Thread: Looking at amking a move

mcdonald family is offline Junior Member

Default Looking at amking a move

My family and I are looking to move to New Zealand. I am a History teacher by trade but have taught some Maths and ICT.

We are planning on a holiday to do a recce - probably this Easter during the holidays. We are thinking a fly drive starting in Auckland and working south.

Does anyone have any advice or guidance on making a move. Likewise if anyone is looking a History teacher who has written a number of electronic resources for publishing companies then I am interested.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Mcdonald Family, welcome to MTNZ.

Quote Originally Posted by mcdonald family View Post
    Does anyone have any advice or guidance on making a move.
    Could you please clarify what kind of advice you're looking for as this immigration lark is a huge subject. As mere laymen and unregistered immigration consultants, with the new regulations recently brought in, we are only permitted to pass on personal experience, information we have read about or our own personal opinions (I must keep reminding myself of this as I can get carried away at times ). Do you need help with the visa application process or with the actual move or both? Just to give us somewhere to start.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

francis1962 is offline Member

Hi Mc Donalds

We had 2 visits to NZ to suss out if it was for us

It most certainly is the most beautiful country

Be careful of the distances you plan to travel as although some places can seem clse onthe maps it can take a long time driving especially in the south island

If you are doing both islands remember that you can fly into Auckland and out of Christchurch and don't travel up the west coast of south island

There's nothing there and it takes forever to drive

Enjoy

Francis

People Space is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by francis1962 View Post
    Hi Mc Donalds
    Be careful of the distances you plan to travel as although some places can seem close on the maps it can take a long time driving especially in the south island

If you are doing both islands remember that you can fly into Auckland and out of Christchurch and don't travel up the west coast of south island

There's nothing there and it takes forever to drive

Enjoy

Francis
    Hee hee. This really made me laugh because it was seeing things from the opposite side to mine! When we travelled around the UK and Europe, we always overestimated the time to travel from place to place. Being a Kiwi, I am used to towns being roughly half an hours drive apart, or more. We would look at a map, and even knowing the distances, would mentally assume that sort of time frame, then driving around we would pass through a town every 10 minutes or less, and get everywhere so much more quickly than we thought!

(Note: as a Kiwi I don't use the word village - towns are everything smaller than cities here)

If you have the time, do drive around and enjoy the scenery. That is what the west coast has so much of - in between the occasional towns of course!

Cliff is offline Oh Masterful One
    Blog Entries

Beware Easter is a major 4 day holiday with many places closed. Make sure you have things booked in advance. You could get unknowingly caught out in the cold, literally.
    Cheers

Cliff

Nelson, New Zealand
    NZ Citizenship in 2000, been in NZ 15 years now
    Arrived NZ in 1997 from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

"New Zealand isn't just a physical place it is a state of mind."

People Space is offline Senior Member

Easter 2010 holidays (2 & 5 April), are in a block of school holidays that start then and finish on 18 April, so the roads, particularly at the start and end of the holiday, will be busy. Travel, such as across the interisland ferry, and air tickets, possibly even vehicle hire, will be more expensive and they will all need to be booked in advance.

I am not sure whether accommodation costs and availability will be affected too, but it may be worth checking.