Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's your Kiwi Dream?

Jetty Candy is offline Junior Member

Default What's your Kiwi Dream?

Most of us came to NZ with some Kiwi dream in our mind. We want to make the best of what nz has to offer. I'd like to share my kiwi dream with you, and you are welcome to add to the list. The immigration process can be daunting and it sometimes seems a long way to go before we get anywhere near settled. But to have some goals and aspriation will help me to focus on the little steps that will (hopefully) bring myself there!

* Big nice house with evergreen (and flowering) garden - this has come ture to us, though with a big mortgage to pay
    * Less stressful and more stable jobs - mmm, our jobs are sort of stable, but still a bit stressful
    * Good quality, all-rounded education for children but with less pressure and stress - a bit dissapointed with the pre-school childcare. DS is about to start school this summer, we'll see...
    * A lot of Time on the beach for the fun stuff...unfortunately we live in a inland town, nearest beach is 1hr away
    * BBQ in the backyard with family and friends- BBQ is there, but family is far away, hopefully make some good friends here
    * Enjoy the fresh seafood. I love seafood, but it's very dissapointing to see the price tag and there is VERY VERY LITTLE variaties. Come on, it's an island country, isn't it!!!!
    * Join some local clubs - yet to find time
    * Take advantage of the nice cheap golf courses, which seems to be everywhere
    * Camping
    * A family boat - and time to be in it
    * A utility truck - to tow the boat the the camping gear
    * A family bach - this will be a real stretch with the increased property price
    * Catch a lot of trouts (this one from my hubby)
    * A lot of tramps and finish all the DOC Great Walks -Done 3 so far
    * A workshop in the garage with all the tools for handy man (also from hubby)i.e. toys for big boys (I added)
    * Grow my own veges - yet to find time, and our backyard is too small for this

What's your kiwi dream?

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Good thread starter Jetty. Pity we haven't had any takers yet . I'll try to post something tomorrow when I have more time. Bedtime now.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Duke is offline Senior Member

Ill try this even though I havent made the leap

* enjoy the peace and quiet of less population and politics
    * tramp remote areas, even off the beaten path...explore
    * raise two beautiful daughters and hope to not fight off loons in teenage years...ya right!
    * experience NZ with grandchildren when older
    * meet people, be accepted through a nice Maori family
    * take in the crisp air, and ocean fishy mist
    * learn how to fish and have patience to do so...ocean, lake , river
    * try surfing
    * be able to purchase a home in 25 years...to pass down
    * ride a motor bike(enduro) to work
    * live close to work and have a respectable job
    * scuba dive!!!! anywhere I can
    * get focused on health riding a bicycle
    * photograph the flora, landscapes
    * oil paint more often
    * live simple, not materialistic
    * travel the islands of the South Pacific...maybe see Antartica
    * learn how to sail...on a good friends boat..lol, hate the maintenance
    * show the family at home how beautiful NZ is, hopefully more than once
    * retire in the woods, not on a hospital bed

A dream that can be possible...just never want to be behind the 8 ball

Jetty Candy is offline Junior Member

Thanks Duke for sharing the dream. We just pickup some thing on your list that we'd love to do as well: scuba diving (need to learn how to do it first) and painting (hubby's keen on water colour). My colleague told me that if you write down your dream and share it with people, life will deliver!! I hope she's right.

Blog Entries

Currently living in the Middle East, our list is somewhat geared to things that we hope will be different from what we have here.

We are looking forward to....

being able to converse with tradesmen and shopkeepers etc. in my own language, knowing that there's a pretty good chance that we'll be understood and our wishes will be carried out as we intended.

being able to go out and enjoy the summer weather rather than hiding away in the a/c.
    having local people smile at us and share a friendly word.

after-sales service (almost non-existent here).

enjoying less red tape and being able to get things done with a minimum of fuss.

being able to go out without having to dress up and not having to worry about being judged on our appearance alone.

dealing with professional people of a higher level without the feeling they believe they are superior to us.

helpful shop assistants who are prepared to spend time explaining their products or even know something about the products they are selling.

enjoying some good walks with lovely scenery.

dealing with young people who are polite and friendly.

having Australia, Tasmania, the Pacific Islands and Asia within striking distance.

enjoying some wonderful bread products (not that great here in Oman).

enjoying reasonably priced and good takeaway foods, like a roast dinner in a box, which looked pretty awful but was very tasty and good value.

I'm sure there are a lot more things to add and some of them are included in what Jetty and Duke have already posted. I just think NZ will be a breath of fresh air after living out here for a long time. I will miss the endless sunshine though but not all the dust.

