted to NZIS 26th November 2007
    Case Officer assigned approx 22nd Feb 2008
    Immigration interview 7th May 2008
    PR AIP 10th May 2008
    Arrived in NZ, August 13th

Check out our website -> http://the-clarks.freehostia.com/

My husband's degree is in mechanical engineering, and mine is biology with secondary education teaching certificate. Hopefully we'll be able to keep me at home and just live off his income... or at least that's the plan.

kiwiguy is offline Member

Mechanical engineering should get about 70 k per year but it depends of course

I live fine on less than that but I don't work 40 hours

you should be able to live on one income if that is the case but it depends where you are of course like in my opion Auckland would cost more because the rent and travel costs would be higher than a smaller place

the standard work hours are 40 hours per week 4 weeks holiday plus another 11 stat days like Christmas etc and 5 sick days

And yes food and things can be more but it sounds like you already live without needing lots of things

hottdogg is offline Junior Member

Go to www.expatexposed.com all the downside of moving to nz you can find it there...
    I hope you don't get discouraged by reading some posts there. As a matter of fact, the info from there can make you more prepared

ladypippa is offline Junior Member

Smile living in NZ

Hi, my partner is a NZers, like all countries sure thier is racism,but is normally directed against people who just dont want to live by the way our way of life,NZers are decent people willing to give any one a fair chance if they will work ,live under the laws of the country as the majority of us do.We welcome hard working skilled people but get really annoyed with the few that arrived form overseas expect a free government provided house and a benefit payment every two weeks, usually they end up having large families which we the tax payer have to support so we complain and are called RACIST.Remember , I say you are very welcome to NZ if you are prepared to work hard and not end up as a bludger.We need approx another 2million people over the next 20 years in my openion , so i hope you are one of them if you are skilled and prepared to work.

1happywoman is offline Senior Member
    Kawakawa, NZ, formerly Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Blog Entries

As a nurse in the US with over 3 decades of experience, I can tell you I had one helluva time trying to get registered to work as a nurse in this country. I have found there is prejudice here - even if you are skilled and willing to work, not coming here looking for a handout - just a JOB. (I lost track of the number of applications I filled out - to do ANYTHING - before I literally got lucky and got a job at a DHB hospital as a Health Care Assistant, which was a major stepping stone to getting the registration.) My partner, a kiwi, was just as surprised (and disappointed) at the difficulty I had. I make a good living here, and it's because I do work hard. And, to be honest, I'm going through some not unexpected issues where I work - but in talking with other foreign (and young, less experienced) nurses, it seems to be the norm. So I am just biting my tongue and getting through it; I know enough to recognize it and I can deal with it. Some of it is because it's New Zealand, some of it is because it's nurses. Another negative here - they are resistant to change moreso than anywhere I've ever seen. I worked in the health insurance industry for 10 years before I came here, and one of the things I looked for were areas where money was wasted. Here, I can see thousands and thousands of health care dollars wasted because there is no incentive to change things. And they do some things here the same way we did them in US hospitals when I was a student nurse. And since residents here see health care as "free", they really don't care. And they don't realize the health care system is second rate. Yep, I said it and I really believe it. I see things every day that scare the hell out of me. People have to wait days for some tests and treatments that would be done in a matter of hours in the US. By then, permanent damage has been done. But, oh well, that's just the way it is. The saddest thing is, I believe New Zealand, because it IS a small country, has the potential to be a world leader in health care. Too bad it will never happen, because nothing will change unless there is a catastrophe that makes it absolutely necessary and without option.

My life here is simpler, and I do delight in the small things - like seeing the covey of quail cross the road when I'm on my way to work in the morning, or seeing gorgeous flowers in bloom, or just simply the ever changing scenery (which at the moment is pretty brown and crispy.) So, I'm staying, even though I know my partner is starting to get the itch to go back to Oz and make some money. He has been looking for a job for several months. So, yeah, even if you have experience and education, that doesn't mean smooth sailing as far as getting a job here.

Excuse me, though, as I must put on my rose-colored glasses and go sit in the sun. (First applying sunscreen so I don't develop skin cancer!)
    Arrived in Auckland on August 6, 2008.Now live in Kawakawa with my kiwi partner.
    I just started working at Bay of Islands Hospital at the beginning of December 2009.
    Work permit renewed and good until June 2010
    EOI submitted and selected, case manager assigned and ITA received. PR application submitted 28/08/09
    approved in principle 26/01/10, PR granted and received 19/03/10

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the honest post, 1HW. We need to know what's what, so we can make proper judgements and decisions. And it's not the first time I've read similar posts to yours. NZ Heath Authority, get your act together!
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast