Thread: Shops in NZ

paigefiddler is offline Junior Member

Default Shops in NZ

I'm wondering what kind of drug stores, clothing stores, grocery stores, etc are there? Names? Any of the same that are in canada/united states?

People Space is offline Senior Member

A few of the major clothing ones are here. The range of clothing shops is much smaller because it is a small place :) and if you are in a major centre like Auckland or Christchurch, the malls are pretty similar with repeats of the same shops, so the choices don't get any better. I would come with clothes rather than plan to buy here if you are into fashion.

Grocery wise, there are 2 major supermarket chains that are local or Australian owned. Foodstuffs and Progressive with branded stores called New World, Pak,n'Save, Four Square, Countdown, Woolworths (not the same as UK), etc each with different strengths: price, range or convenient locations.

We don't call them Drug Stores but Pharmacies or Chemists. They have a dispensing Pharmacist for prescription drugs, and sell cosmetics etc and other profitable stuff. There are a few national chains for these.

Thanks!
    What are some of the few major ones?
    I am looking into moving to Christchurch.
    Are there cosmetic stores?

People Space is offline Senior Member

Yes. there are cosmetics stores in Chch. They include Face Stockholm, The Body Shop etc then there are brand specific counters in Department stores such as Elizabeth Arden etc etc and the cheaper shelf display products in these stores and in Pharmacies, supermarkets etc.

AmandaH is offline Junior Member

One of the larger shops in Christchurch is Ballantynes and they stock most of the major cosmetic brands check out their website on Online Shopping at Ballantynes .

Also Farmers is a national chain store that has the a good range of cosmetics their website is Farmers

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

There are links to some of the shopping sites here that I posted a few years ago. More may have come online since then but these might give you some idea of what's about. I hope the links still work, but please let me know if any don't and I'll try to update them.

I don't think anywhere in NZ can be looked on as a shopping mecca, but there's enough to get by as kiwis aren't usually as materialistic as other cultures.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

thanks everyone, i will check out all the links posted.
    i ask about clothes so i know if i should just stock up before i go or if i can get things there and looks like i should just stock up first. which is fine i dont shop a lot for clothes.

i ask about cosmetics as i am a professionally certified makeup artist and was curious!

thanks!

anyone know of sites that ship to nz?

1happywoman is offline Senior Member
    Kawakawa, NZ, formerly Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Blog Entries

Well, I'm from the US, so I will give you my impressions of the shops. There is The Warehouse, sort of a Walmart wannabe. You can find most things there - hardware, clothing, shampoo, shoes, some small appliances. Don't expect to find the range of goods or the quality. Most stuff is from China and not the quality you will be used to in the states. You can get prescriptions filled at the chemists, or pharmacy. You won't find pharmacies in grocery stores, here! And things like contact lens solution is found primarily at pharmacies. Farmers carries the higher end cosmetics, but they are too expensive for the likes of me! Even what we would consider the cheaper end cosmetics like Cover Girl and Maybelline are expensive here. (To me, anyhow!) I used to cringe at paying $10.99 for L'Oreal Double Extend mascara in the states. Here - around $22 to $25 where I am.

I can tell you that when I go back to the states, the things I will stock up on are Levi's jeans and Hanes tee shirts! You can find Levis here, but they run about $100 a pair and you won't find the range of sizes and lengths like in the US or Canada.

I'm not dissing New Zealand - one has to remember this is an isolated place and goods have to be shipped in and not necessarily manufactured here, so prices will indeed, be higher and selection less.
    Arrived in Auckland on August 6, 2008.Now live in Kawakawa with my kiwi partner.
    I just started working at Bay of Islands Hospital at the beginning of December 2009.
    Work permit renewed and good until June 2010
    EOI submitted and selected, case manager assigned and ITA received. PR application submitted 28/08/09
    approved in principle 26/01/10, PR granted and received 19/03/10

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by paigefiddler View Post
    anyone know of sites that ship to nz?
    There are 3 US shippers on here under Shippers but I'm sure you could find a better selection in your Yellow Pages (if you have such a phone book in the US) or you could use the online version. Also try Googling 'Shippers US to NZ' and see what that brings up.

Quote Originally Posted by 1happywoman
    I used to cringe at paying $10.99 for L'Oreal Double Extend mascara in the states. Here - around $22 to $25 where I am.
    Aaargh! Time to practice the natural look, I think.

And, yes, I think I would try to bring as many clothes with me to NZ as possible as the quality isn't always that great, nor the choice.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Thanks everyone!
    By the way, I'm from Canada not the states ! :)