Perhaps some who, like Jetty, are already living the dream can post about what they love about their new lives in NZ, too. We can never have enough encouragement to make the move.
    Mother Bear

steinbock is offline Member

Wow, long lists

I am always reconsidering this as I am being continuously asked by many people here "Why do you think NZ to be better?"

- eat real food (since we came back from our recce, I haven't eaten much meat and vegetables/fruit), I keep dreaming on NZ rumpsteaks, fish (tarakihi, snapper), etc.,
    - be able to live in house (95% kiwis do), for a starter would do also as a tenant,
    - enjoy great scenery (I love mountains but my wife loves beaches), walk great tracks what I was unable during our recce,
    - give kids a chance to choose their option for schooling and later a vision for employment (not to live on social benefit with their parents after 20yrs of schooling )
    - change environment as I feel like a stranger in my own home country (not because of immigrants) as here counts only how much do you have (in $$$, car, house) and not who you are. But everybody is keep saying that this is not the case.
    - change my job otherwise I will land someday at psychiatry,
    - not hear anything about politics while listening the radio.

According to what we've seen in NZ, it is not perfect but it is far better than most of the Europe countries we'd seen and could ever be. There is just one major difference before and after our trip. Before this was my obsession only, now everybody is hardly waiting for the one-way ticket to NZ.

I guess other stuff you are writing about guys will come as soon we're settled there.
    Last edited by steinbock; 04-09-2009 at 09:22 PM.

1happywoman is offline Senior Member
    Kawakawa, NZ, formerly Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Blog Entries

I'll give this a shot, since I'm in the midst of trying to live the kiwi dream!

Looking forward to the time when my partner and I can go out and spend time together on the Serenade (40ft ferro concrete sailing yacht, moored in Opua) without me having to get there from Hamilton, spend a few days and then go back. How great it will be to drive 15-20 minutes from Kawakawa to the boat!

I'm looking forward to starting a new job as a nurse at Bay of Islands hospital! I interviewed on Wednesday and did the pre-employment blood work and swabs immediately after the interview. Of course, I am also going to be very sad to leave all the friends I've made at Waikato Hospital.

And even though I love our flatmate to bits, I'm looking forward to having our own place, however humble it might be, out in the country. Where we live now, we are on the bus line, so all day and all evening, there are busses going by and sometimes, back firing, so I am really looking forward to the country sounds - birds and cows and dogs, etc.

As far as scenary - last night had to be the best. We drove into Opua to have dinner at the Opua Cruising Club. As you drive in to Opua, you go down a hill. Well, the full moon on the bay with sailboats moored out there and silouetted in the moonlight was absolutely stunning! That, and we had a little penguin swimming around the boat a couple of days ago! I am always amazed at the little things here - like all the lilies that are blooming now, just growing wild in the paddocks and at the side of the road. (At least, that's what I think they are - sure look like it!)

Yeah, I'm really glad I'm here. It hasn't been easy, to say the least, but it's worth it.
    Arrived in Auckland on August 6, 2008.Now live in Kawakawa with my kiwi partner.
    I just started working at Bay of Islands Hospital at the beginning of December 2009.
    Work permit renewed and good until June 2010
    EOI submitted and selected, case manager assigned and ITA received. PR application submitted 28/08/09
    approved in principle 26/01/10, PR granted and received 19/03/10

cani is offline Junior Member

Also not there yet but Duke pretty much summed it up for me. Would just add, looking forward to doing business without a lot of red tape.

Kristina

moggy is offline God like figure

Well we wanted space and no neighboursSo we bought 10 acres surrounded by conservation land with the next house on the road 20km away, but still just over half an hour commute to chch
    We also wanted to be close to water so we ended up in the amidst two lakes and the sea.
    We wanted a boat - we got a boat - at the fraction of the price of the UK
    we wanted no mortgage - quite an achievement before 40 and no debt either
    we wanted to start our own business - we have just opened our doors as a small B&B and have the resource consent in process for a campsite.
    We also got the swimming pool and spa pool as well.
    We wanted animals - currently 5 pregnant goats, 2 ducks, who knows how many chickens, and 3 cats

And no we were not rich by UK standards.

The only way that the kiwi dream has not lived up to it is the lack of friends. But partly due to our remote location.
    Last edited by moggy; 08-09-2009 at 10:31 PM.

Blog Entries

Welcome back, Moggy. Good to know things are working out well for you. Good luck with the new ventures.
    Mother Bear

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast