Thread: ACC and work permits

spid54 is offline Junior Member

Default ACC and work permits

Not sure if this question belongs in this category. What's the position on living in NZ on a work permit and being covered by ACC? I've heard thaat I am covered because I have a 2 year work permit, and would be classed as 'ordinarily resident'.
    Is it worth getting private insurance, if only just until residence comes through? Of course then there may be a waiting period with private insurance.
    I suppose that this question must have been asked before, so if it has then just direct me to the previous answer.
    Thanks everybody.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

You can read about it here.

Who is covered under ACC?

Basically, if you are in New Zealand, you are covered by ACC whether you are at work, at home, or out and about. It does not matter what kind of visa or permit you are on visitor, permanent residence or work.

If you are a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident, you can also claim for accidents which happen to you when you are overseas as long as you have not been out of New Zealand for more than 6 months.

Don't confuse ACC with normal, everyday medical care. ACC is for accidents only by the seem of it.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Oh OK. That's pretty straight forward.
    So the next question is - what is the stuation with normal, everyday medical care?

Blog Entries

If you are on a long term work visa/permit (valid for 2+ years, I think?), you should be able to take advantage of the state healthcare scheme.
    Mother Bear

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Yeah, if you have to go to a GP you have to pay as does everyone else, but if you are on a long term work permit you get part subsidised prescriptions etc.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Thanks for that. Eventually I found the Ministry of Health web site and they said that if I am on a work permit that lasts for more than 2 years, or a shorer WP coupled with any other time legally in NZ (and consecutive of course) that lasts in total for more than 2 years, then I am entitled to the same health benefits as a citizen. So that's a relief.
    Theoretically then I could be here on a 6 month visitors visa and then get a 19 month Work Permit (I realise that a 19 month WP probably doesn't exist but just for this example), which in total would be more than 2 years legally able to stay in NZ, and therefore qualify for health benefits. Ok I'm just rambling on a bit now.
    Please note that I said 'qualify for benefits' and not 'take advantage of' :-)

We could have a discussion about what those benefits are, and what the pro's and cons of private medical insurance are, if anyone is up to it?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by spid54 View Post
    Theoretically then I could be here on a 6 month visitors visa and then get a 19 month Work Permit (I realise that a 19 month WP probably doesn't exist but just for this example), which in total would be more than 2 years legally able to stay in NZ, and therefore qualify for health benefits.
    Hmm, I'm not sure about this, partly because you wouldn't hold a visa that runs straight through for 2 years. Your thoughts are to make up the 2 years by gathering different visa types together. I'm not aware that people on a visit visa would be entitled to subsidised healthcare, so this portion of your plan might not work. I guess you would need to show, at the outset, that you have a valid visa to take you through the whole 2 years to be able to qualify. I'm assuming that you would first get a visit visa and then, sometime in the future, you would apply for a WP. When you are on the visit visa, you wouldn't qualify for state funded healthcare. If your WP, when you apply for it, will be for 2 years and you could, therefore, qualify, that would still leave the time you are on the visit visa and unprotected.

Looking on here I get the impression that the bit about 'together with previous permits' mean other work permits and not visit permits.

That's how I see it, but maybe I've missed something? I realise you are hoping to make up the 2 years with time on a visit visa combined with a WP of some kind but I don't know if INZ would recognise this because, when you get your visit visa, you won't be able to show a valid visa for 2 years which is what you need to qualify. I hope you can understand what I'm meaning and I haven't made it too complicated by waffling on.
    Mother Bear

Blog Entries

This tells you a bit about how the system works although the info is a bit old.
    Some costings. This is just to give you an idea and the details relate to one particular clinic and would be for people who receive subsidised healthcare.
    A bit more about the health system.
    A few words about private healthcare.
    Mother Bear

Thanks MB for the links. It was me that was waffling on and not you.
    I have a 26 month work visa and so I am alright on the healthcare front. I was just waffling on about how the 24 months could theoretically be achieved.
    So I'll leave it there, and let somebody else worry about it, if it affects them. Perhaps the MOH web site is a bit ambiguous and it could be tested one day by someone wanting to add a vistors permit and work permit together. Not me though.