Thread: Honest views....

Ginith9 is offline Junior Member

Default Honest views....

As some of you might have noticed i am having an argument with NZ immigration. They dont think the Falkland Islands is a comparable labour market.

So this put us thinking. We can move to the UK from here because were british of course. We can move over there get a job a house, schools, free health care etc etc or we can fight to move to NZ who dont make me feel wanted from the off.

So an honest opinion please. How has the move to NZ enriched your life, the life of your partner and your children? Whats so special about NZ then. We have been there and our initial reaction was "this is not so special after all" because NZ is considered a top location so it was a bit of an anti-climax to be honest.

And Why do so many Brits seem to be leaving the UK, what went so wrong?

Right over to you, someone has to be able to clear my mind of this pre-move haze!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ginith9 View Post
    Whats so special about NZ then. We have been there and our initial reaction was "this is not so special after all" because NZ is considered a top location so it was a bit of an anti-climax to be honest.

And Why do so many Brits seem to be leaving the UK, what went so wrong?
    A good topic for debate, Ginith, if we can only persuade some people to take part. This being a multi-national forum, we do have quite a lot of folks from countries other than the UK, which might cut down the number of people who would be eligible to provide answers.

Addressing your first comment above, I guess how 'special' you would find NZ would come down to what you've been used to. If you come from a country that has a lot of political problems, one where there isn't much freedom or one where crime and corruption are rampant or daily life is generally difficult etc. you certainly could find moving to NZ a very attractive option. Not that NZ is without its own problems, but maybe it is seen as a green oasis of calm after what some people in certain countries have gone through. On the other hand, if you currently live somewhere (normally) peaceable where everyday life isn't really so bad, NZ wouldn't necessarily seem that alluring but merely 'more of the same'.

We have had a few discussions in the past about what is wrong with the UK, but not so much in recent times. I have been out of the UK for 10 years, so I'm not really qualified to answer your second point firsthand. I can only pass on what I've heard/read about and this has coloured my decision not to return to live in the UK. Just a few problem areas cover....

The political correctness that has crept into many areas of British life now where simple things that have formed the basis of our culture and have been in place for many, many years have now been destroyed so as not to upset a minority of non-British people and those of certain faiths
    Rampant drink/drugs culture
    Rising crime figures, especially violent crime coupled with lack of support from the services who should be dealing with this
    Corruption within the government (in common with a lot of countries)
    The fact that several powerful Muslims appear to be exercising a certain amount of control over the country and are attempting to bend non-Muslims to their way of thinking and their way of life. The awful thing about it is the government seems to be going along with them
    Workers from other countries like Poland taking a lot of the jobs because they are prepared to work for less and (I have been told) are better workers

Reading the online UK newspapers every day might put you more in the picture. I just get information passed onto me from other Brits who still commute between Oman and the UK and who are continually dismayed at what is happening to their country and its people. If someone lives in a good area that isn't particularly affected by any of the above they are very lucky.

The 'Great' has certainly gone out of Great Britain but, as you say, at least they will take you in. They take everyone in .

I hope someone who is still living in the UK or who has recently moved to NZ can add their own points to this. Meanwhile we'll wait for Taffy to finish his UK holiday and perhaps he will also have something to add after being in NZ (and very happy to be so) for the last 5 years.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Ginith9 is offline Junior Member

Well to be honest the Falklands is a wonderful place to live and work WHEN things are good!!!

The problem is the size of the place, there is no room for error in any shape or form, and when things are not good they really are not and there is nowhere to run to nowhere to hide. There is crime here, but you see the crook most days and there is nothing you can do.

I personally have been a victim of workplace bullying twice in the last 3 years and this was by ďcontractĒ officers who didnít like me and just kept picking and picking because they considered me a second rate citizen. There is nowhere for me to move to, itís not like i just go out and get another job in a couple of weeks so i have to stay put and grit my teeth. Of course then you get labelled donít you, black balled, and it never ever gets forgotten in a small place like this.

There are lots of other issues which i wont go into. But anyway the bottom line is the Falklands might look like paradise but itís not, and i worry that NZ might look like paradise and itís not, and too us right now even the UK looks like a good option.

We have to move but where oh where!! My family are in NZ, and i want to be with them but is my heart ruling my head?

So we decided that life was too short to spend it worrying about what other people think about us or what they say about us that we needed to get a life outside of our small Island. This decision is one of the hardest we have ever had to make, we have children to consider and we are also a bit too young to stop working, but we want a life.....how does one get everything they want in one go, this is the question?

NZ immigration now saying our EOI has been refused sort of makes me think its fate...what to do, what to do?

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

You say you have already visited NZ and formed an opinion, but have you visited the UK to judge for yourself how things are there? Obviously visiting a place is quite different to living there, but at least you would get a flavour of the place, which might help you to make up your mind which to go for.

We find the kiwis much nicer people to be around than our own kind, which has helped us to make a decision and formalities seemed much easier to cope with as there didn't seem to be so much red tape to overcome (other than with INZ, of course )

Would it be possible to get a job offer in NZ and apply for a WP? Once you got a job offer, it should be a cheaper and more speedy route to get into NZ temporarily and, if you then found you didn't want to stay there, you could look to the UK and take your chances there. If you did decide to settle in NZ you could then apply for PR and maybe your NZ work experience would help with scoring points. Alternatively, perhaps you could apply for a Work to Residence Visa which, again is a temporary visa but can lead automatically onto PR.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

zummerzet_lou is offline your flexible friend
    Blog Entries

NZ is not perfect. In fact far from it, and for some it's not perfect enough and thus they emigrate here only to return.

You say you have family here? Then please pick their brains ... find out what their neighbourhood is like, the crime levels, and the general cost of living.

We've been here a year now ... and came here without visiting first (unless you count my 4 days in Hamilton?). We are happily settled, and truly believe that our children are having a better life than they did in the UK. However, that has come with the cost of growing up without their grandparents close-by which is not easy.

We have a nice house, a reasonable garden, a nice job and we have quite a good standard of living. We didn't come here to be rich, and therefore have not been disappointed.

Not really helped your decision, but it's only something that you can decide I'm afraid.
    EOI Submitted 8th July 2007, 140 points no job offer.
    EOI Selected 18th July 2007
    ITA pack received 12th Oct 2007
    Completed ITA posted to NZIS 26th November 2007
    Case Officer assigned approx 22nd Feb 2008
    Immigration interview 7th May 2008
    PR AIP 10th May 2008
    Arrived in NZ, August 13th

Check out our website -> http://the-clarks.freehostia.com/

steinbock is offline Member

As I have never been to UK I cannot comment and compare UK/NZ but I will add another view.

Some Brits say they are leaving UK because too many foreign workers are coming from East Europe (working better for less money). Are they any better when they land NZ shores? I would say this is a bit hypocritical... What if Kiwis would react the same way (in some ways they do but still, I haven't heard Kiwi say he is leaving NZ because too many foreigners are coming in)?

And another equality one, most of the Eastern Europe joined EU 5 years ago. We can work, live, etc. in almost all European countries (at least in those with open labour market such as UK ) however NZ still treat each EU country separately - considering all the Eastern labour market not comparable to New Zealand. From this point of view I feel with Ginith and her struggle with NZIS.