Thread: Shopping in Auckland

Afsi is offline Junior Member

Default Shopping in Auckland

Hi
    I have a question. I am going to move to Auckland late January. Me and my husband are thinking about buying some clothes before our movement. But we are in doubt.
    I have 2 questions:

1- Do the clothes, shoes, cosmetics in Auckland really expensive or I can find some normal prices as well (but of course with good quality and beauty). I saw some jeans which are more than NZD 120 which is expensive for me.

2- Is there any auction in February?As a general question when the shops (like shoes or clothes shops) have auction in NZ?

Thanks and regards,
    Afsi
    Last edited by Afsi; 17-11-2009 at 05:34 PM.

People Space is offline Senior Member

Clothes in New Zealand are limited in range and higher in cost when compared with more populated countries.
    When you say auction, do you mean a big sale (as in reduced prices)?
    Clothing stores generally have sales after each of the four main seasons. So, part way through winter, the shops want to be rid of the winter clothing.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

It might be a good idea to stock up on clothes before going to NZ. I get the impression that, unless you want to pay a lot of money, the quality of clothing there is not the best. I think this might be the case for shoes as well.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Afsi is offline Junior Member

Thank you MotherBear and People Space.
    Yes, I mean big sale and since the seasons in NZ are different from our country seasons, I am in doubt if end of February will be big sales on Summer clothes in NZ. will be?

As you may know I am from Iran. Here, the foreign brands clothes & shoes (like Ecco, Merrel,...) are expensive to us (but we will shopping there). For other brands we pay more but get less here and also the diversity of colours or quality is limited here as well.
    To comparison, what we may buy here before movement are for example:

Men suit (a coat): ~ NZD 400-430
    Men Shoes (formal): from NZD 200
    Sport Shoes: from NZD 180

I am afraid of paying so much money ( ~ NZD 3500) for things in our hometown and fill our baggages (even may have to freight something) and when we move there see that we could buy even better things with the same price or even cheaper.
    Some friends told me buy clothes from where u r going to because the style of people wear is different based on the weather changes and their life style in that country.

Thanks and regards,
    Afsi

People Space is offline Senior Member

It is really hard to compare these things because there is a huge range of quality. A lot of the clothing sold here is lower quality 'fashion' clothing and not made to last, especially women's clothing.
    You could look at these sites for examples, but without being able to see the quality of the fabrics and the workmanship it is hard to compare.
    These shops I have chosen just because they are in all the larger centres.
    Tops. Buy Online at Glassons.com
    Men's Suits - Hallensteins
    Current Catalogue - Rebel Sport
    Hannahs > What's Hot > Current Mailer

sueblues is offline Junior Member

There are some useful alternatives:
    www.shoebuy.co.nz
    www.overlandfootwear.co.nz
    www.sandalup.co.nz

BTW, @People Space, the resource "Tops. Buy Online at Glassons.com" is dead already, plz remove it or fix it.

whoam1 is offline Junior Member

HI all, I have got my visa and now planning to make the move without a job offer T_T
    Since I will be going there to find job and have not confirm where I will be staying, I would like to keep light when I go over.

May I know if there is any budget store? In Asia, e.g. Singapore and Malaysia there are budget store like Daiso which sell everything at $2. Is there such store in Auckland?